FS: Vintage Kay soprano with white fretboard

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
SOLD!

I bought a new uke and now must pay for it (Oh, UAS, you are a harsh mistress!)

3887317587_70a9161642_b.jpg

This is a Kay soprano from the 1950's or 1960's. In very good condition, with the stenciled headstock logo in great shape. Like the modern Fleas and Flukes, the Kay's plastic fretboard has a "zero" fret, so it's spot - on with pitch.

I used to get this one out to play, but I ended up just looking at it most times. Very cool. But I did some videos with it, the second one here is a strings comparison.

Video 1
Video 2

$60 plus actual shipping. In the continental US, shipping would be less than $15.
More photos:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

PM me if you're interested! Mahalo!

Last edited:
gah if i had the money :( i want a plasticish ukulele (flea, tv pal that kay).
just bought a kala and booked a holiday otherwise I'd snap it up.

They are very cool looking. I had one, but gave it away. I just bought a Harmony ($20) with a plastic fretboard, and it sounds even better than my old Kay. The laminate (for some reason I want to say plywood when it comes to some of these heavy old ukes) is thinner.

Warning: I learned the hard way on these plastic-fretboard ukes to not tighten the fretboard screws too tight. It'll crack the fretboard!

This was sold. Thanks for looking - more ukes to come. Mods, you can lock this thread, if desired.

Someone (I forget who) recently wanted a lignum vitae fretboard. Here, we have the solution to the problem of installing it: screws instead of glue.

Top Bottom