Happy new (old) uke day to me!

KC8AFW

Reaction score
I have a local grocery store that I frequent (daily), so I pretty much know everybody that works there. And I'm a pretty social guy, so it's no big secret that I play the ukulele. Anyway...I was talking to one of the cashiers and he mentioned that he had an ukulele in storage that he didn't know how to play. I've been trying to convince him to get it out so we could jam together.

Long story short...he finally got it out of storage and brought it with him so I could check it out. I recognized the name "Favilla" but didn't remember if they were good, bad, or otherwise. I made the offer if he wasn't interested in learning to play it, I would buy it from him. So I ended up giving him $40 for it.

It needs a little work. The back is separating at the lower bout (should be an easy glue job) and it needs new friction tuners. There's a couple dings here and there, but I think that adds character. It sounds really nice, though.

Here are some pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I would have rather had someone to jam with...but I guess I'd also prefer this uke to be played instead of tucked away in some storage shed.

Pretty nice looking! That logo is actually pretty cool, too.

theres a lot of info on favilia ukes if you haven't already looked them up one of them looks alot like yours.

http://www.catfish1952.com/favilla.html

Thanks for the link. I see they have where Tom Favilla has agreed to answer questions. I'm going to try to get some better pictures and email him to see if he can identify the model and guess what era it's from. Based on what I've found so far...looks like it might be from the '30s or '40s.

That is a beautiful uke and in superb condition. It is a keeper, for sure. There are lots of people that love their old Favilla ukes. I have a feeling that you will soon be one of them.

Wow!!

Man, did you ever hit the jackpot! To find a Favilla soprano like that - for that price - would be like winning the lottery to me. :love: That is a very fine instrument and I hope you make some beautiful music on it. :music:

Ask around before you glue it up yourself or give it to a good luthier. Make sure you use the correct glue and the right technique. In nice shape they were bringing around a couple hundred or more, not sure now as the market has dropped quite a bit and is slow, but a glue up shouldn't run too much from a good professional.

I have the same model and got it for $20 but it's beat to crap. Still sounds wonderful though. Probably 30's is right, I got mine together with a uke from about 1920-28.

Thanks for the comments. I think I will try to find a decent luthier in my area to look at it (I work in Kalamazoo...former home of Gibson guitars). If I can't find somebody in the area with a good reputation...Elderly Instruments in Lansing is only 2 hours away.

I've been playing it...and it sounds pretty sweet. I've got a set of Worth CMs on the way (should have them next week). It actually had steel strings on it when I got it (weird, huh).

Okay...here's another picture. Maybe someone will recognize the style of friction tuners (with wooden buttons) and can help me narrow down the era it's from. I know they used the plastic buttons in the '50s and '60s. So far, I'm thinking it's from the '30s.

picture.php

Sorry for reviving a dead thread...but I had sent an email to Tom Favilla (of the Favilla stringed instrument family) asking if he could identify my Favilla soprano. Here's what he had to say:

Hi Kevin,
You have a model U-3 ukulele. Easy distinguishing feature is that the position marks on the fingerboard are inlaid, On the U-2 they are painted on. (U-3 has a thinner top than the U-2 and therefore a brighter sound to it). Judging from your photo's I would place it as being built somewhere in the mid 1930's to early 1940's.

Good luck with it. by the way, always nice to hear from a fellow ham operator.
Tom Favilla - N2MIG

I thought it was pretty nice that he responded.

Sorry for reviving a dead thread...but I had sent an email to Tom Favilla (of the Favilla stringed instrument family) asking if he could identify my Favilla soprano. Here's what he had to say:

I thought it was pretty nice that he responded.

Awesome! That sounds like a real gem--how do you like it?

Top Bottom