Humidifiers - How often? How important?

chrisg14mac

Reaction score
I just bought a new Kanile'a tenor ukulele (it arrives in a few weeks). I can't wait! It's my first high end uke!

What's the deal with using a humidifier? Some people say I am crazy if I don't keep the uke in the case (when I am not using it) with a humidifier in there. I would actually be a bit bummed if I could not hang this instrument on the wall (since it's so beautiful). I know you can buy special uke humidifiers that cover the sound hole that don't have to go in the case, but again, how important is this?

Just wondering if this is a "good thing to do" versus something that "must get done otherwise I will destroy my uke".

Any thoughts? What do you guys do to yours?

First the case issue...the case is the best place for a good Uke. Not just because of the humidity issue, but because it is the safest place for it. I'd rather give up the ability to see the instrument as part of my wall decor, in order to make sure it isn't getting bumped or scratched unnecessarily. (Instead, take a great photo of the uke, have it blown up to full size, frame and hang that!)

With regards to humidity...it is important to keep it roughly between 45 to 55 percent humidity. (Otherwise, too dry and it can crack. Too wet and glued pieces can come apart.) If the room enviroment isn't at this range and can't easily be made to be in this range, then I'd definitely keep it in the case and use both a good case hunidier as well as a gauge so when you open the case, you can see how things are..

Humidifiers

First the case issue...the case is the best place for a good Uke. Not just because of the humidity issue, but because it is the safest place for it. I'd rather give up the ability to see the instrument as part of my wall decor, in order to make sure it isn't getting bumped or scratched unnecessarily. (Instead, take a great photo of the uke, have it blown up to full size, frame and hang that!)

Can't agree more - the best place for a good instrument is in your hand or in its case. The case not only keeps it from falling, being sat upon, spilled on, collecting dust, becoming the dog's chew toy (or that of a toddler who happened to see a Who Concert video...) it also buffers the rapid changes in temperature and humidity that come along - from a car in the north to a room with a wood stove, heat/air conditioning turning on, etc.

Uillean Pipes are worse, 7 reeds and depending on ambient air, and you have to make them yourself, having them go south when the air conditioning turns on, or on a dry day. Pipers don't like to pull the pipes out unless the humidity is at least 65%. I have had my chanter start losing notes - (the bottom 3) in winter with the wood stove going....

keep in mind your ukulele was probably built with seasoned wood, but how long it was seasoned may affect how it will behave in extreme dryness. Again the pipemakers often cut the blanks for pipes and chanters, let them sit a year, make another pass, let them sit a year, make the first bore cut, let the sit a year, etc. It is why a good set will set you back the better part of $6k. you will be chancing a crack, a lost joint or checking if you expose the ukulele to desert-dry air, especially if it came from a place with humidity like the Islands. Hang up a nice portrait of your ukulele.....

Pete, I love your idea of hanging up a picture of your uke. Brilliant!
Chris. Unless your uke is made of plywood, (which it isn't) it needs to be humidified. Great comments in the previous posts.
Keith, your link is finally up on my site. http://moorebettahukes.com/untitled1.html
Happy Labor Day. I'm laboring away!

Last edited:
I just bought a new Kanile'a tenor ukulele (it arrives in a few weeks). I can't wait! It's my first high end uke!

What's the deal with using a humidifier? Some people say I am crazy if I don't keep the uke in the case (when I am not using it) with a humidifier in there. I would actually be a bit bummed if I could not hang this instrument on the wall (since it's so beautiful). I know you can buy special uke humidifiers that cover the sound hole that don't have to go in the case, but again, how important is this?

Just wondering if this is a "good thing to do" versus something that "must get done otherwise I will destroy my uke".

Any thoughts? What do you guys do to yours?

Hey I have a Kamaka tenor and I keep it in a humidity controlled hard case. I keep the humidity between 45-55% using two humidifiers (to increase/maintain) and silica gel to reduce it.

Personally I'd rather keep my uke in the case and not see it when I'm not playing and know it's going to last for a long time as opposed to keeping it on show and getting a big crack in it.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom