Looking for a luthier

mangouker

Reaction score
I have an idea for a custom ukulele and im wondering if there is a luthier who could do it and quote me. I know i will not be able to buy it now but im looking for the goal i have to save for. here is the idea:

I will be going to Kenya for two years so it will be an African Theme.

-A super concert made of African Blackwood neck, body, fretboard
-rounded back maybe not sure yet
-The sound hole would be in the shape of the Africa outlined in Zebrawood
-I want the binding to be in Zebrawood top and bottom.
-Fretboard markers and side markers also in Zebrawood in the shape of Kenya or "Africa" written across it in Zebrawood.
-"Africa" on the headstock in Zebrawood
-black geared tuners with Zebrawood knobs

thanks like i said i do intend to buy this uke it most likely wont be for a while, but as the idea came to my brain i was wondering what it would cost to make a dream reality.

I have an idea for a custom ukulele and im wondering if there is a luthier who could do it and quote me. I know i will not be able to buy it now but im looking for the goal i have to save for. here is the idea:

I will be going to Kenya for two years so it will be an African Theme.

-A super concert made of African Blackwood neck, body, fretboard
-rounded back maybe not sure yet
-The sound hole would be in the shape of the Africa outlined in Zebrawood
-I want the binding to be in Zebrawood top and bottom.
-Fretboard markers and side markers also in Zebrawood in the shape of Kenya or "Africa" written across it in Zebrawood.
-"Africa" on the headstock in Zebrawood
-black geared tuners with Zebrawood knobs

thanks like i said i do intend to buy this uke it most likely wont be for a while, but as the idea came to my brain i was wondering what it would cost to make a dream reality.
A lot of "Africa" in that design "Too much Zebra"..What about a "Giraffe style Neck":).

Last edited:
Check the 2 stickies in this forum. The first two threads are listings of luthiers. I think the inlays alone will cost some $$$. Good luck in your quest.

You have no idea how inappropriate blackwood would be - for a start it's far too dense for a ukulele and secondly I'll give away a mastergrade koa set to the luthier who is able to bend this stuff to the tight curves of a concert. Talk to luthiers who have tried this stuff for guitars - I bet they only make one in it and then charge a massive premium for subsequent enquiries because they don't want to work it and use this ruse to put people off. REPENT YE and chose another wood... Khaya Ivorensis for example... And as for that zebrawood rubbish...

Ooooh er - I better go and take my tablets now :eek:ld: :music: :eek: ;)

hahaha...well..there go...anybody up for the challenge? theres a mater grade koa set on the line now haha jk guess i shall search more into my woods thanks pete :)

You might as well make it from plywood... blackwood and ebony are great for guitars, not ukulele. Repeat after me: "Balckwood bad, Koa good, Ebony bad, Mahogany good" etc until you get the point. They are truly outstanding woods but they are not strictly 'tonewoods' and they require a high degree of understanding and skill to work. It honestly would surprise me if any luthier would be prepared to undertake the build on the back of a guaranteed 'good' sound. I certainly wouldnt. However I use blackwood for fingerboards - I like the dense 'hairy' look of the grain; almost like a Tenmoku pottery glaze...

I hesitate to ask for fear of incurring Pete's wrath, but I'm curious about the characteristics of some of the woods mentioned in Bruko's custom checklist here.

I have a Bruko no.6 mahogany soprano and although I'm only a newbie, I think it's lovely. I hear that their customs are quite affordable and I may one day want to have one made.

No wrath - it's simple... some woods are great for guitars, some for ukulele and some for both. Mahogany, Cherry, Walnut, Koa all make great sounding ukulele. Spruce/hardwood, to my ears produces a guitar-like sound.

We all have our little pecadillos and I am not right - this is my opinion which in the true scheme of things doesn't amount to a heap of beans anyway :shaka:

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. A cherry walnut uke sounds delicious, but not as romantic as one made of moor oak. I'll post again if I ever seriously speak to the Bruko people about this.

You might as well make it from plywood... blackwood and ebony are great for guitars, not ukulele. Repeat after me: "Balckwood bad, Koa good, Ebony bad, Mahogany good" etc until you get the point. They are truly outstanding woods but they are not strictly 'tonewoods' and they require a high degree of understanding and skill to work. It honestly would surprise me if any luthier would be prepared to undertake the build on the back of a guaranteed 'good' sound. I certainly wouldnt. However I use blackwood for fingerboards - I like the dense 'hairy' look of the grain; almost like a Tenmoku pottery glaze...

There is a lot of truth to what you say.

My favorite tonewoods for guitars are Brazilian Rosewood with a Skita top. I truly believe there is no better combination. I had a Martin D28 like that, but it was stolen back in the 70s when I was gigging, along with my Gibson F5. I'm still heart broken over it.

I have since purchased 2 Martins both with Indian Rosewood backs and sitka spruce tops. Plus 2 Ovations, one with a redwood top and the other made from Carbon Fiber. (Did I mention I own 9 acoustics?)

Look around, you will see guitars and ukes made from all kinds of wood and materials. Once in a thread you even insisted on using balsa for a build. I'm not sure how that is better than using blackwood.

The point of my post is this... Yes, there are better sounding woods for different types of instruments. A good luthier will try to persuade a buyer to choose the best woods to make a great sounding instrument.

The bottom line is this...
Sometimes a little bedside manner is called for, a customer my want certain types of wood for a reason. In which case, the paying customer is always right.

That is Ron, if you need the business. There are certain things I just won't do because I have been there, worn the T shirt and regretted every moment of it. Building ukulele against sound principles is not an furrow I wish to plough... and now, I chose my customers - anyone displaying the least smidgen of awkwardness gets their deposit back and their uke goes into the queue/line for another customer who gets theirs early. Being in the non bling business means that customisation is not something I do a lot of so I can do this. I've done it twice so far and those people will never get a new Howlett no matter how loud they plead. It just is not worth the aggrovation.

Good points again.

I understand that sometimes it is best to fire the customer rather then continue a bad relationship.

But I disagree, it is not always, "if you need the business".
Your point isn't wrong for a one man shop specializing in a single type of product.
It's just that we have different business philosophies.

I'm just a hack when it comes to tonewoods, but people gotta understand that just cuz it works on a guitar, doesnt mean it transfers well over onto a uke.

granted---to each his own---and that is my disclaimer for the following

I dont like mahogany guitars...I think they have too much low end and sound a bit muddled, but some of the best ukes I've heard are mahogany. Its the nature of the instruments voice...ukes have a higher voice and so that low end takes off some of the sharper edge and gives it a warmer, softer sound.
Also say that you want a sitka top, ok, thats going to enhance the treble, so now you need the sides and back to balance out the sound.

Your building plan should be based on what sound do I want, since there are so many beautiful choices of wood and many combinations that will look beautiful. You need to find the right combination to produce your signature sound and create the aesthetic you desire.

You gotta understand that the luthier has a better idea than you do on the tone a given combination will produce. In my mind I think I'd like mahogany back, walnut sides, and maybe koa top or spruce...but that is only MY MIND, I dont know if that would sound good or even look good, so I take my IDEA to the luthier, and he offers me better guidance. You work out your uke together.

Top Bottom