For my 2nd uke: 8-string, 6-string - or just a different size?

chrisg14mac

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new Kanile'a 4-string tenor (it'll arrive in 2-3 weeks)! I am very excited - but I'm already starting to think ahead about my next purchase (I'm addicted!). I've always wanted to own a Kamaka (or possibly one of the other K's), but I don't want it to be another 4-string tenor.

Any thoughts about what a good second uke would be? I am considering going to a different size (e.g., concert) or staying with the tenor and getting a 6-string or 8-string. The 8-string is really appealing, but it doesn't look friendly to finger-picking.

Any thoughts? What is a good approach for a 2nd uke?

Thanks!

I would go with a nice soprano. That way you have the best of both worlds, size-wise not counting the baritone... and sopranos are extremely cute.

At least that is what I'm doing, after I receive my tenor Uklectic, I am ditching (read: giving away) my Mitchell MU-100 concert and ordering a soprano Uklectic. I don't think I'll ever own another concert ukulele, just not my thing.

I would go with an 8 string

the other night I jammed on a kamaka with the strings tuned the same except for low g, it was beautiful, experienced no problems on the picking.

I have both 4 & 8 string tenors, and a 4 string concert. Love em all. The 8 string takes a little getting use to but can be strummed or picked. The sound of the 8 string will blow you away.

making me jealous that the best ukulele i could afford after playing for 2 years is a tenor mango kala (and i only got that yestarday.)

making me jealous that the best ukulele i could afford after playing for 2 years is a tenor mango kala (and i only got that yestarday.)

I love my Kala Concert Mango, I get more nice remarks about it than my other
ukes.

In that case, go with a Kamaka concert. They're great instruments. I love my Kamaka concert almost as much as my Kanilea Tenor. Both strung with worth clears, and both with very different tonal personalities.

Top Bottom