100 subscribers!

SamWise

Reaction score
Sorry for the non-uke content, but I've been saving this little video for the moment I got my 100th subscriber, and the moment has arrived! It took me a couple of attempts to get a take of this song, because when I did the first, I cocked up in the middle, stopped, and just as I was about to try again, my wife called me upstairs, and I left the camera running. I came down, realized, stopped it, and did another take. Somhow, however, I deleted the wrong one, and having already sent the (wonderful) mandolin back to the magazine, I discovered I only had the video in which I run away in the middle. So, I decided to see what I could do, and to my surprise, the song and the video synch really well, even the intro! It all looks very convincing up to the point where I look annoyed and stop playing, and then run away, but the song continues. I thought it was such a special moment that I saved it for this!

The mandolin, by the way, is an Eastman DGM1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHvwl9WdS7I

Haha! Awesome vid, and congrats on 100!

Congrats. It sounds great! Just curious - is playing the mandolin similar to playing the uke? Are the chords the same?

Congrats. It sounds great! Just curious - is playing the mandolin similar to playing the uke? Are the chords the same?

The two are fairly different in that the mandolin is tuned in fifths; from low to high GDAE.

Playing mandolin is really different. No chords in common, 7 frets between strings rather than 5, pairs of steel strings are much harder to press than single nylons. It's good fun, but very different. Plus you have to leave in the middle of videos.

Playing mandolin is really different. No chords in common, 7 frets between strings rather than 5, pairs of steel strings are much harder to press than single nylons. It's good fun, but very different. Plus you have to leave in the middle of videos.

Sound like hard work to me, but I think I could get the hang of it, I've been a Guitar player for 25 years so chords are chords. As for wanting one, I want loads of things but being a married man I'm kept in check by her that must be obeyed. But one day I'll have to get one. I love playing stringed instruments and when I see something I can play from my wheelchair my ear prick up.

Sound like hard work to me, but I think I could get the hang of it, I've been a Guitar player for 25 years so chords are chords. As for wanting one, I want loads of things but being a married man I'm kept in check by her that must be obeyed. But one day I'll have to get one. I love playing stringed instruments and when I see something I can play from my wheelchair my ear prick up.

Oh, it's totally doable, I just wouldn't want anyone to anticipate that it's just like uke, or even as transferable as guitar and uke are. It's got as much in common with violin (same tuning) as with guitar or uke.

Top Bottom