fretboard radius

grownupboy

Reaction score
hey all,

i love my kanilea but i kept going back to my fluke and thinking - it's still a joy to play! then one day i had a good look at it and realized it's got a fretboard radius similar to an acoustic guitar!

most ukes i see have fretboards that are flat as a barrel and i never really thought much about it. but this fluke is so dern comfortable to play... what's everyone's thoughts on this? i know kanilea offers a 16" fretboard radius as an option but how many other makers offer it?

karl

As a guitarist, too, I like a radiused fingerboard. Some of my custom made ukes have them, but others don't and they still play well. I'm surprised that a fluke would have one.

Flat as a barrel? That's a weird one!

My flea's fret board is flat lol. But Ibanez (guitar company) is coming out with a ukulele line now with radiused fretboards and all in the concert size.

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-Ukulele

Click the picture of a model and then you'll see the description of the radius on the fretboard :)

"flat as a barrel" i think i was drunk when i wrote that! LOL!

my fluke is several years old (one of the hand painted tiki king models from 04) so it's possible that they've gone to flat fingerboards now... it's also possible i got a crooked eye and can't see straight!

anyone from fleamarketmusic.com check these boards? let us know!

karl

Radiused fretboards are usually an option on customs (an additional cost) and usually not found on production models. I believe Dave Sigman of Little River Ukes includes radiused FB's on his builds.

Top Bottom