Renaissance guitar

renaissanceguitar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm dropping by to spread the word of the word about the Renaissance guitar.

As you know, the ukulele descended from the Portuguese cavaquinho.

Which in turn descended from the Renaissance guitar.

The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament").

Anyway, Renaissance guitars project better than ukes and definitely sound more organic and alive.

I thought the ukulele community would appreciate such a fine instrument and possibly be interested in its sublime repertoire. An excellent performer to look into (he has videos on Youtube) is Hopkinson Smith.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. Has anyone tried the Nylgut strings from aquilausa.com? You can order them at www.juststrings.com. I'm not a uke player (I play the archlute and classical guitar), but I don't have enough good things to say about Nylgut. It's much closer to the sound of gut than nylon, is unaffected by temperature and humidity and, being thinner than nylon, has a springier, livelier sound.

Is this an ad?

Yes, we know about Nylgut. It's one of our favorite Uke strings too.

In other words you're telling me your guitar thing is better than my uke? I'm not going to respond well to that.

Yeah not the best way to win friends and influence people is it?

Not so much... If the OP had searched they would know that ALOT of us use those strings...

The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament"

I looked at some Hopkinson Smith videos and nothing hes playing really matches this description...

The R. guitar is a small, double-course instrument tuned like the soprano uke except in unison pairs. It has tied gut frets, which allows for tempering (long story short, metal frets aren't the greatest for intonation; for more info look up "equal temperament").

Anyway, Renaissance guitars project better than ukes and definitely sound more organic and alive.

First post not only alienates I assume most of the people here but also is a pseudo ad for Aquila Nygut. A name that is dropped so often there could be a sub forum :)

Wow.

What manner of test equipment would be used to measure organicity and aliveness?

--Mark

I find all stringed instruments interesting, and I always like to hear about these lesser known ones. But I didn't hear on the videos anything that extraordinary about the ren guitar. Those offbeat instruments are usually pretty expensive, so I am sticking with the ukes. Not sure how those gut frets work. The concept seems rather makeshift. I guess they work for lutes well enough, but I would have to see one in person to be convinced.

–Lori

Is this one of those situations where we can block this member's account ?

A guitar better than my uke? I think not, sir! I would rather play my poor (read: hated) Mitchell MU-100 over the best guitar (renaissance or otherwise) any day!

What manner of test equipment would be used to measure organicity and aliveness?

--Mark

Some sort of compost detector?

I don't think he needs to be blocked, but I think he would have gotten more sympathy if he submitted it under the marketplace section.

Has anyone here tried Nylaguts? Funny.
That's like walking into my old neighborhood and hollering, "Hey, any y'all ever tried PBR?" :D

Lol. Tried them? I only have three spare sets laying around for two different sizes of ukes and have my only uke strung with them right now. I think it is safe to say I have tried them, and have not bought them from his website. :)

I'm all for trying other instruments....but BETTER than a...a...*gasp....wheeeeze....snort....choke...sput...ter*...I can't even think it, let alone SAY it! (without retching!)
:eek:
Besides I look terrrible in a bodkin....which is the only way playing it would sound right! HAH!

Last edited:
Never could bring myself to lend much credence to a guy in tights....

Top Bottom