Low G or not low G?

A g is still a g whether it is low or high so you don't need to learn any new chord shapes.

When it comes to strings you will find a thousand different opinions on here... I personally like Aquilaa though. I wanna try Kala Reds though because they seem ...interesting.

I've tried a couple of Wounded G strings and didnt like it so much. I took them off with in a few days just because IMO it over powered all the other strings. Someone here recommended trying the nylon low G so I bought some clear Worths and so far so good. Its really growing on me.

The Low G is not for everybody. But try it and see if you do :shaka:

Though the chord patterns are the same, if you're doing lots of pickin and melody work you may find yourself needing to change pickin style or the pattern you're pickin. And/or find that a certain chord needs to be played somewhere else on the neck.

I have Worth clear low G on one of my ukes and it sounds really good. Nice and balanced.

true, chord shapes don't have to change, but with the high G some chords have two strings in unison. Am is one example. With the low G, you'll get a nicer chord with those notes an octave apart.

that said, I removed the low g's I was using. I just decided the uke is not a low note kind of instrument. I have guitars for that. I like the "ride cymbal" feel of a strumming uke with the high G, it just moves right along.

The nice thing about low G is that you get more notes. I found those extra notes pretty handy for a lot of melodies.

–Lori

are the factory set FLOUROCARBON strings you get on your koaloha keepers or is it worth changing them?

I like what some people do with low G tuning and it does give more range but I do not think I would ever try it myself. I like having the top and bottom string only a note apart, it just seems more of a traditional ukulele sound. Having a low G would be just like a short scale 4 string guitar to me, I like the high G because it is different form the guitar!

A g is still a g whether it is low or high so you don't need to learn any new chord shapes.

When it comes to strings you will find a thousand different opinions on here... I personally like Aquilaa though. I wanna try Kala Reds though because they seem ...interesting.

I prefer the kala reds over aquilas even though they have a tendancy to unwind.

Top Bottom