PDA

View Full Version : Lanikai LU21-c or Kala KA-c

Harris
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, well ive decided im gonna try out a concert uke and was just wondering if there is a clear winner out of these to or if it is just sort of personal preference?

Thanks UU!

Harris.

Island_Uke
08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a Lanikai Lu-21c and its a great ukulele. I would recremend it for begginers but Kala is also good too.

CheezeGrater
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Well idk how the soprano compares to the concert, but I have the Lanikai LU21, and it's amazzzzing for a beginner like myself. It comes equipped with Aquila nylgut(I think I spelled it right..) Just read up on some reviews..I'm sure you can't go wrong either way! :)

baumer
09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
As people have said, you'll probably be happy with either. I have a ka-c and it's been great.

ukeskywalker79
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
From what I was told both will be VERY similar. If anything string selection will make the bigger difference. I personally own an all mahogany Kala and love it. Flip a coin. You cannot go wrong with either. Better yet if you have an opportunity to play both this is the better way to decide.

Harris
09-02-2009, 07:23 AM
What strings have you got your kala strung with, like what strings are stock on both because i havent been able to find out.

thanks =D

ukeskywalker79
09-02-2009, 07:53 AM
My Kala all solid mahagony (KA-SMHC) comes with aquilas. Not sure if the lower models like the LU-21c or KA-C come with the aquilas but if you purchase from MGM on ebay he will restring with aquilas free of charge. He offers some of the best deals around. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.:shaka:

JOEinSD
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
My KA-C came with Aquilas. Love it so far, and I'm a total noob at this. Never played an instrument til now.

Harris
09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I unfortunately wont be able to buy from MGM cos im in the UK, so il probably just pay for some aquilas if the strings are rubbish.

jtafaro
09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
The KA-C comes with GHS strings and is laminated mahogony w/ matte finish. I started with one and they sound great with the aquila strings. You can buy a classical guitar D string and convert the uke to a low G uke. The aquila wound low G string doesn't last long and it's cheaper to buy one guitar string which will sound a lot better.

molokinirum
09-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Both are good, I have a Makala, the lower priced brand from Kala and it is a great uke for the money. However, Lanikai ukes are also very good!! Try to play them both (if possible) then decide which one is the one!!!

KJGJ
09-14-2010, 04:35 AM
I just went through the same debate myself. Ended up going with a nice KA-C starter package from MGM. I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives and I start playing it.

BadLands Bart
09-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Get a Lanikai.....no wait, get a Kala.....no wait

Get what you like, both are great ukes!!!

roxhum
09-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Talk to me in a week. I bought myself a Lanikai entry level that I love and just ordered a Kala for my son for Christmas. Can't wait to play with it when it arrives and then I will be able to do my own review Lanikai versus Kala

Coconut Willie
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Why not buy one in a concert, say a Lanikai, and buy a Kala tenor?
That will solve some of your problem!!!

roxhum
09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I received my entry level Kala concert from MGM today. I bought it as a gift for my son. I already had a Lanikai soprano that I bought for myself. I now feel that I can I am qualified to say that they are both awesome and it doesn't matter which brand you buy they are equal. I heard once they came from the same factory in China and I believe it, I can't really see a difference. I purchased Kala this time around only because everyone says such nice things about MGM and trust him so I decided to pay just a little bit more and make sure everything was set up correctly. I was not disappointed.

kennypinoy
09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Before becoming a member to this site I ordered the LU-21c off amazon, and so far I have been very happy with it, with an exception of the action being a bit too high. Looking back, I would really consider buying from MGM instead of Amazon, because from what I hear he really makes sure you get a very good ukulele for your money