I miss my ukes!

Bender

Reaction score
I've been on busines travel three weeks out of the last four and DAMN if I'm not jonesin' for a ukulele in my hand tonight (and previous nights)! It would be a great way to unwind.

I'm just wondering if any of you travel with a uke, on business or personal trips, and if you have any advice for carrying on a plane and such :anyone: I try and travel light (duffel carry-on plus laptop) so unless I check I'm at my limit for carry on bags (tho' I could prolly get a uke in my duffel).

That's why GOD created the FLEA! You get NO pity from me. :mad::);)

I just posted a link to the aviation security law on another string. - section 135 states that the airlines must make every effort to let you carry on, notwithstanding other requirements. You should be able to add an ukulele in addition to your briefcase and carry-on. I usually check my bag and carry on the instrument and briefcase/computer.....

If you're gone that long, take them along. On another note, with a super case, like a Calton, you can check the ukulele....I believe that is what Jake uses.

happy landings,
Pete

I bought a Ohana Sopranino mainly for travel. It fits well in a suitcase / carry-on (I've done both) and I'm not without while on the road. IMHO any soprano uke would be a good travel ukulele!

I travel quite a bit, both for personal and business reasons. And I always take my uke. (The exception is when I'm just going out of town for one night.). It is an excellent way to unwind when away from home and I would definitely go through withdrawls if I didn't have it with me. Never had a problem thus far with carrying it on the plane. (No way I'd check either of them.) But if I have too many carryons - and if I'm taking my soprano, I'll put it into a duffle type bag and put my clothes in that. Otherwise if I'm bringing my tenor, I can stick my briefcase-ish bag inside my duffle (as the tenor won't fit inside the duffle) thus still being at a total number of two carryons.

I just posted a link to the aviation security law on another string. - section 135 states that the airlines must make every effort to let you carry on, notwithstanding other requirements. You should be able to add an ukulele in addition to your briefcase and carry-on. I usually check my bag and carry on the instrument and briefcase/computer.....

If you're gone that long, take them along. On another note, with a super case, like a Calton, you can check the ukulele....I believe that is what Jake uses.

happy landings,
Pete

So are you saying that under 135 I can carry on my laptop (in a normal bag), AND my duffel (clothes), AND my uke? :confused: Cuz that would be sweet!

My experience with "sopraninos" (in my case a Tangi Manini) is that in GCEA the strings seem pretty slack. They seem to sound better in D (A,D,F#, B), or maybe it's just the strings I was using.

They are pretty neat as small ukes go. I like your idea of having a go in person first.

My experience with "sopraninos" (in my case a Tangi Manini) is that in GCEA the strings seem pretty slack. They seem to sound better in D (A,D,F#, B), or maybe it's just the strings I was using.

They are pretty neat as small ukes go. I like your idea of having a go in person first.

yeah i think the shop down the road from me has some in stock so when i next have some money i will go, because lets face it i will probably end up buying it or another ukulele.

Top Bottom