What to look for in a first ukulele?

uke_n00b

Reaction score
What I should be looking for in terms of picking a first instrument? I did read through the Info Thread - Entry Level 'Ukuleles thread (head almost imploded from information overload :p ) but I saw that a lot of the questions and answers were focused on recommending particular models or makers rather than what were the qualities that made those entry level ukulele's recommended (or, conversely, something to be avoided).

So what I am asking is, what are the most important qualities that I should be looking for in picking a first instrument? I am planning on visiting several local music stores over the next few days looking at what instruments they have available and I want to have an idea of what makes a particular ukulele a "good starting instrument" vs one that should be avoided. So far, the important qualities I have gleaned from looking at the threads are:

• Action i.e. how high are the strings
  • Fit and finish e.g. no fret ends sticking out from the edge of the fingerboard, frets are even in height
  • Ability to stay in tune i.e. strings do not keep slipping out of tune

What other qualities should I be looking for when picking a first instrument? :confused:

Intonation. If the intonation is off...your chords will never sound right (which is very discouraging for a beginner).

Thanks for the replies guys. I visited several shops around the bay area and one of the stores had a Kala KA-C that I liked and will most likely buy this weekend. It sounded nice, finish was good, intonation seemed fine, no fret buzz that I could discern and it has geared tuners so it is less likely to slip out of tune. It is available for $100. Does that seem like a decent price for it? I prefer to support local brick and mortar stores as much as possible but I would buy online if the price difference was significant.

Also, I keep reading that Aquila strings seem to be the way to go for good tone. Is there a suggested place to purchase them? I have seen some Martin and D'Addario ukulele strings available at the local store. Are those reasonable quality or should they be avoided?

The Kala KA-C is a great starter uke. $100 is a decent price too. Here's one that MGM has listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-BRAND-KA-C-Mahogany-Concert-Ukulele-Setup-w-case_W0QQitemZ330357688700QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceada497c&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_3086wt_943

His comes with Aquilas on it and with a case. I agree the Aquilas sound best on the laminated ukes (like the KA-C). You can order them from MGM as well here: http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-Concert-Nylgut-ukulele-strings-all-plain_W0QQitemZ370253112010QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5634ce22ca&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_987wt_943

Congratulations!

Action / playability / intonation is #1. If the uke is playable you can learn anything on it.

For a starter uke, you want to listen for satisfactory tone. You're not going to find a starter uke that sounds like a Kamaka or an old Martin, but you can find something that is pleasing to the ear.

The Martin "Crystal Nylon" are not very good strings, and if your store still carries those pass on 'em. The newer Martin Fluorocarbon strings are pretty good. I've got a set on my Flea right now and I like them quite a bit. But again, nothing sounds better on a laminated uke than Aquilas.

Geared tuners are easier for a beginner to deal with than friction. If you happen to find one with good action and intonation with geared tuners and decent tone, you're in business! That Kala in the above post looks like a real winner.

Thanks for the replies guys. I visited several shops around the bay area and one of the stores had a Kala KA-C that I liked and will most likely buy this weekend. It sounded nice, finish was good, intonation seemed fine, no fret buzz that I could discern and it has geared tuners so it is less likely to slip out of tune. It is available for $100. Does that seem like a decent price for it? I prefer to support local brick and mortar stores as much as possible but I would buy online if the price difference was significant.

Also, I keep reading that Aquila strings seem to be the way to go for good tone. Is there a suggested place to purchase them? I have seen some Martin and D'Addario ukulele strings available at the local store. Are those reasonable quality or should they be avoided?

Not only will buying online from Musicguymic net you the Aquila strings and a good uke case, but you'll get a chord book and a pitch pipe, and, most importantly professional quality set-up of you instrument. You'll pay no shipping and save the sales tax. How can you go wrong?

I bought my first uke from him (a Kala KA-SC), and heartily recommend him and his service to anyone and everyone!

So I got the Kala KA-C last Friday evening and I have been quite happy with it. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer to patronize local music stores when they have what I want (nothing against online stores, I am sure they provide great customer service as well, this is just my personal preference) and the ukulele was set up quite well with no problems with action, finish, intonation, etc. Also got a bag for $20 (marked down from the retail price of $40). I found some ukulele chord charts online (and I can figure them out myself anyway since I am familiar with chord theory) and I already have several tuners lying about.

One store I visited had the Martin Clear Nylons which I steered clear of but another store did have the new Martin Fluorocarbon strings and I bought the two that they had available.

Does anyone have any experience with the D'Addario Ukulele strings? Another shop had the following:

Curious if anyone has any opinions on those strings. Also, how often do you guys change the strings on your ukuleles?

Congratulations!! What..No pics?:p I wish you many happy hours with it. :D

Will see if I can snap some pics of the ukulele later tonight then. :p

It's been pretty fun so far, and I look forward to many more hours of fun in the future. What I am really looking forward to is when my daughter is old enough to start learning the ukulele and I can try to teach her so we can play music together. She's only 11 months old now so I still have time to learn things for myself before I try teaching her. :music:

Will see if I can snap some pics of the ukulele later tonight then.

Sorry for the delay. I have attached some pics to this post.

Attachments

• IMG_0724_resized.jpg
    IMG_0724_resized.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0725_resized.jpg
    IMG_0725_resized.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0726_resized.jpg
    IMG_0726_resized.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0727_resized.jpg
    IMG_0727_resized.jpg