Am I sick?

buddhuu

Super Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
It's weird. I don't own expensive instruments or gear - I can't afford expensive instruments or gear! But nevertheless, I find myself almost completely satisfied with my instruments and gear for what may be the first time ever.

Oh, there are things I'd like if I won the lottery, but I don't feel that kind of UAS/MAS/FAS desire that has always gnawed at me in the past. I think I've just been lucky enough to find a bunch of good, inexpensive instruments that do exactly what I need them to do. I'm happy with what I have, and grateful for it. I'm not lusting after anything. This is cause for concern. What's wrong with me? Should I see a doctor? :confused:

I think thats a really nice thing to read after only reading about peoples dis-satisfaction and wanting of more expensive instruments, it seems nothing is good enough for most of us here, well maybe not nothing but... not enough. It's refreshing to hear someone say they are happy with what they have and i think and hope that when my new one arrives that i will be satisfied, and the only other ukulele i will want after that is my one of custom.

You should see the Doctor just incase theres some underlying problems though! lol

Buddhu. You have reached nirvana in this very life. If your house was on fire which ukulele would you save?
I would opt for the simple stagg US10 polished, cherished, played and battered with Worth strings. All my other Ukuleles are on the insurance!

I understand it. At the tail end of my last rock and roll band I finally hit a point where I had the rig and the sound I wanted after twenty years of chasing the noise in my head. It's very strange to suddenly find yourself no longer lusting after new gear because you're satisfied with what you've got. You suddenly don't know what to do with yourself and all that time you used to use window shopping and hanging out in guitar stores.

I'm so glad that UAS has filled that void for me now. I don't need any more, but I like to look.

Good for you Buudhu! I like to read things like this. Life might not be so complicated if more people thought like you.

oops, getting too close to getting up on my box again. sorry

I only have one "proper" uke now and that's a Kala ASMT, which is quite a cheap one, so no dilemma in the event of fire - I grab the Kala!

My mandolin is a similarly modest example, and my fiddle is one one of the most basic Romanian models, but the manufacturers of all these have managed to deliver really very acceptable instruments at great prices.

I'm not terribly good at any of the instruments I play, so anything more than I have would frankly be wasted. An expensive uke, mando, fiddle etc with me stuck on the end of it is unlikely to sound much better than what I've got now! :D

I did some set-up tweaking to my uke and my mandolin over the weekend, and I've come away very happy with what they deliver. I'm really looking forward to tonight's session!

In a word, yes.

That's kind of what I suspected... :D

That's kind of what I suspected... :D

Haha! I wish I had your restraint. I try and buy stuff I can't even afford. I wish I could feel content with what I have, I know I should but it's difficult!

First, you play the ukulele which means you suffer from a condition known to medical professionals as awesomeness.

Being satisfied with what you have is not a sickness, but a very healthy step toward enlightenment.

My son has a sunburst standard Strat. He no longer has any desire to go to the guitar shop for anything other than new strings or an instructional book. Other guitars are boring to him. Why? "I already have the guitar I want." Sure, there are guitars he'd like to have, but he has no active desire or perceived need for them.

Congratulations!

It's weird. I don't own expensive instruments or gear - I can't afford expensive instruments or gear! But nevertheless, I find myself almost completely satisfied with my instruments and gear for what may be the first time ever.

Oh, there are things I'd like if I won the lottery, but I don't feel that kind of UAS/MAS/FAS desire that has always gnawed at me in the past. I think I've just been lucky enough to find a bunch of good, inexpensive instruments that do exactly what I need them to do. I'm happy with what I have, and grateful for it. I'm not lusting after anything. This is cause for concern. What's wrong with me? Should I see a doctor? :confused:

All unhappiness is rooted in desire. And fulfilling desires is like blowing on a fire, the flames get even larger. The more desires are fulfilled the faster other ones appear to take the place of the fulfilled ones.

I think you have UAS under control. I haven't purchased a 'ukulele in almost a month, and have never paid more than $300 even for my Koa 'ukuleles. I saw a 6 string Koa pineapple tenor at the swap meet last Sunday, and was sorely tempted but was able to fight the urge even when priced under $200, hope I don't regret it. :rolleyes:

I kinda feel the same way acctually :)
From a Uke I have all I need in my Mainland, my acoustic guitar was extremly cheap and is more than good enough. And Electric Epiphone Les Paul was pretty inexpensive compared to a Gibson and I realy love my Epi!

Sure If I'd suddenly win the lottery or inherit a bunch of monet from a unknow uncle I'd probably buy an expensive instrument or two, but as things are I am extremly happy with what I'we got.

hey what kind of mandolin do you have? I am thinking about getting one.

Holy cow how cool are these Eleukes???? MUST HAVE ... NOW!!!!

Sorry, what were we talking about? :confused:

I've heard of you mythical creatures who are not afflicted with UAS but have never actually met one. Now i just need Nessie, Bigfoot and his cousin the Yeti for Mythical Creature Bingo!

It's kinda funny when you realise that being afflicted with UAS is soooo common here, that not having it makes you question now normal you are.

buddhu, there's nothing wrong with you other than that problem you're having with denial..... :D

BTW, did I read somewhere that you are a fellow juggler?

I'm trying not to develop UAS. I know the devastation of these types of diseases.

So when I fell for the uke, I was determined to nip UAS in the bud. I bought what I thought was the best ukulele I could afford, without getting lured into an online sale where I couldn't try before I buy (there is something so seductive about ebay auctions, my fantasy life makes the items seem better than they really are).

I got a concert fluke with rosewood fret board. I still long for the kamaka tenor or some gorgeous customs I see online, but I think I can wait (I have to wait!) and skip the middle steps.

I figure with the fluke, there is nothing about the instrument that stops me from becoming a better player (I didn't think I could get there with my $50 Empire, it just wasn't good enough) and if I still play three years from now, I'll start looking for a kamaka then... good plan?

I'm still a little sad, though. The fluke is a bit overpriced (I think everything new, not on sale is overpriced) and I swear I can hear the plastic sound... I think I'll change to worth strings : )

Top Bottom