"Commercial" contest for Wine Country Ukulele Festival

Elainede

Reaction score
Hope some of you are inspired to enter this one! We are looking for a 30- to 60-second "commercial" that would encourage people to pack up their 'ukuleles and walk, ride, run, swim, or fly to the Napa Valley for the 2nd annual Wine Country ‘Ukulele Festival, October 9, 10, 11. Any of the information posted on the festival website www.winecountryukefest.com is fair game. Originality and humor (in good taste) rank highly. Clever parodies of popular and well-known songs get extra points, as does the subtle (or not-so-subtle) inclusion of "MusicGuyMic," who is donating the prize. Entries will be judged on originality, comments from viewers (even if the viewer is your mother:rolleyes:), and the number of views. You can enter as many times as you like. The winner will receive a Kala KA-ST tenor 'ukulele with a hard shell case.

It’s up to you to upload your commercial to You-Tube, then send us the link (you can leave it as a comment on the festival website) so we know where to look for it. Assuming it passes the first test (meaning, essentially, that it is suitable for all ages) we will then upload it to the Wine Country Uke Fest channel on You Tube and try to help you promote it. The deadline for posting is September 25 and the winner will be announced October 10, at the festival. (You need not be present to win.)

The Kala KA-ST has a solid Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides, giving this ‘ukulele a rich sound, great volume and tone. Die cast tuners, a nice binding, high gloss finish and GHS strings complete this fine instrument. And did I mention…it comes with a hard shell case.

So give it your best shot, and good luck. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Elaine

Last edited:
Nitpick

another spelling issue... isn't it "musicguymic" instead of "mike"? :)

It is indeed. :eek: I have fixed it. Thanks.

Uh! Oh! I think I need to add a new rule just to keep the lawyers at bay and not infringe on anyone's copyright. If you're doing a song, it should either be an original composition or based on a song that's in the public domain. Does anyone have any ideas on where parodies stand?

:confused:Elaine

Just a reminder, the deadline is just 12 days away! The sooner you get your entry in, the sooner it can start getting rave reviews! (Did I spell anything wrong this time?)

Elaine
www.winecountryukefest.com

Elaine, I am working on something that is almost 2 minutes long... will it qualify?
Oh sure! We're easy......(That goes for everyone else whose "commercial" may be running a little long)

Uh! Oh! I think I need to add a new rule just to keep the lawyers at bay and not infringe on anyone's copyright. If you're doing a song, it should either be an original composition or based on a song that's in the public domain. Does anyone have any ideas on where parodies stand?

:confused:Elaine

Parodies are tricky. My boyfriend and I (who have about 14 years commercial production experience between us) are kind of unsure exactly what the law is, but we both agree that if you're going to parody a person's sound or style, but not a specific work, you're probably okay. But a specific work (the melody or lyrics) is not something either of us'd be comfortable doing for a commercial.

Here goes nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOOQzWg4yM

I hope you enjoy it. I really struggled through some new editing software issues, and it is a bit longer than I would have liked, but I think it gets the point across.

Feedback would be appreciated. If you like the video, please rate and pass it on!

Great entry!!! The editing was great! lol I even got the "ooh, ahh, and wow" part stuck in my head.

Parodies are tricky. My boyfriend and I (who have about 14 years commercial production experience between us) are kind of unsure exactly what the law is, but we both agree that if you're going to parody a person's sound or style, but not a specific work, you're probably okay. But a specific work (the melody or lyrics) is not something either of us'd be comfortable doing for a commercial.

I already wrote a parody when this contest was first announced, but to be on the safe side, I'll make an original. Don't think I'll make the deadline though, but I'll try it out anyway.

Here goes nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOOQzWg4yM

I hope you enjoy it. I really struggled through some new editing software issues, and it is a bit longer than I would have liked, but I think it gets the point across.

Feedback would be appreciated. If you like the video, please rate and pass it on!

It's terrific. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there. I love it!

Elaine

I already wrote a parody when this contest was first announced, but to be on the safe side, I'll make an original. Don't think I'll make the deadline though, but I'll try it out anyway.

Go for it! I'm dying to see what people come up with!

Elaine

Hey, like I said, I don't actually know what the law is, so please don't not-enter because of what I said!

Top Bottom