recording programs and other stuff

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys, well im starting to really get into playing and now am begining to start record and messing around with things like that, no plans for a home recording studio, just a mic, my uke and when money comes around will also invest in a kala ubass. Anyway my main question is recording software. Im just wondering what you guys use, i have the full versions of sony acid pro 7 and sony sound forge pro 9... they seem like great softwares, ive never used anything like this so afterdownloading the manuals im slowly working my way through, what kind of software do you guys use, i know the mac people have garageband, and what kind of setup do use have, im investing in a mic soon, and software and gear wise thats proberly gonna do me, what you's reckon

g'day guys, well im starting to really get into playing and now am begining to start record and messing around with things like that, no plans for a home recording studio, just a mic, my uke and when money comes around will also invest in a kala ubass. Anyway my main question is recording software. Im just wondering what you guys use, i have the full versions of sony acid pro 7 and sony sound forge pro 9... they seem like great softwares, ive never used anything like this so afterdownloading the manuals im slowly working my way through, what kind of software do you guys use, i know the mac people have garageband, and what kind of setup do use have, im investing in a mic soon, and software and gear wise thats proberly gonna do me, what you's reckon

Keithy, I also have sound forge and think it will work nicely to record your music. I love the editing features that it has. Spend a little money on the mic, but.......... I, myself, now hesitate getting too hung up on the tech end of recording. I see far too many uke videos where there is an expensive mic showing in the vid that does nothing to "help" out the players performance. Sadly, time and $$ has taught me that a Visa card can buy you whatever equipment you need, but no matter how clear and tonal the video is, you just can't polish that turd if the talent isn't there.

In the end, the key to a great recording is in the execution of the song, not in the equipment used to record it.
Perhaps this is why I had no videos of my uke playing floating around the web. Still working on the right hand strumming patterns...

Just my 2 cents worth....e.lo...

mate, there some aswome words there and agree 100% espically seeing some people have $1000's of gear and well, yeh not thhhaatt great, the mic im just going to be getting something basic first off, see some ok looking ones on ebay for about $100 that come with the screen and stuff so thats where i will start, if i really get into it, i will upgrade later, and if i dont, well i havnt spent an arm and a leg.

mate, there some aswome words there and agree 100% espically seeing some people have $1000's of gear and well, yeh not thhhaatt great, the mic im just going to be getting something basic first off, see some ok looking ones on ebay for about $100 that come with the screen and stuff so thats where i will start, if i really get into it, i will upgrade later, and if i dont, well i havnt spent an arm and a leg.

Hey, I just saved you a thousand dollars then! Thanks for considering my past mistakes in this area. Sounds like you got your head on straight and will make the right purchases in the future...e.lo.

You can try using this. That was the old program I used. I got a new webcam and software for my birthday so I use that.

I've been using audacity to cut tracks from my zoom recorder and EQ, normize and add some reverb, then I burn to a CD or put on my MP3 player. Are any of you folks out there ex audacity users that have swithed to one of these free products and why. I am always looking for something better.

Ardour
Audacity
Audiobook Cutter Free Edition
Ecasound
Freecycle
Jokosher
LMMS
Mp3splt
MusE
Qtractor
ReZound
RiffWorks T4
Rosegarden
SoX
Sweep
Wave Editor
WaveSurfer
Wavosaur

They programmes are I believe, all wave editors.

Sound forge is great for wave editing though I don't think it's free.
Sometimes you can download free copies of older versions.

I think Audacity grew in popularity because it let you record from the internet?

You really need multi-track software for music recording...so that you can record say, uke on one track, vocals on the other and drums or bass on the others and then mix them all to the levels you want.

Sound recording is as much an art as playing an instrument....and using PC (or MAC) software is another whole art...you could easily do a 3yr degree course on most of the popular pieces of software....and still know less that 1/2 of what these things are capable of!

It can be real fun when you're getting into it....whole days can just slip past as you try and record one song!

A good mic' is very important if you want pro' level stuff...you can kinda "fix it in the mix"....but it's much better to record it properly in the first place.

My opinion is to record everything simply...if the songs or your playing are good enough then someone else will pay for pro's to record it....no matter how good you think your home recorded stuff is, 90% of record co's will get you to re-record it their way...which can be really frustrating if you just put months into recording a song the way you like.

It took me 3 months to record 15 songs for an album, working pretty full out..

Then there is MIXING every track....taking out any wee imperfections and getting the volumes right...

Then there is MASTERING which is basically trying to get 15 songs to play back at the same volume and to sound like an album.

Phew...I still say it's just best to hit "Rccord" on sound recorder on the laptop and shout into the mic for 3 min!
:)

*Now...I'm not sure if YOUTUBE has compressed the hell out of these and this is a worthless post*

Recorded using silly we mic built into laptop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLldkLTALGs

Recorded using little SONY dictaphone mic':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVgR-6YGRp4

Recorded using mid range AVG mic's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkUjkoAIIg

Recorded "properly" in a studio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLldkLTALGs

Can you hear the differences?

Sorry if you just sat through 10 min of my terrible vocals!

jimmy
x

Top Bottom