Best Solid Mahogany

I own a Pono tenor, a Mainland pineapple, a Martin S-O and a Bushman Jenny Concert. All are solid mahogany and fine instruments well under $1000.

Regards,
Ray

Last edited:
The 'best' one to YOU is the one that you like playing the most. The feel of the neck, the tone, and of course the visuals, are all subjective. What works for you is all that matters. Of course, with all silly threads like this, it will only become a raging popularity contest, and an opportunity for everyone to post pics of theirs, claiming to be the best, and demonstrating that your question is impossible to answer.

I bet if you ask 10 uke players this question you would get 20 different answers.

+1 for Bluke

So who makes the best solid Mahogany Uke (not including custom stuff) for under $1000?

I was about to ask a similar question, so I'll share my research with you, which will be slightly more eddifying than the responses thus far (probably Mainland my left foot :) ).

There aren't a lot to choose from, unless the mainland/kala/ohana/bushman offerings will satisfy you, in which case, look no more. But, if you want to buy the Ko'Aloha equivalent, things get pretty thin, quick.

On the cheap end, there is the Pono. Some people like them, most of the reports seem to indicate these are the low end of a high end factory, and like the Martin SO, too many corners are cut to justify the Pono's price over the Kala's of the world. That, and Deach says 9 out of 10 that he's played have problems. Deach's advice in that case was to try them first 'cause you might get the one good one.

Beyond the Pono is Kiwaya and LoPrinzi. Unfortunately, the price just jumped quite a bit, too. Couple hundred bucks from a cheap Pono to a cheap Kiwaya, and good luck finding a LoPrinzi. The word is, though, these are both very well crafted instruments, with a slight nod to the LoPrinzi for build and a slight nod to Kiwaya for sound. Mind you, my assessment is gleaned from a half dozen articles on the net, and after that, there is no more information to be found on them. These guys look like your best bet if you want to buy new. There may be some other makers in this price/quality point, but I'm not aware of them.

Beyond Kiwaya/LoPrinzi is Collings, Martin, and one or two more. At these prices--$1000 and up--getting a custom built uke starts to become an attractive alternative. I've heard good things about the Collings, though, and I love the headstock.
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/31813/31813.php You may be able to find a used Collings for under $1000, and that may be a good option for you.

For me, then, if anyone knows of any fine ukulele manufacturers selling solid wood mahogany concert ukes in the $400-$600 range, please chime in. If not, it's time to watch ebay for a used Kiwaya.

Beyond Kiwaya/LoPrinzi is Collings, Martin, and one or two more. At these prices--$1000 and up--getting a custom built uke starts to become an attractive alternative. I've heard good things about the Collings, though, and I love the headstock.
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/31813/31813.php You may be able to find a used Collings for under $1000, and that may be a good option for you.

Hey, it looks like the Pono parent company, Ko'olau, also offers mahogany ukes--their site isn't instantly clear on the subject. They are more expensive than the Kiwaya, but they would likely be beautiful instruments. I'm off to do some research! (I should probably do some work first, though...!)

I bought a Loprinzi Model A, and it wasn't hard to find, I just ordered one from their website. Also, Elderly has a used one right now.

It's very loud, and has good sound and playability. Action was quite high when I got it. Of my ukes, it stands up best to other instruments like guitar. But it's not as sweet as my Pono. I would say the sound is more generic, with a strong presence. It seems to be very lightweight with thin wood, if that helps.

Before you get upset over the price of a Pono, remember it includes a good hard case which the other's don't.

Last edited:
I bought a Loprinzi Model A, and it wasn't hard to find, I just ordered one from their website. Also, Elderly has a used one right now.

It's very loud, and has good sound and playability. Action was quite high when I got it. Of my ukes, it stands up best to other instruments like guitar. But it's not as sweet as my Pono. I would say the sound is more generic, with a strong presence. It seems to be very lightweight with thin wood, if that helps.

Before you get upset over the price of a Pono, remember it includes a good hard case which the other's don't.

From the LoPrinzi website, it doesn't even look like they sell model A's anymore. That would explain why I'm having trouble finding one (concert sized, thanks).

I'm still wary of the Pono, primarily because of Deach's and a few other comments. I have heard fantastic things about the company itself, and its support, and I've seen a few more positive reviews on the subject since then.

Have a look at Nalu Ukuleles . . . I've played their tenors and was completely surprised by their sound and tone. And yes, they are made overseas. There's contact info on their website.

I have owned a Loprinzi and Kiwaya both in Mahogany, and have have played many others; unless your talking a vintage Martin SO the Kiwaya was far better built then the Loprinzi, it was lighter, and it sounded way better. The Kiwaya I owned was their KTS-4 solid Mohogany.

I have owned a Loprinzi and Kiwaya both in Mahogany, and have have played many others; unless your talking a vintage Martin SO the Kiwaya was far better built then the Loprinzi, it was lighter, and it sounded way better. The Kiwaya I owned was their KTS-4 solid Mohogany.

I've yet to hear anything except glowing praise for a kiwaya, so I bought one from MGM this afternoon. Should have it by Friday, I'd think (hope).

Top Bottom