Is there any song that *can't* be covered on the uke?

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think there is. Discuss.

:D

JJ

dragonforce. i think that's it.

that's okay, though, because nobody likes dragonforce.

Last edited:
there's a difference between cannot and should not.

there's a difference between cannot and should not.

indeed. i learned that the hard way when i got a harsh response for my cover of 'wait (the whisper song)' as performed by the ying yang twins. little too explicit.

It kind of depends.
I've found while picking out stuff for our Orchestra to do that not everything works. Some guitar riffs don't translate very well to four strings. Another thing I've also found is that songs that are a bit more bass-centric, where a large chunk of the hook is in the bassline don't work too well either.

Essentially though, any song that can be distilled into a voice and an instrument works.

Due to the limited range (I have never tried a low G, that would be too much like a guitar with a capo for me) there are a LOT of things you cannot play the same as the original. However I think with a bit of creative re-thinking you could do a version of just about anything. It is the limitations that make you be more creative, that is part of the fun of the uke! I have played guitar for a LOT longer and still play guitar but rethinking parts for 4 strings and less range is a challenge that makes you learn as you go.

Kung Fu Fighting. My kids have been asking me to learn it, but I am convinced it can't be done on the uke (keep in mind that I am very new to playing, so that could actually be the problem).

Wish someone could prove me wrong. My kids would thank you!

Another thing I've also found is that songs that are a bit more bass-centric, where a large chunk of the hook is in the bassline don't work too well either.

I agree. I've been trying to figure out how to play "Everlong" by the foo fighters on the uke. Unless someone knows how to, I found it's impossible to imitate the bass note they use. It doesn't help that they drop down their base note to play it on the guitar.

I feel your pain.
I've had a few things brought up for the Orchestra that I just couldn't find a work around for because while the chords were easy enough, the bass had the hook and it just wouldn't work without it.

Lol... Don't worry Deach I still remember the video. :D

I've actually played it the way you did. For a couple of weeks I had my Fluke tuned down so that I can play your version just on that uke. I was kinda commenting on a Uke tuned GCEA.

By the way, still honored to have a video where you say my Nickname!!!:p

I think you can cover basically anything you want on uke. But sometimes it just takes a bit more effort, especially when you're looking at guitar tabs, and you want it to sound just like the original. For example, Extreme's More Than Words. Yes, you can play it on uke, and Aldrine does, but you just can't get that same steel string guitar vibe. And that's when I need to bring out one of the six string juggernauts.

anything in drop D

if anyone can do my own prison by creed i would be mightly stoked.

Cliff

I would say most music sounds good on a uke, and some even better than with a guitar, but there are some that just don't fit as well.
Like I think more subdued/sad songs tend to be a bit, well, odd. Ukuleles tend to have a bright, happy sound so it may not fit so well. That said, it could work, I'm still a noob at this. :D

Top Bottom