Problem playing chords

dnewton2

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the ukulele, and have been checking out lessons here at UU and some of lessons on iamHawaii. Some of the chords that require something like your pointer finger to cover A E string, middle finger to cover C and ring finger to cover G, are giving me problems. Mainly my pointer finger does not bend back far enough to allow my other fingers to properly cover the other stings. Usually resulting in a messed up sounding chord.

So has anyone else ran into issues like this, or have any suggestions on ways to fix this problem.

i use my pointer finger to bar the whole fret in those cases. it's more comfortable to me than trying to bend it back like you mentioned.

like dis:

A -x-|---|---|---|---|
E -x-|---|---|---|---|
C -x-|-x-|---|---|---|
G -x-|---|-x-|---|---|

but i guess it all depends on the player. whatever works for you. good luck!

Last edited:
i use my pointer finger to bar the whole fret in those cases. it's more comfortable to me than trying to bend it back like you mentioned.

Good advice.

Beyond that, I'd just say keep at it. You'll find a way to do it. I'm of the opinion that there's no right way and no wrong way to play. However you can get the job done is right for you.

like dis:

A -x-|---|---|---|---|
E -x-|---|---|---|---|
C -x-|-x-|---|---|---|
G -x-|---|-x-|---|---|

but i guess it all depends on the player. whatever works for you. good luck!

Thanks, I have tried that and it seems a little tougher, for me anyway, to switch to and from other chords. But i guess practice will fix that.

I'm fairly new as well and I used to get frustated playing the Bb and B chords, but the more I practiced the easier I was able to do it. It just takes time. Like Seeso said, keep at it and it will come naturally in time.

The only thing you can really do is keep working at it and you'll eventually figure it out. It worked with me and I didn't play the guitar before the uke either. I've been playing for about a year now and I can play more advanced songs where the chords get a little bit more difficult like Super Mario and While My Ukulele Gently Wheeps. Just stick to it.

I make that shape the same as Russ described, and it works better from me. I have big fingers, so there are numerous chords that are difficult for me to form quickly, if at all. If I encounter one that I feel that I simply cannot do at that time in my development, I will see what other fingerings are available for that chord until I find one that works for me and sounds right.

What really helped me get past alot of this was learning about scales and how chords are constructed. This is not a huge undertaking to get the basics (I read a 3 page article and spent an afternoon with my brother who helped me interpret it in my tiny mind).

Anyways, now if I come across a difficult chord for me, it's a really small barrier as I can quickly find a way around it.

The only thing I can say is keep at it...eventually your fingers will develop the flexibility to pull it off.

One thing to mention too, since you're a beginner I'm assuming you're using a cheaper uke. A lot of times the cheaper ukes (this goes for guitars too) have the action set too high, and if it's set too high near the nut (the top part, where the headstock and tuning pegs are) it can be EXTREMELY difficult to pull of a Bb or any other chord that requires barring or partially-barring the 1st fret.

Thanks for the advice. I was working with barring the entire fret last night and it was working pretty good.

if you search on youtube for tanya "teeh" manibusan, when playing a chord like E, she'll use her thumb on the G and C string...actually, looking at the video again, she uses her thumb for playing a lot of chords. check out her videos and you'll know what i mean. good luck with the chords.

Part of it can also be your uke. That pesky Bb chord shape (as it sounds like that's what you're describing), is tougher for on my Risa uke stick than on any other uke I've played. It's not impossible, but we have a bit of dramatic pause in the music while I get that chord.

Those kind of chords, and bar chords were a big reason why guitar wasn't for me, but on the uke it's like I'm improving despite myself. I sometimes wish there were easier songs in the UU front page videos, but then that would leave everyone else out.

Although I did manage to change around Lovesong to more match how I play it. :) Then again, you don't have to twist my arm to teach me a Cure song.

Top Bottom