Low G vs High G

bobbymcgee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Obviously new here. Just received a Lanikai LU-21T in the mail. Looks beautiful and can't wait to start playing. I'm done some research (but could obviously be wrong) and noted that for tenor, there is an option for low-g tuning. Now there are obviously four strings, but the 3rd string is thicker than the rest, I'm just confused if by low-g does that mean that the tuning should be C-G-E-A or should it still follow G-C-E-A? From the sound of various sites, I believe I got the E & A tuned, I just don't know what exactly to do with the 4th and 3rd string based on this low/high G theory.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, I don't really have a musical background and have searched the site and google relentlessly but couldn't find any clear cut answers except for the advantages and disadvantages of low-g vs high-g. Any help is appreciated from someone who is excited to get started!

There are NO stupid questions. Low or High, the uke is usually tuned GCEA, the only difference being the octave of the G string. Because the C string is the fattest, you can safely assume you have a high G (or what is called re-entrant) tuned uke. Most purists will tell you high G is the way to go, but I say you have to have one of each!

Hi and welcome.

Good that you have taken the trouble to search for info before posting. There should have been some info out there, too bad it didn't cross your path.
The GCEA tuning is the same for both high and low tunings, but for low tuning, your G-string is tuned to the G note below your C-string. In regular tuning, the G-string is the G note above your C-string ("re-entrant tuning"). You cannot just lower your G-string an octave though because string tension would be too low to play (try it). Get a low-G string or a whole new set of strings if you want to go that way.

For now, just enjoy and be sure to check out the search function for these forums if you have more questions, also there are a couple of stickies in the separate forum sections that may help you get going. Have fun!

edit: typed too much too slow and was left behind by the young, brief and informative crowd....

A high G and a low G are actually two different strings with the latter one being a bit thicker than the C string. A low G is tuned one octave below the high G - the 5th fret of the G will be the same as the C string.

Low-G and High-G both refer to variations on the regular "C" tuning.

In both cases, the strings are tuned GCEA, starting from the string closest to your head, and ending with the string closest to your feet. As Tiny Jim points out, the difference is the octave used for that top G string.

(Notes that are an octave apart get the same letter name.)

For low-G tuning, the G is the lowest note on the uke. It falls below the C, E, and A.

On a high-G tuning, which is the more common tuning, the G actually falls between the E and A strings in pitch. It's an octave higher than it would be in low-G tuning. So it's actually your C string that's the lowest note on the uke, and when you pluck your strings in one direction or the other, the notes will be "out of order".

(To further complicate matters, there's also a bartitone tuning and D tuning, both of which have completely different notes involved. I don't think you have to worry about that though.)

JJ

Typed even slower than UkeNinja...

Thanks a lot guys,

I did some more research and found a forum called ezfolk which ironically enough had a link to this site (one of the threads which discuss it which I unfortunately didn't come across). So I plan on using what you guys told me and getting started. Really excited. Thanks for all the quick replies too. Seems like a great forum!

A high G and a low G are actually two different strings with the latter one being a bit thicker than the C string. A low G is tuned one octave below the high G - the 5th fret of the G will be the same as the C string.

so because my 4th string is thinner than the 3rd that means I have a high G set of strings?

I think I almost got this thing tuned lol, a bit of a battle, but I'm sure it is worth it.

so because my 4th string is thinner than the 3rd that means I have a high G set of strings?

I think I almost got this thing tuned lol, a bit of a battle, but I'm sure it is worth it.
Yes, it sounds like you have high G on your uke. High G is the more traditional tuning and gives the uke its characteristic sound. :)

You might want to invest in an electronic tuner, it makes tuning a breeze. A lot of us like the clip-on tuner that the UU store sells.

http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/et-3000-clip-on-tuner

Yes, it sounds like you have high G on your uke. High G is the more traditional tuning and gives the uke its characteristic sound. :)

You might want to invest in an electronic tuner, it makes tuning a breeze. A lot of us like the clip-on tuner that the UU store sells.

http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/et-3000-clip-on-tuner

thanks a lot. I think I just got confused by the look at it with the different strings with the tenor vs other uke's ... i guess from the pictures. I pretty much got it in tune, starting playing a bit and it's somewhat recognizable!! haha ... thanks again.

Hey, that's real progress. Getting your uke in tune is a very, very necessary skill.

Then to play something recognizable, well, that's what we all hope for!

Keep Uke-in',

Top Bottom