Lanikai Spalted Mango Concert

WS64

Reaction score
I got a new ukulele, the Lanikai spalted Mango Concert (SMC):
2j61ysi.jpg

It is easily the most beautiful ukulele I ever had, it makes my Kala Curly Mango Tenor almost look ugly!

It is easily playable, the finish is fine (but not perfect).

The only real disadvantage I can find is... the sound.
It is thin and quiet. Not that bad, but not in the same league as e.g. my Excelsius or the Kala Curly Mango.

I bought it used (just a few weeks old), it came with Aquilas and a low-G guitar string (I think), all new, but neither Aquila nor Low-G are meant for me, so I gave the strings to my cats to play and put Worth on the uke.

Here's a little audio (and video) example:

The Long and Winding Road

Beautiful uke and beautiful playing.

If the "number" signifies what I think it does, I'm of a similar "vintage".

I'll feel more comfortable sharing the songs I love (30's, 40's and 50's) knowing there are a few of "us" out there who might actually recognize the songs!

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful uke and music.

It doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd probably have to hear a side-by-side for comparison. Love your rendition of the the song. Would you have tabs available? Spector did more than ruin the song for those who don't know his story...

Uncle Rod, yep, vintage (not age). And I also have many songs from the 1930s-40 (not so many from the 1950s) online.

Ronnie, neither for this one nor for any of the 250+ other videos on YT I have any tabs, sorry.

thanks

Beautiful ukulele, and as always, played beautifully. I love the look of mango. I have the Kala Mango, and have been tempted by the Lanikai and Pono mangos. I have a Mainland Mango on order though. It will be my first concert sized uke.

I feel like the mango ukulele in tenor size as a more guitar-like tone. But, that is the only tenor I have at the moment. How does it compare with your other tenors?

BTW, love the "vintage" classics from all time periods. If it's a good song, it will shine for hundreds of years.

–Lori

Call me superficial but to me the wood patterns on a uke are almost as important as the sound it can make ... and wow that spalted mango is suhhweeeeet!

I bought the same uke from Guitar Center a few months ago. Mine actually had worse problems (like buzzing and a small defect in the wood). I returned it, and tried to find a replacement with no defects, but GC couldn't! Unfortunately, I needed to say goodbye to it for good.

I really wanted to keep it because of the beauty of the wood. The sound didn't bother me as much (I actually like the mellow sound). If yours doesn't have the defects I experienced, I'd say you are fortunate.

Hope you enjoy it!

That was a beautiful rendition of "The Long and Winding Road." I like the mellow tone of the mango.

Here's another video with the Lanikai that shows the beauty of this instrument way better than the first video:

World Without Love

I tried one at GC the other day also and was very impressed. Beautiful to look at, nice action and easy to play. Sound was a little thin and quiet which may not be fair since I was competing with all the Saturday acoustic guitar strummers there. The only thing that scared me away was the $399 price tag.

Very beautiful uke you've got there. I am a big fan of yours after watching your rendition of "Hotel California." It was flawless just like your other songs. Keep up the great work and keep them videos coming :shaka:

Top Bottom