Blue moon ukes....?

Interstella

Reaction score
So I bought a Uke about a month ago at the Folk Festival in Broadstairs, England after seeing a 100 strong Uke parade! I was inspired. Have been playing it fairly religiously and I love it so much, even though I have no previous musical experience.

Anyway, my uke is a cheapo one...a Blue Moon... in green woo! It only cost me 20 quid and it doesn't hide the fact it is made in China. I don't expect it to be amazing but there a few things I wondered about it...

Firstly...although I just ordered new strings to replace the fishing lines it came with... it still seems to need tuning at least twice daily. Is this because of the terrible strings of is more likely the tuning pegs?

Secondly... I am a very basic beginner but it seems to vibrate a lot? Not sure of the right term for it but it sounds like the string is miss hit when it isnt? Maybe im talking mumbo jumbo?!

Anyone else own a cheapo Blue Moon with any good advice to improve them?

The tuning thing is fairly normal. Most steel string guitars will need a little tuning twice a day (next time you play, check with your electronic tuner. If you discover it was out just a little, you'll find that by really tuning it right every time, your ear will improve massively, and you'll soon be able to tell even when it's a tiny bit out). Nylon strings are much more susceptible to stretching and to changes in temperature than steel are. I have a £1000 Collings uke here to test, and if I haven't played it for a few hours, I'll still check the tuning.

As far as the buzzing, that could be due to an iffy neck, meaning the strings are buzzing on higher frets, or it could just be something loose. Another possibility - I work from home, and I often play at my desk (there's almsot always a uke on top of my printer). I often used to accidentally rest the uke against the desktop, and that resulted in some quite unpleasant sympathetic vibrations! I've not played any Blue Moon instruments - I'd quite like to try one of their citternes, but with a budget brand, there's a high risk of getting sometihng a bit crappy.

Top Bottom