PDA

View Full Version : Famous Musicians You Have Met

Dino
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm curious to what famous musicians everyone has met. I have been fortunate enough to have met, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Tony Conjugacion, Kelly Boy Delima & the original Kapena, Aunty Genoa Keawe & Na Leo Pilimehana. Living in Hawaii and being stuck here, I havent had the opportunity to meet a lot of other artists, especially from the mainland..........ones i'd like to meet: Al Jarreau, George Benson, Jay Beckenstein (spyro Gyra), Chuck Mangione.......too many.....

Poi Dog
04-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I've met Brutha Iz (when I was working Hawaiian Airlines - he was a passenger). Also, The Rolling Stones, Audioslave and Fleetwood Mac (as a Flight Mechanic, our airline flew those groups to their concerts and I got free tickets/back stage passes, etc.) Fleetwood Mac was the coolest cuz we got to go to Stevie Nicks house to party after a gig in LAX. Wish I could have taken pictures, but it was strictly kapu (forbidden).

tad
04-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I was just talking with a friend about this today, but I met Mike Doughty back in 1996. We had a lengthy discussion about Michel Foucault (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault).

Other than that, I've briefly talked to-- like got to say "hi" to-- a couple musicians, but noone I'd expect anyone else to know. I've met some famous people, but mostly journalists, politicians, and a few "famous" academics...

Esy
04-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I met many Hip Hop singers and Djs on hip hop kemp in VIP bar ;D

dnewton2
04-15-2008, 01:28 AM
I met the lead singer of ALABAMA, i am not really a big fan of his music and can't remember his name, but i did meet him.

UkuleleHill
04-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Audio Adrenalin, Mercy Me, David Crowder Band, Hockey Player Gordy Howe. Ummmm I think thats about it... My wife has met Drew Cary...

UKESTAR
04-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Jake Shimabukuro

seeso
04-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Lenny Kravitz, Henry Rollins, John Mellencamp, The BoDeans... I think that's it.

I met Pearl Jam through Eddie's cousin Heather, who lives here in Chicago. Eddie's from here too. He wrote "Why Go Home" about her. When their first album hit, I saw them at least a dozen times. We got to hang out with them. Pictures exist, but my buddy has them. I'll scan them someday. Been meaning to.

I met Soundgarden on their bus. I went to a show where they opened up for Skid Row and one of these chicks I was talking to disappeared for awhile. We went to go look for her and found her on their bus. I hung out with them for about an hour drinking Asahi beer.

I met Lenny Kravitz and John Mellencamp just from hanging out by the back door after their shows. John Mellencamp wasn't very nice. Lenny was stoned out of his gourd, but he was super nice.

I went to an in-store signing thing when I met Henry Rollins. He was intense.

I met the BoDeans because I dated the drummer's wife's sister. They were kind of pathetic. The bass player was a drunk, and Sammy was a dick.

My best story is about Mazzy Star, and I didn't even meet them.

I had a huge crush on their lead singer, Hope Sandoval. (http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4524/hope2wh8.jpg) I went to a show and hung out by the back door waiting for them to come out. I'd waited for a while, and my friends wanted to leave, so in a last ditch attempt I knocked on the door of the bus to see if someone was there.

This dude opens up the door and I didn't know what to do, so I stammered out, "Uhh... Is Hope on the bus?" The dude said, "Yeah." I wasn't expecting anyone to even open the door, I didn't have a plan.

So I fumbled around in my pockets for something to give to her, and all I had were my keys. I took my key ring and gave the guy a key chain shaped like a rooster that was painted gold, and asked him to give it to her. He said, "Wait right here."

Soon he came back and handed me piece of paper with a drawing of a cat with wings and a halo, autographed by Hope.

I was delighted.

Later that night at the bar I cracked open a beer and it hit me.

I gave Hope Sandoval my golden cock and she gave me her angelic pussy.

:D

I was just talking with a friend about this today, but I met Mike Doughty back in 1996.

I love Mike Doughty. Awesome.

I've met Brutha Iz (when I was working Hawaiian Airlines - he was a passenger). Also, The Rolling Stones, Audioslave and Fleetwood Mac (as a Flight Mechanic, our airline flew those groups to their concerts and I got free tickets/back stage passes, etc.) Fleetwood Mac was the coolest cuz we got to go to Stevie Nicks house to party after a gig in LAX. Wish I could have taken pictures, but it was strictly kapu (forbidden).

Ooh! Tell us the stories, please!

Aldrine Guerrero
04-15-2008, 07:01 AM

Sir... this is why YOU are da man

deach
04-15-2008, 07:03 AM

AWESOME!!!!

Dino
04-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Good one Seeso. Good one!

vcowman
04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Ravi Shanker and his daughter, Norah Jones.

h-drix
04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
ive meet tom gabel of against me! and Pete Shelley of the buzzcocks.

Howlin Hobbit
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM

That's really sick, man. And I mean that in the best way.

(How did this guy know what I like?)

Plainsong
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Just opera people that no one will know. Heck, I didn't know them at the time, other than they were very nice and knowledgable people that I learned a lot from.

My dad knew some nascar drivers. One of them is a commentator now although his brother is better at it, and that would give it away to anyone who followed nascar.

JumpingPulgas
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM

LOL...that's classic :D Now, where can one buy one of those yellow roosters? :D

Dino
04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Ravi Shanker and his daughter, Norah Jones.

Oh my gawwwwwd. You met Norah Jones. She is so fricken hot!

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Does Marsha Heinz (sp) count?? lol - one of australian idols judge

mwalimu
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I met Jake in front of the Napa Valley Opera house.

I met Carly Simon, Russ Kunkle and James Taylor. THier kids were campers at a summer camp I was a cook at.

The best was meeting Mick Jagger on Mustique. My host introduced us and I was speechless. My host's brother, however says to Mick "If you were as good looking as Paul McCartney, I'd ask you to marry me", which cracked Jagger up pretty good.

NukeDOC
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
hmm, as far as famous... well there's jake. then i just met john cruz last night. shared a stage in hawaii with next g (this was a fluke at an open mic... they just waltzed in and stared playing).

davoomac
04-15-2008, 09:02 PM
WOW seeso. just wow..

I've only met Jake Shimabukuro. That's about it.

Dino
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Just Jake??? I live here and never got to meet the wizard.

Ame
04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
dang, I want to see and meet Jake. He's just mind blowingly epic and seems really chill with his fans. good times.

Well, I've met people you've probably never heard of haha Mostly Japanese bands.
ZZ, Poplar, Swinging Popsicle, M.I.A.M.I, Crack 6, Mechanical Panda, and The Pillows., there might be more.. haha

The only American band I met was Meg & Dia, ad I'm pretty much obsessed with them. Their music is just awesome, and some songs are based on Good Classic American Literature books. :)
Check them out: http://www.myspace.com/megdia

When I first met them, they were really chill. I love it when you think celebs are going to act all high and mighty, but then you realize they're just regular people like everyone else haha I just love them. :)
Here's a vid of me meeting them. gah, fan-girl status. xP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wALaaHgBBcA

Dino
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
That Nineteen Stars song was good. I liked that one. The others a little to hard for my taste.

Ame
04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
That Nineteen Stars song was good. I liked that one. The others a little to hard for my taste.

Oh I can send you their acoustic stuff. I personally like their first CD, "Our Home is Gone" (which they only made 1000 copies of since they were self produced.) over their second CD "Something Real". They also have an island sounding kinda mix of the song "Monster" and they covered "Santeria" at their recent shows which they transitioned from their other song "Masterpiece" calling it "Masteria". I love it. I love them. :D haha

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Depending on how you define famous, Nordic metal fans may have heard of The Black League. Tane (or Taneli) is my tattoo artist of choice and it's great going back there and chatting music while getting ink. Good for us that he's not going to choose between them. There last album is apparently more of a shift to southern rock, and he gave me a free cd, which free music pwns. And for southern rock, you can't really fault it but to say it felt like it was missing something in the instrumentation, like it needed an organ. Maybe I'm not the only one who thought so because their latest single has that missing organ sound and it really helps gel it all together. I hope they stick with that.

But I hope he stays true to himself rather than all the "this doesn't sound like your earlier stuff" crowd. Musicians have to make music first and foremost for themselves. Otherwise, it ain't music.

JoeyJr858
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
ooh... I've done a meet n greet w/ Incubus!

Got to drum a show for Fiji, that was AWESOME!!! Met plenty of my island heroes!!!

rayan
04-16-2008, 02:13 PM
My 2nd cousin is Matt Wong, the bass player for the 90s ska band Reel Big Fish. I met him once...

dafamcallsmebj
04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
hmmmm famous musicians....
i have danced for makaha sons...
almost danced with keali'i reichel.. but he decided he didnt want anyone to dance for him...
met ho'okena.. (got to shake hands with chris kamaka, he hepls make the famous kamaka ukuleles)
i never met them.. but i have an ukulele signed by Ekolu...

o yeah...
my cousin is married to jack black's stepbrother...my mom was talking to him at the wedding and didnt even know it!haha

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Tenacious D! I love Tenacious D!

delostech
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I met Robert Cray and the members of his band after a sound check about 12 or 13 years ago. While bartending at a theatre in New Haven, CT, I met Marvin Hamlisch who is best known as a broadway composer but is also a darn good pianist.

My wife managed some events at a couple of venues on campus while she was in grad school. She met Dizzy Gillespie and some of his band members, Stanley Jordan, and probably some others I don't remember. She also met a number of classical musicians at the time.

Since others have mentioned non-musicians I will add Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Al Pacino, Frank Langella, Bret Summers, Julia Childs (yes the legendary cooking show hostess), Kevin Clash (yes the pupeteer and voice behind Elmo, I have a 4-year-old daughter).

JumpingPulgas
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I met Wayne Enos of Natural Vibrations...he's one of the coolest braddahs on the planet! He got me in for free in one of their gigs in Santa Barbara last year. I was outside the venue waiting to get in. Him, Peni and the others were walking inside. I said what's up to him and chatted a bit. He said come with me...I walked in and the guy at the door stopped me to get me to pay the cover charge and Wayne said "He's with me" :D

Natty Vibes rocked the house that night. Good times :D

I also met Joshua Kahula of NuffSedd two years ago in Maui. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I went to one of their gigs @ Cassanova's in Makawao. I spoke to him during one of their breaks. Next thing you know, he buys me a Heineken and gave me a shoutout on their last song. It was one of the highlights of my Maui trip. :D

Nuke-ulele
04-17-2008, 03:07 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/2420294383_5375b327e2.jpg?v=0

I and my wife are on the left with my brother in law, and well..Bono on the right. I have also met Anthony Keidis and had a lesson with Herb Ohta.

tad
04-17-2008, 03:41 AM
I and my wife are on the left with my brother in law, and well..Bono on the right. I have also met Anthony Keidis and had a lesson with Herb Ohta.

Not to sound like a letch, but your wife is quite pretty.

Nuke-ulele
04-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Not to sound like a letch, but your wife is quite pretty.

No worries, man...that is nice of you to say, actually. She digs uke, too. A keeper, for sure.

Howlin Hobbit
04-17-2008, 06:37 AM
My 2nd cousin is Matt Wong, the bass player for the 90s ska band Reel Big Fish. I met him once...

Dude! I love Reel Big Fish.

I've met Jake and Petty Booka (the second iteration, not the most recent J-pop version).

I've met a lot of famous science fiction authors and a few actors. My favorite was being an extra on the movie "Three Fugitives" and getting to chat and have a beer with James Earl Jones. The man rocks!

Speaking of Darth Vader (ahem!) I also met David Prowse, the fella inside the costume.

CedarCreek
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I met John Hartford in the men's room of a little place north of San Diego where he was playing. We stood at nearly adjacent urinals and said hello, but that's all I'm saying.

;-)

Glen

Kateri
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I was about 5 feet away from BB King in a hotel lobby. Some lady was trying to hustle him for tickets.

I met Jake, and have a pretty embarrassing moment involving him. I don't know how or why, but he was on my MSN messenger list back in the day. Like when I was still in high school. I'm assuming Aldrine gave me his email address or something for whatever reason. And he had just played on Kauai, but I didn't get to see the performance. So I knew that he had met up with Aldrine, and he met our friend Stacy too.

So I'm on MSN and all of a sudden, a Jake comes online. And he messages me, commenting on my screen name which had some lyrics to the song Corcovado. He's like, "Oh you like that song too? It's a good song" or something along the lines of that. So we chat about that for a little while, and then I proceed to ask him if he'd be attenting Stacy's bday party. He's like, "Oh I don't know about that I don't think I was invited. I don't know her that well."

I'm really confused at this point, mainly because this whole time we're talking, I'm thinking he's my friend Jacob, whose screen name is also Jake. Then I realize...I'm talking to Jake Shimabukuro. I was completely mortified. It was very embarrassing trying to explain that whole misunderstanding to him. lol

deach
04-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I've met Dominator.

beeejums
04-23-2009, 01:52 AM
I got made fun of by Flogging Molly once because I was wearing a shirt that said "XXX STRAIGHT EDGE" or something like that.

I've met the guy that sings for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. He was wearing a white tuxedo jacket in 90 degree weather. He had cool sunglasses, too.

I met Sum 41, but I didn't really care that much... was never a fan.

I met the members of Eisley, but I don't think they ever really made it big.

That's about it... I met most of those people walking around at Warped Tour when I used to go... They used to have bands I liked at Warped Tour, but not so much anymore.

Ahnko Honu
04-23-2009, 02:10 AM
I've met George Benson several times while living on Maui, he and his wife even sat next to me and my wife at the Maui Cultural Arts Center for an event. My wife and I have known Lyle Ritz and his wife for close to 20 years. Grew up and were close friends with the Keale Brothers Bill & Mike. Been a friend of saxophonist David Choy since middle school. Close friends with the Kahula Bros. Dennis Jr. and Josh of the group Ho'omau for several years. Gabby Pahinui used to be my Rubbish man. Good friends since middle school is Brian Haia a well known ukulele artist on Maui. That's about all I can remember at 2 a.m. local time.

Buddy McCue
04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
I met Arlo Guthrie several years ago, when he was giving a free concert in Athens, GA.

My friends and I made our way backstage after the show, and Arlo didn't mind talking with us and being friendly. He didn't act like a big-shot at all.

UKISOCIETY
04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
As a classical radio host, it's my job to meet and interview musicians, so the list is very long. But some standouts in my mind are:

Stephen Kovacevitch, piano
Paula Robison, flute
Evelyn Glennie, percussion
Rachel Barton Pine, violin
Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach)
Jorge Mester, conductor
Pierre Boulez, John Corigliano, John Harbison, composers

Because we have an alternative music station in our partnership, I've been able to hang with other musical types:

Elvis Costello
Joan Osborne
Bela Fleck
Sam Bush
Timbuk 3 (long time ago!)
Nickel Creek

Biggest interview? I think choreographer Paul Taylor. Maybe the 45 minutes with Boulez (people said he never sits that long for anybody!)

Best moments? Going to Krispy Kreme late one night and drinking hot cocoa with Jonathan Richman. Also hanging out with choreographer David Parsons. I took notes for him during rehearsal at the Louisville Ballet.

hoosierhiver
04-23-2009, 04:09 AM
John Mellencamp wasn't very nice.

Mellencamp lives in my area and is widely known to be a jerk.

I've done some green room time with Toots and the Maytals, Joeseph Hill and Culture, Robert Bradley and his band.

buddhuu
04-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
Hawkwind
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Noddy Holder & Jim Lea (Slade)
The Damned
Angus (ACDC)
Roy Harper
Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)
Steve Harley
Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
Ian Anderson & Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Steve Hillage & David Allen (Gong)

When I was about 18 we used to help the roadies lug the gear after gigs.

Captain Google
04-23-2009, 04:43 AM
I met the members of Freezepop at last year's Anime USA. Had a brief chat and I went back to the dealer room to buy stuff.

ukulelefatman
04-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Poison
Slayer
LL Cool J
Indigo Girls
Peter Wolf
Pinetop Perkins
Robert Cray
Etta James
John Lee Hooker
Roomful of Blues
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jake Shimabukuro
Los Lobos
Carly Simon
James Taylor
Sha Na Na
Toots and the Maytals
Steel Pulse
Johnathan Edwards

...and many many more I can't recall just now. I used to work security. And also as captain of a ferry to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, had many celebrities up to my wheel house.

dominicfoundthemooon
04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
As a classical radio host, it's my job to meet and interview musicians, so the list is very long. But some standouts in my mind are:

Stephen Kovacevitch, piano
Paula Robison, flute
Evelyn Glennie, percussion
Rachel Barton Pine, violin
Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach)
Jorge Mester, conductor
Pierre Boulez, John Corigliano, John Harbison, composers

Because we have an alternative music station in our partnership, I've been able to hang with other musical types:

Elvis Costello
Joan Osborne
Bela Fleck
Sam Bush
Timbuk 3 (long time ago!)
Nickel Creek

Biggest interview? I think choreographer Paul Taylor. Maybe the 45 minutes with Boulez (people said he never sits that long for anybody!)

Best moments? Going to Krispy Kreme late one night and drinking hot cocoa with Jonathan Richman. Also hanging out with choreographer David Parsons. I took notes for him during rehearsal at the Louisville Ballet.

wow alan.. is that what do you for a living.. radio.. nice! and you have met some AMAZING people!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great job!!

or is this another LIE!!!

i don't recall meeting anyone anyone would know..

but i did meet this one guy.. William Fitzsimmons.. he was so nice.. and i love his music.. http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=5&q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DT3AB6NrfiaM&ei=ZozwSf2OBo_glQeW2vS2DA&sig2=WVoUL1iHoRtWdFm3CjkiuQ&usg=AFQjCNEWjfwVbN5oxSBXyyFo4J2XB7PR4Q

beeejums
04-23-2009, 06:26 AM
I met Arlo Guthrie several years ago, when he was giving a free concert in Athens, GA.

My friends and I made our way backstage after the show, and Arlo didn't mind talking with us and being friendly. He didn't act like a big-shot at all.

That's awesome! I grew up on Alice's Restaurant.

seeso
04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
I met Arlo's daughter Sara Lee. She opened up for Jake. She's gorgeous. Here's a pic of Lonna, Sara Lee, and me.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mm8k8p.jpg

cpatch
04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I used to work in magazine publishing back in the late '80s and my office was next to RIP Magazine, a hard rock publication. Here's an old commercial (I co-wrote the Gameshred column, shown halfway through the commercial):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVqCL9mkwo

I met a variety of musicians through the magazine, most of whom I don't remember since I really wasn't into that kind of music. The ones I do remember:

- Axl (went to a number of small, private events with him...not a happy person)
- Duff
- Megadeth (I laughed when they told me the name of the band...it so didn't match how nice they were)
- Lita Ford (really nice, really cute)
- Vernon Reid from Living Color (really nice guy)
- Anthrax

I drove by, but didn't meet, Ringo Starr one day in downtown Beverly Hills. He was walking down the street with a gorgeous woman on each arm. That was surreal.

I also sat next to Neal Young in the early '80s in a chiropractor's office once but didn't recognize him. Doh!

Lately I've had the pleasure of meeting Cyril Pahinui, Dennis Kamakahi, Herb Ohta, Jr., Keoki Kahumoku, and others thanks to my interest in slack key...maybe not so famous but definitely a lot more talented than most of the previously mentioned. I also had the privilege of chatting with Uncle Ray Kane on the phone a couple of times before he passed away.

seeso
04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I used to read Rip Magazine religiously. Ahh, the glories of misspent youth...

http://i40.tinypic.com/oibrld.jpg

cpatch
04-23-2009, 07:27 AM
I used to read Rip Magazine religiously. Ahh, the glories of misspent youth...
Did you know it was a Larry Flynt publication?! Awesome photo, BTW!

Jimmy
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
My brother met Speedo and had a conversation with him once. I'm going to count that one.

Hey, I'm still young! :P

beeejums
04-23-2009, 07:38 AM
My dad is a trust officer (whatever that is, he works with rich people) and he met Z.Z. Top once. He also met some ridiculously famous country music star while playing golf (can't remember who) but didn't recognize him since nobody in my family is a country fan.

seeso
04-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Did you know it was a Larry Flynt publication?! Awesome photo, BTW!

I did know that! And thanks.

Link
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Seeso, Aldrine, and Jason Arimoto have commented on a few of my videos. That actually means more to me then all the celebs I've met.

Well, except for Hulk Hogan when I was like 6. He gave me a shuolder back ride. Haha.

UKISOCIETY
04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Seeso, Aldrine, and Jason Arimoto have commented on a few of my videos. That actually means more to me then all the celebs I've met.

Well, except for Hulk Hogan when I was like 6. He gave me a shuolder back ride. Haha.

This is true. Meeting Seeso was one of my greatest thrills, music-wise. He's a fabulous human bean.

Ahnko Honu
04-23-2009, 10:41 AM
This is true. Meeting Seeso was one of my greatest thrills, music-wise. He's a fabulous human bean.

That's the only kind of human I like, the bean kind.

nikolo727
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Ive met Jake(obviously from the picture), Remedy Drive, Kutless, Esterlyn, Chris Taylor, I was going to meet B.E Taylor but I couldnt make his concert. My brother has been to a Ted Nugent concert.

And I know a couple of people who went backstage at the Warped Tour. The original Warner Brothers Theater, The original Coney Island, and the Original Quaker Steak and Lube are minutes from my house. theater was in my hometown. Bill Clinton went to a high school right next to mine lol. You could still see the hand prints from the secret service on the skylights of the main entrance room, two days after he was there. LOL

oh and if you guys have heard of Leslie Sansone, she basically lives across the street from me and Im in the same grade as her daughter.

Pippin
04-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I played studio for a bunch of years and met a lot of musicians. I also grew up in a music family. Some of my own family members were actually famous and well-known in the business (Stephen Foster is the best known of my own relations). My mother was a country music songwriter, so, before I was even high school age, I played guitar with a bunch of famous country music folks.

In the ukulele world... Jake, Victoria Vox, Craig Robertson (jammed with Craig a few times), some others...

I met lots of celebrities when I taught fly fishing for a living for about ten years. We did some TV shows and press events and I was heavily involved with that ...then, there was the trade show circuit that I did over the winters for years, too.

I also know several actors and movie makers from the fly fishing days and music work in times past.

Ukuleleblues
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
The biggest celb I've met was Junior Samples from Hee Haw. When I was a teenager my girlfriends mother worked at a 5 star hotel. I ate lunch in the same room with him, he had on bib overalls and that act he had on Hee Haw was no act.

GrumpyOldMan
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
A couple of years ago my son's band supported Glen Matlock, original Bass player with the Sex Pistols. That was a very special night for me. Just watching him play the Pistols songs acoustically was special enough but we got to meet him afterwards and spoke to him for quite a while. We had been warned not to talk about the Pistols unless he brought it up first so I talked about Basses and things and asked him about his time in Rich Kids but the subject soon got around to the Pistols and he was a really interesting guy.
Glen Matlock wrote most of the Pistols material and we are talking about songs which changed the world. He doesn't get enough credit for his part in the whole punk scene. I guess to any young people and especially to you guys in America this all doesn't mean very much, you had to be there to understand how important all this stuff was. If it wasn't for Glen Matlock, The Sex Pistols and Punk Rock, the world today would be a very different and much less interesting place.
Cheers,
Ian.

Ahnko Honu
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I met lots of celebrities when I taught fly fishing for a living for about ten years.
I also know several actors and movie makers from the fly fishing days and music work in times past.

Very cool another fellow fly fisherman. You ever fish saltwater for Bonefish?
We have some pretty decent flats within minutes of Waikiki loaded with large Bones. :cool:

cMejilla
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM

I second that sentiment as well

CoffeeMate
04-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I haven't met any famous musicians, no fair! My hubby met SRV right before he died and was almost fired from his job because of Meatloaf. Good stories, I'll make him tell ya. I've met lots of Sci fi authors and actors. We go to a sci fi convention every year :p. I acted with George Takei. If you count charity dinner theater and one line in the same room as him as "acted with" :D...which I DO.

Kateri
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I've met Dominator.

I've met Dominator!!!

Spooner
04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Too long of a list.

I've been fortunate enough to have worked with some great people.

DeG
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
One of my best friends is a Roadie/Guitar tech, so he has gotten me all kinds of backstage access over the years..I hung out on the tour bus with 3 Doors Down and Nickelback, and met the dudes in Evannessance (Amy was not there :( ) Some guys from .38 Special (not sure of there names)
Aside from those...Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, Jake, The Dead Milkmen, I think that is about it...Oh, but I'm gonna get to meet a bunch of my favorites in Indiana in a few weeks:)

thejumpingflea
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
As far as the uke goes:

Jake Shimabukuro, James Hill, Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta-San, Herb Ohta Jr, John King (RIP), Jim Beloff, and Casey McGill.

Link
04-23-2009, 02:56 PM
DeG, Is his name Hoogie?

hawaiianmusiclover06
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Since I live in Hawaii... Here's some of my famous musicians that I met:

Manoa DNA
Kaukahi
Raiatea Helm
Makana
Bryan Tolentino
Na Leo Pilimehana
Taimane Gardner
Jody Kamisato- My 'ukulele teacher (Island Style Ukulele)
Herb Ohta, Jr.- My 'ukulele teacher also
Weldon Kekauoha
Stephen Inglis
Jake Shimaburukuro
Hoku Zuttermeister
Keali'i Reichel
Pomaika'i Keawe
Pilioha
Maunalua

Kaneohe til the end
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Just Jake??? I live here and never got to meet the wizard.
dude we met him at DHC

ooh... I've done a meet n greet w/ Incubus!

Got to drum a show for Fiji, that was AWESOME!!! Met plenty of my island heroes!!!

INCUBUS??!?!?!?
LUCKY!!!!

in the past 4 months alone, ive met Jake, Roy Sakuma, Herb Ohta Jr, Daniel Ho, Raiatea Helm, Gordon Mark. i also saw James Hill at last years 'ukulele festival, but i didnt talk to him.

MisoHappy
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I met Smash Mouth when they came last year...
And I met Roy Sakuma

ricdoug
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Aldrine Guererro
Ryan Esaki
Dominator
James Hill
Victoria Vox
Pat Enos
Bill Tapia
Herb Ohta Jr.
Joel Eckhaus
Travis Harrelson
Derick Sebastion
Lyle Ritz
the late John King
Jim Tranquada
Fred Fallin
Jim & Liz Beloff
Brittni Paiva
Joe Souza
Sid Hausman
I've got tickets to see Brian Tolentino and Asa Young next Wednesday

I work less than a mile from http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org and it affords us many opportunities to see world class musicians in an intimate setting. We're family members and get discounts on all events, some being free.

From the mid 70's until the early 80's, my wife and I were partners with another in a music store (I was an active duty Marine during that period) in Twentynine Palms, California. Our first (small, about the size of a one car garage) was named "The Axe Hole". Shortly after, the town fathers (tight knit group of elders that basically ran the town) offered us another building about three times the size for the same lease payment, with the stipulation that we do it and change the name, or be zoned out of our old location. That was a no-brainer, so we dubbed the new location "Mojave Music" Several years later, we purchased an old 6000 square foot closed down pet store on the Twentynine Palms Highway and gave it the name of "Sound Town". We had a 16 track (Otari tape) recording studio that was mainly used by local radio stations for making commercials and a few local musicians. We also rented sound reinforcement gear and lighting to some large production companies, such as Showco. When I got orders for Desert Calm (later Desert Shield and then Desert Storm), I had a good hunch from past combat experience that it would be a long campaign. My wife and I sold our partnership to our partner Mike and she and the girls stayed in the Philippines while I was deployed. Mike's substance abuse increased while I was gone and the store was boarded up when I returned from combat three years later and had already been sold to a flooring company. My intention was to buy back in and help run the store as my retirement gig. During the period we co-owned that music store (of many names and locations), we met literally hundreds of famous bands and musicians of all genres that would be way too many to list. Those are some wonderful and cherished memories, especially the in store jam sessions. Ric

paw123los
04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Bill Tapia
Lyle Ritz

I'm so jealous. I would love to hear them playing live and to meet them.

jebus89
04-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Ive met all of the guys from the king blues, but they're not really 'famous', and it was before they were well-known

GrumpyOldMan
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Ive met all of the guys from the king blues, but they're not really 'famous', and it was before they were well-known
My son's band has supported The King Blues a couple of times and he sort of knows them, but like yourself that was before they were well known. Their rise has been quite rapid actually, they'll become one of those bands known as an overnight sensation even though they've been at it for years, lol. Radio 1 seems to be playing them all the time at the moment. Good to see they haven't forgotten their roots though and are still playing Rebellion Punk Festival in Blackpool in August. I saw them in Manchester when they toured with Anti Flag, great gig.
Ian.

psesinkclee
04-24-2009, 08:30 AM
All bands, but here they are:

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Taking Back Sunday
Armor For Sleep
Hellogoodbye
I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business
Silverstein
Secondhand Serenade
Madina Lake
Noah and the Whale
Motion City Soundtrack
Days Away
The Juliana Theory
The Hush Sound
Guster
The Format
Daphne Loves Derby
Cute Is What We Aim For
The Commercials
Chiodos
Owen
Bright Eyes
Atreyu
Steriogram
All The Rage
Arctic Monkeys
The Almost

And these are just the ones I got signatures from, I've met more, but can't remember lol.

psesinkclee
04-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Bela Fleck

Lucky Duck! What an awesome musician!!

I'm VERY jealous :bowdown:

Aldrine Guerrero
04-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I met Russ Buss

Link
04-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Speaking of him... I hope he's doing okay. Haven't seen him around for a while. And he's only posted a vacation video. Did he die in Taiwan or wherever?

deach
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Speaking of him... I hope he's doing okay. Haven't seen him around for a while. And he's only posted a vacation video. Did he die in Taiwan or wherever?

He's busy eating live octopus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7JS57wYBn8

Ahnko Honu
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
He's busy eating live octopus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7JS57wYBn8

Best served with Ko chu jang sauce. ;)

UkeNinja
04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I drank beer with Bosko and Honey and Max the Ukulele Punk Rocker, and Daisy Dobuyuki and Pommade man. All very cool people and they laughed at my jokes, but that could be the beer.

uke552
04-24-2009, 05:41 PM
During high school I worked at Pine Knob Music Theatre (Clarkston, Michigan). I met Ann / Nancy Wilson, Carlos Santana, Bruce Hall (REO Speedwagon bass player) and Willie Nelson. Saw several groups during warm ups like Genesis, Asia and John Cougar....:)

uke552
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
No Uke players though.....

ricdoug
04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Best served with Ko chu jang sauce. ;)

...spread on a righteous leaf of sam and topped with steaming bed of pab, to be rolled up and devoured! Ric