New to the uke.

Honda247

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the uke and am looking forward to learning alot. I got my uke from my cousin, well we traded. I traded him my squire strat for his Lanikai CK-TEQ. So far I learned one song in like five minutes. I do have one question thou, I have a tenor uke and was wondering if all the ukes being saporano, tenor or baritone, are the same pitch or are they different.

Thanks in Advanced..
:music:

Welcome to UU :)

Sopranino, soprano, concert and tenor ukes are all tuned the same, G C E A, with choice of high or low G string being up to the players preference.

For these ukes a tuning that is a whole tone higher is fairly common too. That would give A D F# B

Baritone ukes are most often tuned D G B E - same notes as the four highest on a guitar.

For me, it's so hard to tell the difference when listening online. I think it's because of the audio recording equipment that people have (anything from a basic digital camera to a professional recorder)...but, hearing them in person makes all the difference.

Welcome to UU :)

Sopranino, soprano, concert and tenor ukes are all tuned the same, G C E A, with choice of high or low G string being up to the players preference.

For these ukes a tuning that is a whole tone higher is fairly common too. That would give A D F# B

Baritone ukes are most often tuned D G B E - same notes as the four highest on a guitar.

Thanks buddhu. So when i tune my uke using the online tuner ( http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php ) Is how its supposed to be?

Aren't they cute.......

DSC02208.jpg

:rolleyes:

Thanks buddhu. So when i tune my uke using the online tuner ( http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php ) Is how its supposed to be?
gCEA Standard is what those buttons are tuned for. That is pretty standard tuning for your tenor, and for a concert or soprano too. The G string is the one closest to your face when playing, and the A would be toward the floor. Most ukes will come with strings for this tuning.

If you want to play Low g tuning, you will need a low G string. Don't try to do low G with a high G string... it will be too loose and dull sounding.

If you have a guitar nearby, it is like tuning with a capo on the 5th fret for the C,E,A strings. The G is an octave higher than the 4th string of the guitar, 5th fret.

–Lori

Top Bottom