What Tenor Uke should I start looking for ?

ed531

Reaction score
Ukelele001.jpg

So I have a Kanilea Tenor, a Pono Tenor and a Kamaka Concert (as you've all seen before). I'm thinking about getting another 4 string Tenor tuned to a high G. I've been searching the web and everytime I see something interesting I think, "..well, I already have a koa body uke or I already have a uke with the fancy inlays."

The way I've been playing, I definitely would like to stick to a 4 string Tenor with a high G. So what do you think ? Mango, Mahogany, Martin, Collings, Koaloha Sceptre ??

Definitely looks like it's time for a Koaloha.

Ukelele001.jpg

So I have a Kanilea Tenor, a Pono Tenor and a Kamaka Concert (as you've all seen before). I'm thinking about getting another 4 string Tenor tuned to a high G. I've been searching the web and everytime I see something interesting I think, "..well, I already have a koa body uke or I already have a uke with the fancy inlays."

The way I've been playing, I definitely would like to stick to a 4 string Tenor with a high G. So what do you think ? Mango, Mahogany, Martin, Collings, Koaloha Sceptre ??

Moore Bettah has to be your next step. I've played a Collings uke before, it sounded good and was obviously well built but it lacked that certain something. Chuck built a really cool mango uke - I'm a die-hard koa fan personally but if you want something different I'd talk to him.

I'll second that emotion by wfwhitson !

No matter what brand it is, I think it should be a 6 0r 8 string.

I do appreciate the suggestion for a 6 or 8 string uke. But at this point of my UAS, I'm focusing my search on a 4 string.

Man, the Post Office just isn't paying me enough! Hats off to you guys who can afford the top shelf! :bowdown:

For now I'll just enjoy looking at yours.... ;)

I would like to keep the price range around the same as what I've paid for my other ukes (bet 700 and 1200).

My current collections now are all tuned to high G.

And.. It's going to be a while before I purchase the next one. I do have to raise the $$$ first. But looking for a uke is 1/2 of the fun.

a koaloha sceptre all the way i would be going for

Man, the Post Office just isn't paying me enough! Hats off to you guys who can afford the top shelf! :bowdown:

For now I'll just enjoy looking at yours.... ;)

It must be rough having a gov't job:music::rock:

With your current collection it looks like you can get whatever you want! :nana:

KoAloha would by my choice. A Kamaka tenor would also be sweet.

It must be rough having a gov't job:music::rock:

And getting rougher every day! Anyone with any doubts is welcome to follow me around my route one day...12 miles on foot, including almost 500 stairs, in every kind of weather. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not getting any younger....

I'm thinking about perhaps looking for different woods. Anyone have experiences with any crazy woods out there other than koa, mahogany, rosewood or spruce ?

That Moore Bettah Mango looks pretty cool... hear that Pono Mango is mellow does that also apply to all Mango Ukes.

Hinoki...

sound...

http://www.box.net/shared/ua8z7tiogn

I think Port Orford Cedar is probably similar in Sound Qualities.

I think it has a good sound when picked.

This sound sample has acacia confusa back and sides, for reference.

Take care, and happy hunting
Thomas

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom