Treating your Ukulele Respectfully

Ken

Reaction score
Lately the paint on my ukulele has been peeling off due to my careless chunks and crazy strums (in imitation of Jake S. or just plain strumming really really hard) and there have been a heck of a lot of vertical scratches under and around the strings.

I don't feel like I'm worthy of getting a better ukulele (my current one is relatively cheap, very comparable to those Makala Dolphins) until I can manage to treat my ukuleles better.

So I ask you UUers, what should I do to prevent these scratches and peels? Should I start playing slower and with more care? Change my chunking and strumming method? What are some general ukulele care tips?

I thank you responders in advance.

respect? i beat the crap out of my fluke. strumming scratches have taken off the finish on one side of the neck. but if you want scratch protection, check out some of these liinks Kanaka916 compiled in a previous thread.

Don't move your hand so much. I can play VERY loud on guitar or uke without removing my little finger from the top. The less you move it, the more control you have anyhow.

I make a sacrifice to my ukes every third Wednesday of the lunar month. If that isn't respect, I'm not sure what is. Of course, being a vegetarian, I only kill a slice of tofu, but it's the thought that counts.​

If it's a cheap uke, I wouldn't really worry about the scratches. Even if it's an expensive uke I wouldn't really worry about the scratches. I would rather see some wear from playing (like snowflakes, everyone's wear looks a little different) than a shiny little piece of plastic. All those scratches are is love.

...but the way I play I rarely even touch the top of my uke with my strumming hand so what do I know? Maybe it would bother me if I had that problem. Get your guard on if you want. If not, just get your scratch on.

Thank you all very much for the helpful replies.

I'll try to play more slowly and with more control and stop worrying about scratches and dings. I still worry about the blue color peeling off and showing the wood underneath though =(.

Although with most of the upper class ukuleles, they don't even have color do they? They're just wood? If so, then I guess this problem will only be relevant with this blue ukulele.

I do hear however that playing around the 12th fret (or wherever the neck meets the body) is a "sweet spot"? I should probably play up there anyway then.

Anywho though thank you all for all of your collective ukulele wisdom.

Last edited:
I do hear however that playing around the 12th fret (or wherever the neck meets the body) is a "sweet spot"? I should probably play up there anyway then.

It's really only partly a matter of "sweet spot". It's also a matter of simply being where one's hand naturally falls when holding up a uke. (Are you using a strap? For that matter, are you using a pick?)

As far as "respect" goes? Phooey. Ukes love to be played. If they get a little worn and shabby along the way, well that's just par for the course.

Have we learned nothing from The Velveteen Rabbit? :)

JJ

you know what... I strum like crazy and fast like hell, but I don't have any marks on my ukulele. Rule, strum hard, but only in vertical motion. You don't have to force your hand towards the ukulele. Pulling the strings or pushing them doesn't make them sound any louder than just going up and down. IF you use the side of the thumbs and fingers, you won't have to worry about a stray finger flying towards the uke and causes scratches. Goal... twenty years from now, my koaloha should still be in pristine condition, minus some finger board marks.

My satin-finish Lanikai has "shiny" spots on the upper bout from "chunking". I think it adds character and shows it's being played. :music:

I laugh because we treat our ukes like our dogs. Sometimes we treat them better than our kids.

Wear marks are cool.

But if you dont like them, it is due to your strumming technique. Try to do more controlled and deliberate strumming, and avoid hitting the top of your uke. Don't bury your finger that deep into the strings and try more of a grazing of the strings.

And if you're too cheap for any of the pick guards reccommended, blue painters tape works too! :p

I think everyone should have at least one instrument that they beat up. I find that it's the only way to really learn what you want to learn without limiting yourself because os a scratch.

It would be really cool to have the first SRV of ukes... :D

And years later you can look at your beat up uke and say, that's the reason why you play so good today.

You could try to strum more up on the neck rather than over the sound hole, that way when you strum hard your fingers miss the soundboard, preventing damage ;)

ever see willie nelson's guitar?

watched him play once on TV not too long ago and underneath his sound hole was so eroded that it wasnt even round anymore and had a giant chunk missing and what was there looked like termites had eaten it...not to mention the rest of his guitar.

Willie_s_guitar.0.0.0x0.500x333.jpeg

RoryGallagher2.gif

1262292895_5e05e15db3.jpg

Honest wear and tear makes it yours.

Top Bottom