Filipino Ukes?

the.ronin

Reaction score
I know that the Philippines and Cebu in particular has really taken to the ukulele. Some relatives are in Cebu right now actually and have offered to pick me up a uke as a present.

Anyone know of a good locally made uke? And where they are sold in Cebu?

I’ve read of Lumanog being a local maker of stringed instruments but that all his ukuleles are designed as souvenir toys. Have things changed?

Ronin,

I've been trying to get a Philippine made Uke ever since I started. So far my friends in the Philippines have not had any success in finding a Luthier to custom make one, or a pre-made one that was not a toy. I'll keep you informed if I find anything.

I've asked my wife the same question last week LOL!!! I'm still new to ukes but I have several family in the Philippines I can ask. I will keep you updated.

Thanks guys ... I’ve tried to do some searching myself and am coming up short on local uke info. Just don’t want my relative to go through all the trouble of lugging around a uke only to come home and present me with a “Filipino original Lanikai LU-11” haha.

There are many stores in the Raon district and a strip of music stores in Sta (Santa) Mesa in the Manila area:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7342

Every store I went into playiing my Ovation Applause UAE20 last November wanted to photograph, measure and play it! I let them do that, too. It would not surprize me to see a "Pinoyvation" version soon! LOL! I'm sure you've seen the Ovation guitar copies made entirely out of wood, over there. Ric

Last edited:
check out the susing guitars website, they are based in cebu and have some nice looking ukes, similar to the mele ukes i think.

check out the susing guitars website, they are based in cebu and have some nice looking ukes, similar to the mele ukes i think.

Thanks WireUke. Susing makes some nice looking ukes.

Have you or anyone else heard of "Amistad" ukulele? Evidently, they are made in Lapu Lapu which is where Susing is. So unless there are a bunch of makers in Lapu Lapu, I suspect it is a Susing ukulele. The same makers of this Amistad ukulele I guess also make ukes under the Yahama brand.

I think that there are a bunch of guitar and ukulele makers in Lapu lapu. Alegre guitars are also based in lapu lapu, but i could only find a website for susing.

Top Bottom