PDA

View Full Version : Wife cringes when I play

deach
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I started playing the ukulele a few weeks ago so I kinda understood when she had the scowl on her face whenever I played. I really didn't think I was that bad so I asked what her deal was. She said the ukulele reminded her of her younger years when her parents would listen to Tiny Tim and his ukulele. How do I get her to overcome this? Should I just get a new wife?

Plainsong
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Learn songs she likes and play them in an un-George Formby way. Mom grew up on Oahu so she made of fun of my getting a uke as well. Then I played House of the Rising Sun and Paint it Black and that stopped me getting made fun of.

JumpingPulgas
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I used to get funny looks from my wife too when I first started learning how to play the uke, but as I got better, she started liking it. And like PlainSong said, it helps to play songs that she really likes. I still get funny looks from my wife, but it's for other stuff :D

seeso
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Time for a new wife!! ;)

Seriously, though... I suggest you learn one of her favorite songs and surprise her with your rendition.

Ukulele_Junkie
04-15-2008, 02:24 PM
hahaha dude thanks for sharing the name of that musician, man thats really weird when i searched i thought at first he was jus joking around, then as i went through all the other vids man.....:eek: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IYnjASLYKdA

what kind of songs are u playing as of now?

Lanark
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Perseverance.

If you keep playing long and hard enough she'll eventually stop associating unpleasant ukulele playing with Tiny Tim and start associating it solely with you. So I'd suggest keep her and keep practicing.

Vroom
04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Should I just get a new wife?

HAHAHA

clearly that would solve it. but you might get lonely. She'll get used to it.

deach
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

what kind of songs are u playing as of now?

It's not really the type of music or the songs I play, it's just the sound/tone of the ukulele that grates on her.

deach
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
HAHAHA

clearly that would solve it. but you might get lonely. ....

Lonely? I thought the ukulele was a chick magnet. :confused:

Ukeguy510
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Haha. Are you sure your wife isn't just jealous that you spend more time or maybe even treat your ukulele better than her? My wife used to be that way until I bought her a uke of her own. Now she's hook'd ;)

Ian Boys
04-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Learn the song 'Pearly Shells' or something along those lines....

....depending on what sort of person she is, she'll think it's incredibly sweet, or she'll want to kill you.

But seriously... just learn to play something you know she likes, or even take a request or two...

Plainsong
04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I wonder if that would work on my husband? He's a great guitar player. He doesn't play anymore because he's lazy while on the couch. I think the uke would be ideal, especially with the 6 string options out there, but he won't play it because he's "afraid he'll forget how to play guitar." Playing sax did not make me forget clarinet so I know that's hooey.

So I'm wondering if I should just get him one and say "play it!". But the bad thing is he'll balk if it's expensive, but he won't play it if it sounds cheap. He is very particular. I think anything that's a laminated wood is out. He can seriously hear it, even in the youtube vids.

UkuleleHill
04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I wonder if that would work on my husband? He's a great guitar player. He doesn't play anymore because he's lazy while on the couch. I think the uke would be ideal, especially with the 6 string options out there, but he won't play it because he's "afraid he'll forget how to play guitar." Playing sax did not make me forget clarinet so I know that's hooey.

So I'm wondering if I should just get him one and say "play it!". But the bad thing is he'll balk if it's expensive, but he won't play it if it sounds cheap. He is very particular. I think anything that's a laminated wood is out. He can seriously hear it, even in the youtube vids.

Totally recommend Uke over Guitar any day... I came from playing Guitar and love playing the uke so much more...

seeso
04-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Yeesh, that would be an expensive trial, if you're not sure it would work. It's got to be solid wood, eh? Maybe a spruce Kala?

You're right, it is hooey. He won't forget how to play guitar. I didn't. He's just making excuses to sit on the couch. And people should use the word "hooey" more often. Hooey.

Playing an ukulele just may get him to pick up the guitar again, too. Who knows?

tad
04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Arrange a local meet-up and get some of your playing done out of the house?

Seriously. The DC meetup needs to HAPPEN. I'm tired of my friends thinking my uke habit is novel or cute.

dakine2009
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
keep practicing...she'll learn to love it.
=D

Plainsong
04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I missed the local Uke Fest that was happening down at a nice musician's pub tonight. I haven't been sick all year, but yesterday the flue landed and exploded all over my face. I feel like crap and my head is spinning and today I have a tech rehearsal for a play I'm in. And it's not optional because it is a tech rehearsal, the first time they add scoring and lighting and you sort of have to be there.

So there's no way I could make a long night of it tonight and be in shape for the rehearsal. Damn, I've been looking forward to it all year. :(

I like the word hooey. I like other worse words, but hooey has its place. :D Spruce Kalas are very pretty. I've been cruising spruce ukes and I love the look of the Kala and the sound of the Risa spruce.

davoomac
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
That's Hooey. Show your wife some of the music that's being played on the ukulele these days. Maybe some Jake or aldrine or james hill.

Howlin Hobbit
04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Show your wife some of the music that's being played on the ukulele these days. Maybe some Jake or aldrine or james hill.

Or John King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASGPPAK-p7w) or Brian Hefferan (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQGbEj32_ac) or Gus (aka GUGUG) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pOGedgK2kpA) or... well, you get the idea.

Heck, even lil ol' me... if you choose the video real careful-like! ;)

Plainsong
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
My husband thinks Iz's Over the rainbow/wonderful world should be how Battlestar Galactica ends. Seriously. But he was raised in a jazz family and his dad was too busy being a head master at a school to go follow his famous jazz pianist friend on the road to fame.

His dad is a trumpet player, likes dixieland stuff and avid Louis Armstrong fan. So Wonderful World with a reggae vibe to my husband is just like peas and carrots.

He was following a thread at a place called Something Awful about ukuleles, and it was mostly trolls saying "get a guitar." He didn't neccesarily agree, but when he mentioned the thread, I showed him a little bit of Jake. He agreed that guy would shut those people up real quick.

deach
04-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I think it may be easier getting rid of her than converting her. Gwen Stefani are you listening? It's time to leave that shell of a marriage of yours.....

Gwen Stefani
04-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I think it may be easier getting rid of her than converting her. Gwen Stefani are you listening? It's time to leave that shell of a marriage of yours.....

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6726/gwenstefanihairstyleswi0.jpg

I'm listening honey. Your ukulele is big enough for me. ;)

davoomac
04-16-2008, 01:49 AM
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6726/gwenstefanihairstyleswi0.jpg

I'm listening honey. Your ukulele is big enough for me. ;)

Gwen! welcome to the forums!!!!!

deach
04-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dnewton2
04-16-2008, 01:58 AM
When I first started My wife was not to thrilled with my constant "playing". But it turns out she liked it and didn't even know. I travel about a week a month for work, and she told me after a while she missed hearing me play everyday. So I would just keep up the playing and maybe stop for a day and she might realize that she acctually likes it.

Or find a W.I.F.E.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327&page=2

scroll down some.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Gwen! welcome to the forums!!!!!

Im thinking its not actually Gwen haha

davoomac
04-16-2008, 02:43 AM

I was totally joking bro...:(

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
oh hahaha

sorry there bro - im not the best at taking the sarcasm haha

bof
04-16-2008, 02:48 AM

How did you figure that out?

Okay, let's face it, the Ukulele had an image problem and maybe still has... Isn't that the joke guitar? etc... Some of my friends even want me to pick up a guitar instead of the Ukulele, because they htink my time is wasted on it :mad:.
And probably that is majorly caused by comedians and tv-clowns (even in "the simpsons" it is played by krusty the clown, watch the episode where he mets his daughter) who thought it would be funny to play such a tiny instrument and rock on it or whatever.
But well luckily, this is changing since the internet popped up and jake and the others got some youtube fame.
At least you have an additional motivation to get better and better, so your wife will become a fan of the ukulele and your playing.

uber_goober
04-16-2008, 04:08 AM
In regards to the wife thinking the ukulele isn't quite her cup of tea, I had a similar experience. When I first got into ukulele a few years ago and told her I wanted to buy one she was kind of like "okay....". She also associated it with Tiny Tim, etc.

I just approached it like I do my guitar playing, and suddenly it was like "that sounds nothing like what thought". So it was a positive. Now she hums the melodies when I play some of the "new school" ukulele tunes (Jake, Danie Ho, etc.) and enjoys my Sunday morning "coffee jam".

Just make the instrument yours.

-John

Gwen Stefani
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6461/gwenstefanithesweetescajf9.jpg

Are you ignoring me, Deach? Don't make me cry. :(

deach
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Never! I hope you don't mind that my kids refer to you as Gwen StepMommy.

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
My husband was supportive. He figured "small and 4-strings, you might be able to play it."

In other words, people who can't play guitar, play uke. :(

But he's not actually that elitist about it. His dad keeps a lute by the couch, so he was raised that it's pretty normal kick back, pick up something small, and play it.

CYNICALifornia
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I've been playing for a month and change now, and did get few odd looks when I started.

Funny thing now though is people are constantly asking me if I brought uke and will play it.

I think there are a lot of positive ideas here, but in the end, you mihgt just have to move it to the garage . . .

seeso
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I missed the local Uke Fest that was happening down at a nice musician's pub tonight. I haven't been sick all year, but yesterday the flue landed and exploded all over my face. I feel like crap and my head is spinning and today I have a tech rehearsal for a play I'm in. And it's not optional because it is a tech rehearsal, the first time they add scoring and lighting and you sort of have to be there.

So there's no way I could make a long night of it tonight and be in shape for the rehearsal. Damn, I've been looking forward to it all year. :(

I like the word hooey. I like other worse words, but hooey has its place. :D Spruce Kalas are very pretty. I've been cruising spruce ukes and I love the look of the Kala and the sound of the Risa spruce.

How are you feeling now, Plainsong? Hope you're feeling better. I know how tech week can go, I'm an actor too.

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I was told not to show up for rehearsal. The play is in a few weeks and the director didn't want to risk everyone getting my flue. Good choice, I wouldn't have known who I was, much less my lines. Also my parts are minor enough that lighting isn't going to effect me. I mean if they can't light the center of the stage what hope is there.

But yeah, I feel horrible, and my head is pounding and I have a fever and there's a small colony of goo in my throat and I can't breathe.... and just for fun: We have none of those cold medications that knock your butt out. In fact there are no cold medications sold in Finland. Also, Finnish colds are the WORST. I gave one to mom once, and even her doctor commented that's one of the worst colds she'd seen.

I just hope when we move to the US, my husband has as bad a time when he gets a cold. It's all about the germs you're used to. It always seems like once a year I get one of these horrible things, and this year is no exception. :(

jhob
04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm lucky because my fiancee loves my uke and even says she find it soothing and that it helps her get to sleep! Except tonight that is when she had a headache and I was playing it in her ear, oops! But most of the time she does really like it, we've even had a few sing-a-longs, guess I'm one of the lucky ones... actually I know I am one of the lucky ones!

jhob
04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I also had a friend who really didn't like my uke at first when I was just about learning to play but when she heard me a couple of weeks ago I totally turned her! I made the wise move of playing a Flaming Lips song (her favourite band) and we all had a bit of a sing, I even had her humming one of my own compositions by the end of the day - result!

So the moral of that story is once a uke hater, not always a uke hater.

JoeyJr858
04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
new wife! I'm on my 2nd!! JUST KIDDING! lol

I would say... learn an Iz tune or Ka'au Crater boy jam. They're fairly simple to learn (strum only... lol) and you don't have to be Luther Vandross to sing these jams! hehe
wouldn't hurt to have that voice though!!!
HEHEHEHEH

BEST of luck!!! :D

UKESTAR
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Learn some finger style or "fingerpicking" and focus on more modern songs. Check out dominators ukulele tabs. Reading tabs is pretty easy. Personally, I don't really like the old school style of uke at all myself. The Tiny Tim strumming style drives me nuts..

Have her listen to Jake Shimabukuro to expose the modern potential of you uke. Who knows, Jake makes fans out of non-believers all the time.

JumpingPulgas
04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
How about doing a Gwen Stefani song? If your wife doesn't appreciate it, I'm sure Gwen will :D

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Did you see a new version of the Muppets where Gwen was on? Yeah, there's actually some bloopers and they're on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

la_ingrit
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM

LOL THIS GWEN STEFANI THINGY IS SOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!

I HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT WOMEN ARE DIFFICULT...AND IM A WOMAN AND YEAH I'M DFFICULT SOMETIMES (ASK BOYFRIEND LOL)...BUT YOU BETTER TALK TO HER...AND EXPLAIN HER THAT YOU LOVE PLAY UKULELE AND ACTUALLY YOU ARE LEARNING BECAUSE SHE INSPIRE YOU...OR SOMETHING CHEESY LIKE THAT ...AND I'M SERIOUS!!! THE GIRLS LOVE THAT STUFF (I LIKE THAT CHEESY STUFF) AND SHE WILL FEEL IMPORTANT..!!!!

WOMEN ARE SMART...BELIEVE ME...YOU JUST GOTTA BE A LIL MORE SOMETIMES!!! TRUST ME!!!

MGM
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
You guys are lucky you get to play ... I have mine tell me i cannot talk mention, look at, or touch a ukulele for her quality time. She always tells me on the phone too Its uke free zone..no uke talk ..no uke business talk... lol
i guess I'll have to talk about american idol but not mention last weeks IZ's song or the ukulele on the show.....oh its soooo hard

menehunenyc
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh I hear ya man, no uke playing when the wife gets home from work, she needs peace and quite...blah blah blah...I gotta get my riffs when while shes away, but if she finds out then she complains that I play too much and don't get anything else accomplished...blah blah blah...

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 05:14 PM
You guys are lucky you get to play ... I have mine tell me i cannot talk mention, look at, or touch a ukulele for her quality time. She always tells me on the phone too Its uke free zone..no uke talk ..no uke business talk... lol
i guess I'll have to talk about american idol but not mention last weeks IZ's song or the ukulele on the show.....oh its soooo hard

When I talk about stuff my husband isn't into, he hums a tune from a Simpsons episode. It showed what was going on inside Homer's head while Marge talked to him. It was just too silly cartoon characters doing stuff in time to a tune.

When he hums that tune, I know there are actually cartoons playing inside his head. ;)

Actually I think it's a bit lopsided because I have no problems when he talks about his hobbies with me. But somehow I can't talk about my hobbies with him without getting the 1000-mile stare.

As for Idol - just call it a little guitar. :D

But he should have totally come to you for a uke. You woulda hooked him up. Speaking of which, the Pono PTO is down at the post office, just waiting for me to get the notice that I have to come to the custom's office and declare it. :)

seeso
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Did you see a new version of the Muppets where Gwen was on? Yeah, there's actually some bloopers and they're on youtube.

Darn you!! :D

JumpingPulgas
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Darn you!! :D

Hahaha....good one :D Ok, now I want the chords to this song :p

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Aldrine Rickrolled himself when he started playing it during the last live feed. :D

I couldn't resist. I mean, it's muppets, and I love muppets. :)

Howlin Hobbit
04-17-2008, 07:00 AM

Best. Rickroll. Ever.

seeso
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Best. Rickroll. Ever.

That's the only rickroll I've ever watched all the way through.

davoomac
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Something about that rick roll made me watch it all the way through. :p

Plainsong
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
It's Beaker. He'll never give you up, or let let you down. :D

We have Beaker and Bunson sitting in a glass cabinet. In fact Beaker has fallen over a bit and looks like he's giving oral pleasure to Dr. Bunson. Hmmm....

seeso
04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I always wondered about those two. Beaker was always useless in the lab. Guess he had other reasons for being there. ;)

Gwen Stefani
09-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Never! I hope you don't mind that my kids refer to you as Gwen StepMommy.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6257/coolou6.jpg

Oh no! You're not suggesting we get married, are you Deachy? I was hoping we'd just have an illicit affair.

deach
09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6257/coolou6.jpg

Oh no! You're not suggesting we get married, are you Deachy? I was hoping we'd just have an illicit affair.

Married?!?!? Hells NO! But my kids are gonna wonder who the woman is that I disappear into the bedroom for days at a time.

UKISOCIETY
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Married?!?!? Hells NO! But my kids are gonna wonder who the woman is that I disappear into the bedroom for days at a time.

;)Who's this Gwen Stefani woman? ;)She's neat looking! ;)

Deach, tell your wife that Gwen understands your luv uv uke and that will get her jealous enough to accept it. :)

deach
09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
;)Who's this Gwen Stefani woman? ;)She's neat looking! ;)

Deach, tell your wife that Gwen understands your luv uv uke and that will get her jealous enough to accept it. :)

My wife would happily pack my ukes and send me over to Gwen's house.

deach
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
My wife play uke with me, thats the ticket Deach.

So you want me to send my wife to your place? I will....

thesoobz
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
ey! bro

hmm get a new wife.. HAHA just kidding =)

but yeah just play songs she likes! and sing to her serenade her ! make her have new memories. i mean help her create new memories for the ukulele. =)

deach
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
ey! bro

hmm get a new wife.. HAHA just kidding =)

but yeah just play songs she likes! and sing to her serenade her ! make her have new memories. i mean help her create new memories for the ukulele. =)

Cheaper to keep her.

thesoobz
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
cheaper to keep her? haha thats a funny way of putting things deach. haha ey do you have vids up cause your all over this forum and i just wanted to see.

deach
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
cheaper to keep her? haha thats a funny way of putting things deach. haha ey do you have vids up cause your all over this forum and i just wanted to see.

i was featured in this vid Kissed a girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwfKL7SxEQ)

and i do have a YT channel but here are my most entertaining vids.

Beth by KISS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI6qX35aYTE)

Rough Boy - ZZ Top (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvxHd5gB4o)

RON<>VA
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I started playing the ukulele a few weeks ago so I kinda understood when she had the scowl on her face whenever I played. I really didn't think I was that bad so I asked what her deal was. She said the ukulele reminded her of her younger years when her parents would listen to Tiny Tim and his ukulele. How do I get her to overcome this? Should I just get a new wife?

Deach, have you considered doing a special video for your wife, playing your uke in the nude?

or, do you think you could ask her to fake enjoyment while you play? Wives are known to do that from time to time.

or, you could get a blow-up doll that looks like your wife. Set it on the couch in front of you and just play your heart out!

Glad I could help. You're welcome.

thejumpingflea
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Just play Tiptoe thru the Tulips. Once that is out of the way she won't complain about the other songs you play!

deach
09-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Deach, have you considered doing a special video for your wife, playing your uke in the nude?
I always play the uke in the nude. and clean the house in the nude, and do yard work nude.... It's more shocking to see me with clothes on.

or, do you think you could ask her to fake enjoyment while you play? Wives are known to do that from time to time.
20 years Ron, 20 years....nuff said.

or, you could get a blow-up doll that looks like your wife. Set it on the couch in front of you and just play your heart out!
Another one?

Just play Tiptoe thru the Tulips. Once that is out of the way she won't complain about the other songs you play!
You're not married are you?

Ukuleleblues
09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Take up the Banjo for awhile, that should soften her up to the uke.

dnewton2
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Have you tried playing I'm Yours?:D

deach
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Have you tried playing I'm Yours?:D

Never heard of it. Do you have the tabs?

dnewton2
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Never heard of it. Do you have the tabs?

Never heard of it? I think it won the Grammy for best song EVER.

I don't think there are tabs for it anywhere.

russ_buss
09-12-2008, 02:04 PM

every time you hear I'm Yours, an angel gets it's wings. true story.

deach
09-12-2008, 02:07 PM

It's sad that with all this technology, there isn't a place, a site if you will, where you can input data, maybe by typing or something like that, into a little box. Maybe something like typing "I'm Yours Mraz Tabs" and then pressing a button and magically your answer would appear. Maybe someday.

I'm yours,
Jason

samhall
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Ugh... My girl hates when I play, but if i dont play I'm wasting money on a ukulele that I don't ever use. I hate her.

RON<>VA
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
20 years Ron, 20 years....nuff said.

Try 40 years...beyond nuff said.

Craig
09-12-2008, 04:38 PM
My wife looks funny at me whether I'm playing the ukulele or not! Just don't play, "Tip Toe..."

nikolo727
09-13-2008, 08:24 AM

youve only been playing for a few weeks?:confused:

now im confused.

o and to solve your problem i think you should falcon punch her in the throat.

;) always works for me.

seeso
09-13-2008, 09:26 AM

now im confused.

Check out the date when he posted that. It was in April.

thesoobz
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
dude everyone should cover im yours.. AHAH
ey seeso can you cover im yours! please i wanna see it =)

deach
09-13-2008, 04:12 PM

now im confused.

o and to solve your problem i think you should falcon punch her in the throat.

;) always works for me.

I joke around A LOT but one thing I do not tolerate is violence towards women even in a joking manner. If you talked this way in front of my wife or any woman in my presence, I'd make sure you would understand the meaning of pain and respect.

nikolo727
09-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Check out the date when he posted that. It was in April.

whoop.......