Geared tuner sound!!!

ukeskywalker79

Reaction score
Hello all I just have a quick question regarding one of my opened geared tuners. On the "E string" tuner as I turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn I'll hear this small noise. It's kind of hard to explain and I wish I could record it. All the other tuners do not make this noise. The uke is brand new and my other uke with geared tuners doesn't make this noise. I'd like to note that it has about 2 year old strings on the uke. To make a long story short its a discontinued model that was never bought until now.

Also is it common for some tuners to feel a bit tighter to turn than others?

Sorry for the noob questions. I tried searching and couldn't find any answers.

Is it kind of a "creaking" sound? Could be a little binding. You said they were open gear tuners, right? There should be a screw in the back of the gear that holds it to the post...make sure that is tight (but not too tight). If that doesen't do it, then I would recommend that you take it apart and clean it. Use a little white grease (like for fishing reels) on the post (that goes inside the headstock) and on the gear teeth.

Nope.

If a string is binding, it's too big for the slot in the nut. Filing or sanding some of the material out is a quick job.

--Mark

Nope.

If a string is binding, it's too big for the slot in the nut. Filing or sanding some of the material out is a quick job.

--Mark

GO SLOW. Take your time filing out the nut groove. If you take out too much you will affect the action and could end up worse than started with.

[...] Also is it common for some tuners to feel a bit tighter to turn than others?[...]

Yes it is, even on good quality tuners. They shouldn't grate or grind, but a difference in tightness is common. A few contributing factors:
  • Differences in manufacturing tolerances
  • Differences in the load on the tuner from string tension
  • Differences in lubrication
  • Differences in tightness of the centre gear screw
The screw in the middle of the little cog does not need to be very tight.

I refurbished an old set of mandolin tuners a while ago and they ended up being the smoothest I've had. However, one was really, really loose feeling. It holds tuning perfectly, but is so easy to turn that I have to be extra careful not to knock it out of tune. I don't want to overtighten the screw, so I just live with it.

Top Bottom