playing jewish songs on ukulele

pamelamama

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a long shot, but I am a kindergarten teacher at a Jewish school and i'm learning a lot of songs for kids and for group singing on my uke.

I think I may be the only person in the Jewish Ukulele Music for Children subgenre, but what the heck. I figure if there is someone in the universe besides me doing this, it's possible they'd wind up here.

Otherwise, just me. :cool:

Mazel Tov, Pamela! You're a real mensch!

I think all the folk songs that are a part of the Jewish culture would do wonderfully on ukulele. And a lot of klezmer music, as well.

I learned hatikvah at one point, do you have any songs in particular you'd like to learn?

Great idea!

Uke music is always kinda happy. And Jewish music is always kinda sad. So I think bringing the two together sounds like a great idea. But, no, I don't know anyone doing this. But most of the classic Jewish folk songs already have guitar tabs so moving them to uke should be quite simply.

If you do a search for 'Playing ukuleles for peace' you'll see an ebook for sale that has good tabs for hava nagilla. (And it's a nice fund raiser for a group doing co-existence work in Israel.)

http://howtoplayukulele.com/how-to-play-ukuleles-for-peace/

Good luck with this project, and if you do make any original tabs in this genre for Jewish uke music, please post here as I would enjoy learning a few songs. (And how about some liturgy peices? L'ch Dodi or Adon O'lam?)

the dreidel song is just g7 and d7

tseem shalom, I dont know how to really spell tseem. thats one of my favorites.

I found a collection in some well hidden nook of my computer with about 25 different jewish songs, I sent you a tell about it

I found a collection in some well hidden nook of my computer with about 25 different jewish songs, I sent you a tell about it
Is the collection something you could share here? Looks like a few folks would be very interested... I would for sure. I love Jewish music... :D

I'd love to hear somebody do that!

Growing up in rural northern Utah, I met my first Jewish person when I went to grad school (I was 34)! She is (oddly) thrilled to have that title and she remains one of me & Mrs. Taco's best friends. She'd love Jewish music on ukulele, too!

Somebody post some!

Wow, I'm so delighted by the responses! I thought there would be tumbleweeds in this thread.

So, since I'm teaching kindergarten the songs I'm using are simple and kid friendly. I started to learn ukulele this summer in order to enhance my teaching -- I took voice lessons too. I'm hoping to have a bunch of fun singing and playing with the kids this year. Up until now I've just done my best with singing!

So, what I'm learning so far:

A couple of Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) songs you can hear here:
http://www.totshabbat.com/high-holiday-music.html

I'm working on Tapuchim U'Dvash (Apples and Honey) and Shofar Blast -- which I've transposed.

I'm learning Saalam/Od Yavo Shalom Aleinu which you can see done here by Ukuleles for Peace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JGaRLQTlo Stinkin' adorable. I have different chords than they use.

Also Shabbat Shalom/Bim Bam which can be heard here on Aaron Tornberg's site.

Another big one we'll do this year is Tree of Life/Eitz Chayim. Here's one version of it, not my favorite, but you get the idea. I like the round part, not so much the talky stuff they've added in.

That's what I've got to get started with. I've ordered these books -- The Complete Jewish Songbook for Children I and II -- I thnk there will be a TON in there I can use. I do have to laugh that they called the first book "Complete" and then they had to go and make "Complete II" -- guess it wasn't so complete after all, huh?

Found this link for Jewish Songs, guitar chords: www.jewishguitarchords.com

GreyPoupon -- I do think it's funny that even the happy Jewish songs are in a minor key. It's like, "So, what do you think you're so happy about, nu?"

Thanks for the support everyone! When I have a little more practice I'll put up some videos.

I know this is kind of a long shot, but I am a kindergarten teacher at a Jewish school and i'm learning a lot of songs for kids and for group singing on my uke.

I think I may be the only person in the Jewish Ukulele Music for Children subgenre, but what the heck. I figure if there is someone in the universe besides me doing this, it's possible they'd wind up here.

Otherwise, just me. :cool:

How about "Aloha 'Oe vey"

(Sorry. I know this wasn't helpful. But couldn't help myself :))

How about "Aloha 'Oe vey"

Don't laugh. My dad has long held the theory that the Hawaiians are descended from one of the lost tribes. We have Cohens, they have kahunas; they say "auwe" and we say "oy vey."

--Mark

Don't laugh. My dad has long held the theory that the Hawaiians are descended from one of the lost tribes. We have Cohens, they have kahunas; they say "auwe" and we say "oy vey."

--Mark

Next you'll be telling me about Gafilta humuhumunukunukuapuaa !!

Top Bottom