Bushman OR Mainland - please help

SeePM

Reaction score
I am ready to updgrade to a solid wood uke. Interested in everyone's feedback between Bushaman Concert Jenny Mahagony or Mainland Concert Mahogony. They appear very similar in design, specs, and I assume overall quality / tone. Mainland seems to be slightly cheaper.

Not sure if either has an edge or not. Is it just personal preference a la coke vs pepsi (I am a coke classic man by the way) or are there some details I should consider before making a purchase? You tube seems to have solid fans of both.

I hope to have one in my hands soon and appreciante any insight from folks who have had experiences with both ukes / companies. Thanks!

from what I know, the big difference physically is the rope binding on the mainlands. As far as customer service goes, Mike from mainland is an active member here who has a great amount of respect on the board. A lot of people seem to recommend mainland on that alone. He takes care of his customers.

How do you feel about "rope" binding? Mainland has it. Bushman doesn't.

JJ

On reputation alone I would go with Mainland. I LOVE MY cedar pineapple! :shaka:

i believe mike use to work for bushman?
for all i know i might be making that up.

i have a mainland and do enjoy it a lot. after i bought my mainland i got major UAS. i bought a flea because i couldn't help myself, but i ended up liking my mainland more. not saying mainland > flea ... but that was my preference.

call up mike and just ask him questions. he's really nice over the phone and goes out of his way to give you the best uke.

and how can you say NO to rope binding...............mmm rope binding!

my mainland is a soprano mahogany. very nice. mike installed a MiSi for me as well. I love it i love it i love it.

and you should buy the slotted head mainland and post pics! =P

I'll admit that I wasn't all that big on rope binding. Then my Mainland arrived and in about 5 minutes, rope binding was the sexiest thing going.

I don't think you could ever go wrong with Mainland. I'm going to buy at least one more any minute now; I'm just waiting to see what else Mike is up to. ;):rolleyes:

don't put down Bushman

All I hear is that Mainland is good and I'm sure it is but don't knock Bushman.

They're great too. I always get compliments for the sound of mine and I know some pretty fine players who play Bushmans.

I couldn't be happier with my Mainland Concert and the service Mike gives is great.

ukes

go with mainland...

With the recent complaints voiced here about Bushman, I would favor the Mainland. Mike has kept a lot of people happy.

Mainlands and Bushmans are both good ukes made in the same factory, so the only real differences would be:
  • set-up
  • price
  • customer service
I can highly recommend Mainland for all three.

I cannot stress enough that photographs do not do the beauty of Mainland's rope binding justice. As cool as it looks in the photos, it is so much more beautiful and elegant in person.

I cannot stress enough that photographs do not do the beauty of Mainland's rope binding justice. As cool as it looks in the photos, it is so much more beautiful and elegant in person.

I second that, my Tenor looks soo so sexy hanging on my wall, and it sounds great too.

Mainland. Mike provided a great instrument with great service to me. Can't recommend him highly enough.

I've played another user's Bushman uke, but don't own one. It was okay, but I think my mainland sounds better.

I had a very bad experience trying to buy Bushman harmonicas a couple of years ago, and it soured me on ever wanting to do business with that company again.​

Top Bottom