Trip to NYC

FrankBungle

Reaction score
hi guys,
i'm planning to do a trip in NYC during christmas holidays.

since i don't know anything at all about the city, i'd like to receive some suggestions about nice, "strategic" and quite cheap places to sleep.
i was thinking about harlem because, for what i've seen on tv, it always attracted me.

i'd also like to know things to do at night, like places to see some concerts or to listen to good music and stuff like that.

is the metro safe at night, do i need some foresights when i'm there?

thanks in advance for your help!!!

Consider finding a hotel in Hobboken just outside of the city in New Jersey. A lot of my friends right after graduation got their first place there because it was way cheaper and the “path train” into the city was actually faster getting to downtown than the trains were inside Manhattan itself.

Subway is totally safe at night – the city doesn’t sleep! But as with anywhere, keep your wits about you in uncertain areas and never look like you are lollyogging. Walk briskly and always look like you already know where you are going.

Ah, New York City at Christmas time. It's fabulous then. How about skating at Rockefeller Center or in Central Park? See the Rockettes Christmas Show -- beware, it's pricey. See the Christmas window at the stores. Go shopping. Can't help you with night stuff too much, but we always go to an Off-Broadway show. A really fun thing for us is to go to the "Top of the Rock" to see how the city looks from way up high. It's better and faster than the Empire State building. I think the subway is really fun. It drives my husband nuts that I act like a tourist, but people generally are very nice and friendly. Beware, if you go to a deli, know what you want when you order They get cranky if you hesitate. Have a wonderful trip. NYC is great!

NYC at Christmas is always an interesting place, the list of things to do is practically limitless.

Going in and out of New Jersey, albeit local can be a bit torturous especially during the Winter... Things will be more expensive during holiday time. I googled some stuff for you--

Inexpensive hotels (good if you're with more than yourself, and many of these hotels aren't bad)

And, some Hostels (but I cannot vouch for any of these)

The only thing I can advise other than that are comfortable walking shoes, and if its rainy/slushy, waterproof comfy boots. Trust me... Wet Cold feet stink.

As for safety, the subway is rather safe at night, as is walking around most places. (Obviously, walking into a dark alley at 2am by yourself is a bad idea. Even if you were in podunk nowhere. :) ) Most locals are friendly, and will give you directions if you need.

At Christmas, you MUST go to Herald Square (its on 34th st.) and see all the storefronts, then, you MUST go to Rockefeller Center (5th Ave and 48th street, I think) to see the tree and go ice skating.

Broadway is the touristy thing to do, there are any number of shows and restaurants to go and see... The Tkts stand in Times square (47th and Broadway) is a popular place to pick up discounted tickets for shows... BUT... there's another location at the South Street Seaport (Corner of Front St. and John St.). It tends to be less crowded, but it works on a different schedule. If I'm not mistaken, they take cash and travelers checks only (BUT, someone told me they take credit cards)

The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are two very interesting things to see-- You have to make reservations to climb to the top of the statue, but if you have the stamina, its well worth it. Ellis Island is an excellent museum of American immigration.

The Museum of the American Indian is an offshoot of the Smithsonian, It's within walking distance of the Statue of Liberty Ferry, and the Staten Island Ferry(which to me is a means of commute, but its free and many people like to go and take it to go and sight see). This museum is very interesting, I love educational things.

Trapeze School is supposed to be lots of fun (you'd never catch me doing it. EVER)

My all time favorite Museum is the American Museum of Natural History (did I mention I am a nerd?), including a trip to the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center of Earth and space (the visual you get walking up 81st street to the museum during the winter looks like a gigantic ice cube just sitting outside of Central park. So beautiful.) On Friday and Saturday nights at I think 7:30, they have a program called SonicVision... Its about an hour long and is nothing but fantastic.

If you're into clubbing, depending on what you're into, there is somewhere to go and something to do every night until the wee hours of the morning (or the late hours of the morning :) ) Let google be your director. The only thing I warn is that they can be VERY expensive.

Even though You are from 'Big' Italy, you might enjoy Little Italy, its definitely a very American place... its bordered by Chinatown, which is another great place to just walk around during the day and night.

That's all I can think of at the moment... Hope it helps!

I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
thank you very very much everyone!

i'll follow your suggestions for sure.

i'm really into educational things, so this is my priority, but you know...NYC is full of everykind of attraction, so i'll try to do a little bit of everything.

i'm sad that probably it won't be easy for me to see broadway shows...none of my fellow travellers speaks english!!!

as for clubbing, i'm not into disco music at all, i like play places where i can listen to some live rock, blues or jazz music. i'm gonna check what google can tell me.

if you ever want to come in italy, better still if you want to come in rome, you'll be welcome to ask me anything you want!

Urm... You know that that hotel is used mainly for its... hourly rates, right?

I just threw up in my mouth a bit...

stop by the museum of modern art too...53rd and 5th

http://www.moma.org/

really interesting all on its own and they'll have some cool exhibitions while you're in town too

i don't think that exists a hotel dirtier than one i've been recently. so nothing scares me! :D

returning in topic, i'd like to see a gospel mass to. it attracts me a lot.

i don't think that exists a hotel dirtier than one i've been recently. so nothing scares me! :D

returning in topic, i'd like to see a gospel mass to. it attracts me a lot.

If you can swing it...try to catch mass at St Patrick's Cathedral.

As far as staying at a hotel...reasonable and "strategic" you might look into Queens.

There are very reasonable hotels that are just minutes from the city by bus, car and/or train.

Sunnyside and Long Island City have some good hotels that offer decent prices. They are also closest to Manhattan...without being in Manhattan.

The hotels out by LGA are not worth it...plus they're expensive. That area is not the best as far as transportation goes.

Sunnyside is probably your most strategic location outside of Manhattan. It is right over the 59th street bridge and the subway is right there. There is a La Quinta (I believe is the name) right on Queens BLVD. that seems nice.

Odds are you will spend most of your time out of the room. So if keeping hotel cost down while being close to Manhattan is what you're looking for..that's the ticket.

Manhattan prices are bloated as far as lodging but if you want to stay there you'd better get cracking. Rooms are probably all filled up by now.

You've got a lot of good advice above. I can't help with your lodging question, but I have a few other ideas about things to do in NYC. A night ferry boat ride between Manhatten and Staten Island is a must. When I did this a LONG, LONG time ago it was just $0.25 each way. You go past the Statue of Liberty, which is all lit up beautifully. Also the Air and Space Museum on the aircraft carrier Intrepid is very interesting. Rent a bicycle in Central Park. Anyway, you won't run out of things to do. Have fun! Don't forget your uke. :music:

As far as lodging goes, I would recommend hostels, because they're always fun and you meet cool people. Couchsurfing is also really cool, and it's free, the website is www.couchsurfing.org. Basically you find people on the internet to stay with, and sleep on their couch. Most of the people on there are college students who just want to meet cool people from elsewhere, I swear it's not as shady as it sounds :)

Also, the area around Union Square has a lot of bars and clubs and it's a cool place to hang out/play a ukulele.

Have fun!
--Tina

As far as lodging goes, I would recommend hostels, because they're always fun and you meet cool people. Couchsurfing is also really cool, and it's free, the website is www.couchsurfing.org. Basically you find people on the internet to stay with, and sleep on their couch. Most of the people on there are college students who just want to meet cool people from elsewhere, I swear it's not as shady as it sounds :)

Also, the area around Union Square has a lot of bars and clubs and it's a cool place to hang out/play a ukulele.

Have fun!
--Tina

i just read an article in the paper a few weeks ago where a lady did that couch surfing thing from that site and ended up at least getting raped and maybe killed. i don't really remember exactly. be careful with that. that was just one person though out of, i'm sure, alot of people that do it and don't have a problem.

i really like the city around christmas. it gets really crowded w/ tourists and it's hard to do any x mas shopping, but it's still pretty neat.

has anyone mentioned the staten island ferry yet? it's free and has a really nice view of the statue of liberty.

the american folk art museum is pretty neat
http://www.folkartmuseum.org/

the whitney
http://whitney.org/index.php

frick collection
http://www.frick.org/

if you like japanese tapas kind of food theres village yokocho
http://www.yelp.com/biz/village-yokocho-new-york

the best ramen in the city
http://www.yelp.com/biz/minca-new-york

good dosas at hampton chutney company
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hampton-chutney-co-new-york-2

incredible cream puffs at beard papas, i love these things
http://www.yelp.com/biz/beard-papas-cream-puffs-new-york-2

i would get a time out new york when you first get here (weekly magazine of things to do)

Last edited:
well i guess now i know everything i need to know.
i'm ready, this week, job permitting, i'm gonna try to book.

thanks a bunch again to all of you. you've been very nice!

but people generally are very nice and friendly.
This will always be my memory of New York... Went there for a meeting, showed up at the office building, the room I was told to go to was dark and no one was there. So I approached the secretary outside and said, "Excuse me, but I thought there was supposed to be a meeting here, and there aren't even any lights on." In a typical rude New Yorker fashion, she said, "So what, you can't push a button, turn the lights on yourself?" :rolleyes:

Top Bottom