Painful Barre Chords GRRR

SeanKy671

Reaction score
So, I'm not a very experienced guitar player, and I was playing wipeout on the guitar. The same chords that Ryan (I believe) used in this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gE8Mrkun4

4--4--6
4--6--8
5--4--6
4--6--8
6--4--6
4--4--6

And that's what the chords look like
Barring the 4th and 6th fret

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this when barring chords on the guitar, but sometimes the string hits that middle joint on my finger
And it hurts.. It's annoying

I can't play those chords without hitting that joint!! :mad:
Tell me somebody knows a solution or can relate..

So, I'm not a very experienced guitar player, and I was playing wipeout on the guitar. The same chords that Ryan (I believe) used in this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gE8Mrkun4

4--4--6
4--6--8
5--4--6
4--6--8
6--4--6
4--4--6

And that's what the chords look like
Barring the 4th and 6th fret

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this when barring chords on the guitar, but sometimes the string hits that middle joint on my finger
And it hurts.. It's annoying

I can't play those chords without hitting that joint!! :mad:
Tell me somebody knows a solution or can relate..

Can I relate? Yes. For me, even worse is the fatigue in my forearm of playing a whole song of barre chords.

The solution to your problem is to slow down and practise not hitting the painful, then speed up as you become more accurate.

The solution for my problem? IDK.

Hey thanks, bro.. really
The solution would seem obvious lol, but I was just wondering if anyone could relate..

Get one of those squishy balls and exercise your fingers individually. Other than that you can go with lighter strings/lower action and trim down to movable chords that use 4 or 5 notes instead of all 6.

Oh yeh, no matter what you should practice several hours per day! :D

Painful Barre Chords

I know that can be frustrating learning Barre chords from hands hurting to finger positioning however, that's part of it in time with practice you will get better. I find that when doing Barre chords and I was also taught this by my classical guitar teacher a few years back. Is that when you barre a chord make sure you get your pointer finger that you are using to barre with as close as you can to that fret that barre chord is on. This creates a cleaner sound and the advice on the squishy ball is a good one that is one exercise that helped me when I first learned the guitar.
Keep practicing I know you can do it!

Top Bottom