Strumming

CheezeGrater

Reaction score
I Just got my Lanikai soprano uke the other day, and I was having a reallly reallly big problem, I realized I can't strum...I was waiting the Uke Minutes 2, and was trying to do what aldrine was doing, and I couldn't. My strumming sounds reallllly reallly inconsistent and some strings sound louder than others...is there any tips or tricks that would help me pick it up easier?

Yeah, this happened to me too when I was starting. Basically, your pointer has to gain some strength and muscle memory so it knows where to go. What helped me was going slow at first, and kind of using the finger itself to push a bit more through the strings, which will eventually become more subtle and natural. But basically keep your arm loose, pretty much only rotate your wrist so you can be consistent (aka, you don't want your elbow moving all over the place), and practice practice practice. Hopefully in about a week it'll come much easier and prettier to you.

Practice. If you've only been playing for a little bit you just need to practice more. It will come with time.

Try strumming over the 12th fret. Use your wrist more than your arm. Use your index finger if you don't already.

Thanks for the tips guys :) It's slowly but surely coming to me. I started strumming pretty much on the fretboard itself, and it is sounding a lot better!

Reeeeelax! ;)

Top Bottom