Bring UU to Philidelphia!

Ser-T-Fide

Reaction score
It seems like one the world's most artistic, creative and brotherly cities is just not very uke friendly. There are no festivals, concerts or even clubs. Jake will doing a show in November in Pittsburgh, which i am VERY tempted to go and see, but its a 5 hour drive away. I think there are some great spots to host an event or something that is based around ukuleles. Am I missing out here or just stupid?

Much love

I live outside philly and there is nothing at all ukulele related anywhere

You should start a club yourself. Put posters up in cafes and music stores. I bet you can scare up a few to start one.

I also bet you'd be able to find a cafe that would be willing to hold a uke-themed show.

Yeah, you'd think the city where it's alway sunny would at least have a few places to buy them. Not even a guitar center! (there is that one store that sells vintage ukes though, right?)

Philly is a great city for music. I'll bet there are more uke players around than expected.

Yeah, you'd think the city where it's alway sunny would at least have a few places to buy them. Not even a guitar center! (there is that one store that sells vintage ukes though, right?)

haha, vintage instruments. I was just there the other day. guitar center and sam ash do have ukes, just bad quality.

i haven't been to that store, is it on south street? i'm a little outside phillie actually. how many members on UU and it looks like 3 of them come from PA. nice. there has to be more of us. should we try get a club going or what? gotta start somewhere.

Coincidentally, do you guys know of any cheap luthiers in Philly, or anyone who could install something like a strap pin or pickup?

Yeah i live in NJ but i go into philly all the time. But it seems like there's not alot of uke stuff around in Philly. I got my first uke at this store on 8th street butthen the place burned down :( But i think there deffinitely has to be a cafe or someplace that would be willing to have a little uke fest.

i haven't been to that store, is it on south street? i'm a little outside phillie actually. how many members on UU and it looks like 3 of them come from PA. nice. there has to be more of us. should we try get a club going or what? gotta start somewhere.

it's very close to south street. www.vintage-instruments.com

Coincidentally, do you guys know of any cheap luthiers in Philly, or anyone who could install something like a strap pin or pickup?

sam ash could do that, or guitar center.

Yeah i live in NJ but i go into philly all the time. But it seems like there's not alot of uke stuff around in Philly. I got my first uke at this store on 8th street butthen the place burned down :( But i think there deffinitely has to be a cafe or someplace that would be willing to have a little uke fest.

ever hear of milkboy coffe by any chance?

World Frets, home of the Akulele is outside of Philly. Not much other uke options but it is aomething.

Ive been there a couple of times. they dont have anything really special. even the akuleles. they sound empty and plunky. and I personally dont really like the guy who runs the shop.

8th Street Music is in NJ now, not too far from the Cooper River in that little industrial park area. Near rt 130, near rt 70.

I'm right outside Philly but I haven't yet met anyone in the area who plays the uke, maybe we should all just get together and throw our own UU Philly Uke Fest :D

I'm also in South Jersey and somehow I suspect that if such a thing would happen as having our own little get together, it'll be 'round here.

ooh a couple Joisey gals. ;)

Top Bottom