useless strum pattern observation

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm practicing Seeso's strum patterns. Do you know how boring strum patterns are? Yes, I suppose you do. But this is no time to cut corners--you've got to wax on, Daniel-san!

Ok...I need coffee...
Have a fine morning, everyone.

I'm so bad with timing and strum patterns. I'll always find a song, be able to play all the chords but can't do a strum pattern for the life of me. Even when listening to uke covers I still can't determine strum patterns. I'm always stuck either doing D,DUUDU which I always use on guitar, or just stuck putting a reggae strum where I mute every other beat. Only strum patterns I'm actually able to do are in the UU vids where they break it down legit for retards like me, so those are the only songs I'm actually able to play.

Last edited:
I'm so bad with timing and strum patterns. I'll always find a song, be able to play all the chords but can't do a strum pattern for the life of me. Even when listening to uke covers I still can't determine strum patterns. I'm always stuck either doing D,DUUD which I always use on guitar, or just stuck putting a reggae strum where I mute every other beat. Only strum patterns I'm actually able to do are in the UU vids where they break it down legit for retards like me, so those are the only songs I'm actually able to play.

That describes me to a T. I've only been at it three months, so I'm hoping I can pick up on it yet. Took my first lesson at Elderly Instruments on Thursday night from Neil Woodward. Hopefully he's got the fix.

I don't think about strum patterns, maybe I should check out some lessons on them. I just think of the song if I am doing a cover or do what feels good if it is something I am making up. I know my sense of time is a weak point, when I started off playing guitar at 14 I wanted to play Jimmy Page solos but did not bother to learn about keeping time. If I think about the beat or play with a click track I mess up all the time. If I just wing it sometimes it is OK and sometimes it is way off.:confused:

I've been teased about my strum pattern (singular). It must be synaptic or something, but I'm so much more interested in the chord changes and lyrics that I rely on my main strum and let the creativity flow elsewhere. I'm writing my own songs, so in that sense I'm a free agent and can do what I like. Strums seem to take too much bandwidth. (OK, maybe I change things up a bit, but I do have a primary/fallback strum.)

you just gotta learn 1 good DDUUDUD...and try to mix it up a bit here and there with pauses and chunks. You gotta learn to feeeeeeeeeeeeeel it, let that rhythm get ya!:music::nana:

i gotta agree. i was never good at strum patterns until i learned "something", from dominators tab. i watched his vid on it where he explained how he kinda strums along with the lyrics etc etc. after that they come (relatively) easy now.

Top Bottom