KALA KA-FMS Soprano Ukulele

johncaudrey

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at buying a new uke, upgrading from my cheap red Mahalo soprano.
I really like the look of the KALA KA-FMS Soprano. But as there are no stores local to me stocking it (I am based in Berkshire.UK), I will have to buy on the internet without getting the chance to play it (scary). Has anyone got any good/bad feedback on this uke and also about the quality and consistency of Kala ukes in general.
Many thanks
John

I bought a cheapie Kala pineapple uke from an online store. The uke arrived with no damage and it was quite good quality overall. Nice set up, clean finish work, straight and true neck, etc. Pretty impressive for the price...they make 'em inexpensive but not junky
You'll need to replace the strings but that's a personal choice anyway

I have not played that particular model, but have tried a tenor version in the spalted maple/spruce top Kala range. The build quality and finish were very good indeed, it played very nicely, and it sounded brilliant. I own a Kala soprano travel uke, and am most impressed with it on all levels. Three of my friends own Kalas, and are well pleased with them.

Ukantor.

nice uke

I have the KA-FMSLN which is the same model except a longer neck. I love that uke. Excellent finish, a bright uke sound, nice tuners. I have 3 Kalas and they are all different woods and prices. And I would definitely recommend them. Experiment with different strings. My KA-FMSLN came with Aquila strings, but I have changed them to Worth Clear mediums, which I think soften the upper tones, but maintains a nice sweet brightness. But if you are just going to strum, the Aquilas might be the ones to stay with.

–Lori

buy it

I moved to a KALA solid spruce top ukulele after a poor Vintage cheapo model and have found it to be great fun and very playable. enjoy it but it wont be the last ukulele you will buy beware UAS. :)

More on strings

I have the KA-FMSLN which is the same model except a longer neck. I love that uke. Excellent finish, a bright uke sound, nice tuners. I have 3 Kalas and they are all different woods and prices. And I would definitely recommend them. Experiment with different strings. My KA-FMSLN came with Aquila strings, but I have changed them to Worth Clear mediums, which I think soften the upper tones, but maintains a nice sweet brightness. But if you are just going to strum, the Aquilas might be the ones to stay with.

–Lori

I'm going to be getting a Makala MK-S soprano (one with the dolphin bridge) from MGM. If I want the softest-sounding strings, what ones should I ask him to install? I am going to just strum, and I don't have a very big voice.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I temporarily had a Makala Dophin Bridge and I put Aquila strings on it. It was a gift we were giving to my sister-in-law. I played it for a day or two to stretch out the strings, and I think it sounded really good. Check out Ken Middleton's video on Aquila verses Worth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yU85FM8Fg

The bottom line to my ear:
Strumming= Aquila
Picking= Worth

MGM will be happy to put the Aquilas on for you.

–Lori

Last edited:
I'm going to be getting a Makala MK-S soprano (one with the dolphin bridge) from MGM. If I want the softest-sounding strings, what ones should I ask him to install? I am going to just strum, and I don't have a very big voice.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I don't know if I answered you question properly. When you say "softest-sounding" do you mean volume or tone? The nice thing about stringed instruments is that you can change the volume very easily by controlling the pressure on your strum. Light or low tension strings will also give you quieter sound. In my opinion, the Aquila strings are a little more harsh in tone, but with the Makala Dolphin it might not be too harsh... just bright and lively. The Aquilas have a nice sustain to the notes, which works well with chorded strumming.
Worth Browns are supposed to be mellower. I haven't tried those yet. The Worth Clears are less harsh than the Aquila, and sound bright.

–Lori

I temporarily had a Makala Dophin Bridge and I put Aquila strings on it. It was a gift we were giving to my sister-in-law. I played it for a day or two to stretch out the strings, and I think it sounded really good. Check out Ken Middleton's video on Aquila verses Worth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yU85FM8Fg

The bottom line to my ear:
Strumming= Aquila
Picking= Worth

MGM will be happy to put the Aquilas on for you.

–Lori

I don't know if I answered you question properly. When you say "softest-sounding" do you mean volume or tone? The nice thing about stringed instruments is that you can change the volume very easily by controlling the pressure on your strum. Light or low tension strings will also give you quieter sound. In my opinion, the Aquila strings are a little more harsh in tone, but with the Makala Dolphin it might not be too harsh... just bright and lively. The Aquilas have a nice sustain to the notes, which works well with chorded strumming.
Worth Browns are supposed to be mellower. I haven't tried those yet. The Worth Clears are less harsh than the Aquila, and sound bright.

–Lori

I think what I was trying to say was volume. :eek: In which case I would probably try using a very soft felt pick (which seems even softer than my thumb!) on certain songs.

At the moment I am using my index finger for strumming, but that gives a bit louder sound than I want sometimes.

So since I have Worth brown light tension on my Mahalo now, maybe I should go ahead and let Mike put the Aquilas on the Makala Dolphin, since that's what he normally upgrades to anyway, and I haven't heard what those sound like in person at all. It's so hard to tell the difference in a video! Thanks for the link, though!

I guess I'll also ask Mike before ordering, to see what he thinks would go best with my voice.

Thanks!!

CountryMouse

I've haven't tried the soprano, but i have the kala flame maple tenor. And its a great uke, great construction (both durability and sound). The only thing i would recommend considering is since the uke is maple with a spruce top it has a very lively sound so each note stands out and will cut through any other instrument playing if your playing with a band. If your looking for a more mellow sound than you miht want to look and koa or mahogany. If you wanna hear what my tenor sounds like here's my youtube site and you can listen to some songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/DoodlesMcDeezleLippy

Thanks folks for all your advice. I just couldn't wait any longer so I've bitten the bullet and just ordered this uke. I will let you know the outcome!

Thanks again

John

She arrived this morning and I have had to resist the temptation of blowing out a days work to play her.
Ive just spent the last two hours getting to know her. She is small and perfectly formed, very pretty and sings like an angel. I think I'm in love.
Thanks again for the advice
A happy man!

Only just read this, I wanted to upgrade to a decent uke , I too settled on that one and as you say it's a little beauty. Well made, stays in tune, bright plus it looks so gooooood

check out this vid

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Hi, MGM has a good deal on for those Makalas with Aquila and setup included, check out his vid MGM Ebay Makala.

Hope it helps

Oh no problem. :) Did you get a uke yet? What kind, etc. etc.!?

CountryMouse

No uke yet, I'll be booted off this site if I dont get something soon lol!

Hoping to get a Kala at the end of the month, unfortunately vet bills are starting to add up with a very sick doggy :( . Dont worry, there'll be pics on here as soon as it arrives haha!

Top Bottom