PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance guitar

renaissanceguitar
09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Hello all,

I'm dropping by to spread the word of the word about the Renaissance guitar.

As you know, the ukulele descended from the Portuguese cavaquinho.

Which in turn descended from the Renaissance guitar.

The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament").

Anyway, Renaissance guitars project better than ukes and definitely sound more organic and alive.

I thought the ukulele community would appreciate such a fine instrument and possibly be interested in its sublime repertoire. An excellent performer to look into (he has videos on Youtube) is Hopkinson Smith.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. Has anyone tried the Nylgut strings from aquilausa.com? You can order them at www.juststrings.com. I'm not a uke player (I play the archlute and classical guitar), but I don't have enough good things to say about Nylgut. It's much closer to the sound of gut than nylon, is unaffected by temperature and humidity and, being thinner than nylon, has a springier, livelier sound.

DaveVisi
09-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Is this an ad?

Yes, we know about Nylgut. It's one of our favorite Uke strings too.

sleepsinashoe
09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
In other words you're telling me your guitar thing is better than my uke? I'm not going to respond well to that.

hoosierhiver
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Anyway, Renaissance guitars project better than ukes and definitely sound more organic and alive.

Ha! Good luck convincing this crowd!

hoosierhiver
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Is this an ad?

Seems like it, he posted the exact same thing on the Cosmos.

upskydowncloud
09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Seems like it, he posted the exact same thing on the Cosmos.

Yeah not the best way to win friends and influence people is it?

UkuleleHill
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah not the best way to win friends and influence people is it?

Not so much... If the OP had searched they would know that ALOT of us use those strings...

mrUKETOBER
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
pahahahahah NOTHING is better than the uke...

except 2 ukes

and nothing is better than 2 ukes

except 3.. and so on ..

gp-ak
09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament"

I looked at some Hopkinson Smith videos and nothing hes playing really matches this description...

Hosh
09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament").

First post not only alienates I assume most of the people here but also is a pseudo ad for Aquila Nygut. A name that is dropped so often there could be a sub forum :)

Wow.

Blrfl
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM

What manner of test equipment would be used to measure organicity and aliveness?

--Mark

Lori
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I find all stringed instruments interesting, and I always like to hear about these lesser known ones. But I didn't hear on the videos anything that extraordinary about the ren guitar. Those offbeat instruments are usually pretty expensive, so I am sticking with the ukes. Not sure how those gut frets work. The concept seems rather makeshift. I guess they work for lutes well enough, but I would have to see one in person to be convinced.

–Lori

ed531
09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Is this one of those situations where we can block this member's account ?

Duddles
09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
A guitar better than my uke? I think not, sir! I would rather play my poor (read: hated) Mitchell MU-100 over the best guitar (renaissance or otherwise) any day!

hoosierhiver
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
What manner of test equipment would be used to measure organicity and aliveness?

--Mark

Some sort of compost detector?

I don't think he needs to be blocked, but I think he would have gotten more sympathy if he submitted it under the marketplace section.

Uncle-Taco
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Has anyone here tried Nylaguts? Funny.
That's like walking into my old neighborhood and hollering, "Hey, any y'all ever tried PBR?" :D

Hobgoblin Steve
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Is this one of those situations where we can block this member's account ?

I think so.

Duddles
09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Lol. Tried them? I only have three spare sets laying around for two different sizes of ukes and have my only uke strung with them right now. I think it is safe to say I have tried them, and have not bought them from his website. :-)

Ukeffect
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm all for trying other instruments....but BETTER than a...a...*gasp....wheeeeze....snort....choke...sput ...ter*...I can't even think it, let alone SAY it! (without retching!)
:eek:
Besides I look terrrible in a bodkin....which is the only way playing it would sound right! HAH!

mailman
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Never could bring myself to lend much credence to a guy in tights....

RevWill
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm more fond of its predecessor, Middle Ages Guitar and its forerunner, Western Roman Empire Guitar.

hoosierhiver
09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I'll have to look thru the closet for my cowl,
I feel a renaissance of my own coming on. :D

Who's in for a Renaissance Ukulele Collab?

Ukuleleblues
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Give him a break, he probably has a warehouse full of renaissance guitar strings bought after a night of heavy drinking........you know, he wakes up finds he is in a warehouse.... "what the *&^%%$ is a renaissance guitar????? I bought what!!!!"

Poor dude!

Craig
09-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I know that one can order actual gut strings from Aquila directly. How, I'm not sure, but I played a uke in Kauai this summer that had them. Gut strings sound okay, but don't stay in tune very well.... At least, during this one experience.

haole
09-01-2009, 04:36 PM
At first I thought this would be a job for Rick Turner. ;) (He builds some funky guitars under the Renaissance name.)

Duddles
09-01-2009, 04:38 PM

I say it happens, but I will only participate when I get my new ukulele.

itsme
09-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Actually, I think Renaissance music sounds fantastic on a uke. :)

Providence
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Once I get my hands on a ukulele haha I'd be up for one anytime. I am getting one soon though rest assured. Once I am all settled in. By the way any thought to this guy being a spambot?

hoosierhiver
09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Flashback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOZ6xFxJqg&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

iRie415
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Hmmm... Whatever you're saying does not fit hopkinson's instrument. Dudes guitar looks huge and i dont see how you can compare a 4 stringed instrument to a frickin 16 stringed instrument.

Oh well... Apart from that, that hopkinson smith guy is badass at playin it though.

Ahnko Honu
09-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I prefer the Medieval Barbarian Guitar.
http://images.celebrateexpress.com/mgen/merchandiser/60598.jpg

cashew
09-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Note... 4 tuners... That be a uke with a REALLY long neck. I'd play that.

WhenDogsSing
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Looks like that thing has 45 long colt bullets on it...:eek:

bbycrts
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Craziest looking Pineapple Uke I've ever seen...

haolejohn
09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm more fond of its predecessor, Middle Ages Guitar and its forerunner, Western Roman Empire Guitar.

I guess you have never played the solid stone top from the stone ages guitar?

This post is in the wrong section BTW.

Skrik
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
This concrete guitar (http://www.guitar-list.com/bizarre-guitars/concrete-guitar) is as far from Renaissance as you can get, but I bet it sustains for years.

RonS
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
This concrete guitar (http://www.guitar-list.com/bizarre-guitars/concrete-guitar) is as far from Renaissance as you can get, but I bet it sustains for years.

That's one heavy guitar man, but Jimi Hendricks he aint.

:p