How can I convert Guitar chords in uke chords?

How can I do it?

From what I gather at chordie.com, you don't have to, but not all of them are available on the uke. A simple song like this (Blind Melon's No Rain) shows no change in chords when transposed for a C tuned uke (on the right of the screen you can choose just that, and watch the finger patterns change, but the chords remain the same).

On this, more complex version of the same song, you'll note that the Uke finger patterns for G and G5 are identical, nor does my Hal Leonard Ukulele Chord finder book show a G5. So, and I'm guessing here, there isn't one.

The short answer to your question is, just use a chord finder book, or one of these two online images, to figure out your finger patterns.

I hope my ramblings helped, or were even anywhere near what you were asking...! :(

...And a c chord is a c chord. ..em is an em...

If you know chord shapes on the guitar; then the same fingerings for the 4 high strings of the guitar will also be chords on the uke but 5 frets higher. For example a G shaped guitar chord, if you look at only the 4 high strings would be just one finger on the third fret of the highest string. If you make this chord on a ukulele in standard GCEA tuning then it is a C chord. It works like a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret.

What do you mean? I mean guitar chords and uke chords are the same.... You look up chords for a song its the same for both...

Yes a C chord is a C chord no matter what instrument it is played on. Maybe I misunderstood the original question. I thought they wanted to figure out if the same chord SHAPE was played on a guitar and a ukulele what the relationship is. I thought that was what they meant by converting chords, if not sory for the confusion.:confused:

On this, more complex version of the same song, you'll note that the Uke finger patterns for G and G5 are identical, nor does my Hal Leonard Ukulele Chord finder book show a G5. So, and I'm guessing here, there isn't one.

Unless I'm completely misremembering, G5 (or any x5 chord) is a "power chord" with the listed note as the root and then only having the 5th. Handy chords since they will "fit" with major, minor, or suspended chords. Usually on a guitar they tend to be played (and take this with a grain or three of salt, I'm not a guitar player) on the lower strings.

But, musically, a G5 is a G and a D. On a low-G tuning, this would be 02xx; in high G that's an inversion, something like x23x would be more correct(ish)

If you know chord shapes on the guitar; then the same fingerings for the 4 high strings of the guitar will also be chords on the uke but 5 frets higher. For example a G shaped guitar chord, if you look at only the 4 high strings would be just one finger on the third fret of the highest string. If you make this chord on a ukulele in standard GCEA tuning then it is a C chord. It works like a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret.

I found this info to be very helpful. Thank you.

Top Bottom