Whole Room Humidifiers

rossjr

Reaction score
It's September and the air is starting to get drier here on the frozen tundra, I need to start humidifing or planning to, my two Ukulele's that sit out for display. Unfortunately I have a large room they will be sitting in. So any recommendations for Whole room humidifiers?

I found this one after doing some research last spring. Air-O-Swiss AOS-7144 Not cheap, but lots of nice features. I have been using a cheap, no name whole room unit for the last 10 winters and the whole house benefits. No static anywhere. Last year I ran mine from November to March. It's time to upgrade. I'm going to order this one next month.

http://www.amazon.com/Air-O-Swiss-7...UTF8&coliid=IJS6DSRVB1QYK&colid=2VZHK8ML1D4XP

Regards,
Ray

hmmm as for making sure your ukes are ok, you should mostly make sure to get the ukes as far away from the humidifier as possible. The humidifier would be more likely to do damage if they're close. Are your ukes laminates?

If you've got the $600-800 it costs to install a whole-house unit, it's well worth the investment. You don't have to keep it full, and you can keep your instruments anywhere you like.

--Mark

Get yourself a good room hygrometer/Thermometer. I've been using one like this for years.
http://www.amazon.com/Venta-6011036-Digital-Hygrometer
Thermometer/dp/B000X23KQG

It is recommended to keep the humidity from 45% to 55%. Citrus is right, you do not want to have instruments right near the humidifier. Just like you should not keep them anywhere near the heat vent or fire place or radiator. I have many solid wood and laminate instruments and keep them in their case most of the time. My good ukes and guitars have case humidifiers that I check and refill twice a month.

Regards,
Ray

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

The ukes I am trying to protect are both solid wood, one is a Mango and the other one is Koa. The Mango Tenor already had a superfical crack that the manufacturer fixed for me.

As for the if I am comfortable so are my Ukes, I am the wrong person to make that statement to, just ask my wife....

The issue here is that winters here in Minnesota are very dry and I know I could avoid most of this with case humidifiers, but then you have to remember to fill them, plus my wife loves to display them as we decorated our main level in a Hawaiian theme...

As for locating them near the humidifer, I was thinking near but not on or over the humidifier. I did use to take it into our master bath with us when we showered so it could get some moisture, but I was always concerned that would be too much...

Oh yeah, I already have a whole house humidifier but it still doesn't seem to be enough....

What kind of RH do you see in the winter, Ross? I had my house (in the mid-Atlantic) get down as far as 20% (pre-uke) when my old whole-house unit quit.

--Mark

What kind of RH do you see in the winter, Ross? I had my house (in the mid-Atlantic) get down as far as 20% (pre-uke) when my old whole-house unit quit.

--Mark

That sounds about right but I need to get a humidistat so that I know for certain. I would have done that last year but didn't know about them until late April, too late for a reading...

Top Bottom