I'm not too sure about these Aquila's.

ukulelearp

Reaction score
I've been playing ukulele for over a year now, and the strings I've used so far are GHS, D'adarrio, Martin Clears, Fremont Blacks, and Aquila Nylguts, in that order. I was pretty happy with the Fremonts, but I'd heard so much about the Aquila's that I went ahead and put them on my Fender tenor ukulele(Laminated Koa). I'm not sure if I like them. They feel great and are plenty loud, but don't seem to have much in the way oof sustain. Also, they seem to lack any subtlety, it almost seems like some notes get lost in a chord. Is this how they generally are, or are they just not so well suited for my ukulele?

well, aquilas usually have a pretty high tension, so that could be part of the sustain problem ( a little breaking in might help with the sustain). another brand to try might be worths, they get a lot of support here on the forum. I dont know about the lack of subtlety, could just be the one of the strings' characteristics

well, aquilas usually have a pretty high tension, so that could be part of the sustain problem ( a little breaking in might help with the sustain). another brand to try might be worths, they get a lot of support here on the forum. I dont know about the lack of subtlety, could just be the one of the strings' characteristics

Well by subtlety I mean I think the volume kind of overpowers some notes when you want to hammer-on and such. They seem much more suited to straight chords than things like fancier picking and such.

my old aqulias that have been on my concert for months feel and play much different to the new aqulias on my tenor. i much prefer the old ones and want to replace the new aqulias with other strings probably some worths.

My Moore Bettah tenor came with aquilas. Didn't like the feel of them. Because my soprano KoAloha had Worths and I loved the sound and the feel, I decided to try them on my MB. They not only feel better to me, but they most definitely have much more sustain. They really ring out. The Aquilas are slightly brighter on the attack, but they just don't hold the sustain. So I'm sticking with Worth on my tenor.

So far I have been very happy with Fremont, Martin and Worth. I tried Aquila and not so happy. Aquila seemed to be "flat" for lack of a better word. They projected but not as good 'a sound as the previous mentioned. Then again it could be me...

Well I was considering switching straight back to the Fremonts, but I think I'll give them a chance to break in.

I also tried aquilas for the first time a few days ago.

Awful awful awful awful awful awful.

Made my nice solid wood uke sound like a Mahalo.

Next stop - Worth BMs.

Aquilas are fine strings, I used them for quite a while before discovering Worth browns. They don't suit all players or all ukes. They can be a bit strident, and the slightly rougher surface feels a little funky at times. They are loud, and they project really well for payers who play into external mics onstage.

That said, I have come to prefer the feel, and slightly gentler sound, of Worth BTs on my mahogany tenor.

Aquilas are fine strings. They don't suit all players or all ukes.

I definitely agree.
Some of my ukes have Aquillas and some don't.

Trying to find the right string/sound for one of my tenors lead me to 3 different strings: Hilos (which it came with), low G Aquillas and Worth clears.

Each string gave the uke a totally different sound/personality...TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

I wound up keeping the Worths on. One of these days I might try high g Aquillas just to test it out.

I think Aquillas are very good strings and like buddhu said...they're not right for every uke or player. The same can be said of any string really.

I thought I liked them at first but after a week of squeaking and gushing, I took them off.

I tried Martin flourocarbons and really liked them, but after hearing myself recorded, I went back to Koolau Golds, not quite as dynamic, but nice, sweeter, etc. The flourocarbons were all pins and needles. These were mahogany ukes.

I'm not altogether sure I like the Aquilas either. I can't pinpoint why nor can I really decide to dislike them. The warmth they have for strumming is really nice and buttery, but there's a slight mushiness to some chords. I really don't like that the E string gets so nicked up by my nails from picking.

I bought a set for my tenor, but I haven't been able to get myself to put them on. I may try something else.

Personally I love 'em, but they may not be the best strings for every uke.

A buddy of mine with a '70s Martin guitar swears that the only strings that he likes are D'Addario - nothing else just brings out the sweetness in that particular guitar. There is a certain alchemy to matching instruments and strings, and it takes a bit of experimentation to find what sounds right to your ear.

I like the strident sound of the Aquilas because that compensates a bit for the fact that I keep my nails short and use my fingertips to pick.

I used to have Aquilas on all of my ukuleles before I learned about Worth Clears... I'll never use a different set of strings on any of my instruments.

I didnt like Aquilas on my Koaloha Tenor but they are what Im currently using on a Melokia Tenor. I had Worth Clears on the Tenor but it didnt have the volume even though I liked the tone. Just put on the Aquilas 2 days ago and so far I really like em. We'll see in about two weeks when they settle a bit

I like Aquilas on my laminate 'ukuleles, gives them more volume and clarity. I also use Worth, and Kala Reds, each 'ukulele being unique in string match to my ears.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I do agree that they sound nice fingerpicked, especially that since like RevWill I use my fingertips to pick. I'm just going to give them some time to "open up" and see if that helps. I'll also probably try the Worth strings eventually

I also don't like them much, they strangled my tenor. BUT they sound good on my cigar box concert. That's the only uke. But when I change them out it will be to Worth clears.

Top Bottom