Bruko action adjustment?

ukerazy

Reaction score
I got a used Bruko some weeks back and the action is quite high in comparison to my other ukes, I know how to adjust the action on a standard bridge and saddle (not that i would try that anyway lol) but what do you do when it's a one piece bridge?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

I have the same uke (Burko no. 6). I've wondered about this too, but in a slightly different way. My open C string is buzzing since I changed to aquilas. I'm hoping it's the string, but I can see that there is a tiny bit of wear on the wooden saddle where the C string sits, which could also be the cause of the buzz.

As for lowering the action though - you're a much more experienced player and owner of ukes than me, and the Bruko is the only decent uke that I've tried, but I think fingerpicking is difficult enough on it already - I'd hesitate to lower it any further. I do struggle with barring the E and A string on the b-flat chord though - I'm getting a lot of buzz on the E string at the first fret.

Same buzz, same string... same Aquilas!! Thats really strange isn't it? I've noticed that little bit of wear too under the c string too! The action is much too high on mine i hope someone can recommend a solution for it. I have only been playing since march so not that experienced im just very passionate about ukuleles!

B.U.M.P - Anyone have any idea how to adjust action on the Bruko's? I know quite a few people here have them...

B.U.M.P - Anyone have any idea how to adjust action on the Bruko's? I know quite a few people here have them...

I think there is only one possible solution, and it is quite brütal (see attached image).

Should your nerve fail you, and it would me, I'd get in touch with Brüko, and ask if they'd do it for me.

What's the problem, though? My Brüko has a high-ish action, but intonation is spot on, and sometimes I can't even feel the strings beneath my fingers -- i.e. it's not a problem for me.

ETA: I suppose you could remove the bridge and sand off the bottom before reattaching it, but that is also a brütal solution.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 41
I think there is only one possible solution, and it is quite brütal (see attached image).

Should your nerve fail you, and it would me, I'd get in touch with Brüko, and ask if they'd do it for me.

What's the problem, though? My Brüko has a high-ish action, but intonation is spot on, and sometimes I can't even feel the strings beneath my fingers -- i.e. it's not a problem for me.

ETA: I suppose you could remove the bridge and sand off the bottom before reattaching it, but that is also a brütal solution.

LOL that was a funny reply! The intonation seems to be slightly off, very very slightly but that could just be the different sound you get from the Brueko. The action is a good half cm when fretted at the third fret. I have sent Brueko an E-mail today so hopefully i will hear something back. I wondered whether a very slight sanding over the bridge would do the trick but then i worry if i could get it even?

Thanks for your help, put the file away though! lol

The action is a good half cm when fretted at the third fret.

Where are you measuring? I have just taken a micrometer to mine (the files are safely locked away), and open, the action is 2mm at the 3rd fret, and 4mm at the 12th. Fretting the 3rd fret drops the action at the 12th to 3.5mm.

I wonder if perhaps you got a Friday afternoon uke, in which case Brüko should do something to help.

Fretted at the 3rd fret measures 4.5mm at the 12th fret. Is this something i just try to fix or is it not as extreme as my mind tells me? lol

Fretted at the 3rd fret measures 4.5mm at the 12th fret. Is this something i just try to fix or is it not as extreme as my mind tells me? lol

If you're measuring at the bottom of the string, the difference between mine and yours is about 33%. That's quite a bit, IMHO. I think I'd want it fixed. Wait to see what Brüko says before getting the bastard (file) out.

If you're measuring at the bottom of the string, the difference between mine and yours is about 33%. That's quite a bit, IMHO. I think I'd want it fixed. Wait to see what Brüko says before getting the bastard (file) out.

LOL okay thanks for your help Skrik, ill let you know what Brueko say when then get back to me...

Dear Melissa,
thanks for your email.
As we do not know the age and the status of your instruments we can't give a definite answer.
We suggest to lower the one piece brige carefully at the point where the strings touch it with a thin file.
Hope this helps you.
Kind regards,
Hubert Pfeiffer

LOL Skrik, looks like the file wasn't a bad idea!

Melissa, if the action is that high at the 12th then you should be safe lowering the saddle slots so long as you go slowly, as you have a fair bit of adjustment room (so long as the uke's neck is straight and correctly angled).

Just to check - your measurement is taken from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret, not to the fretboard?

And I'm assuming you've set the action at the nut? If the bridge is a one piece and the action at the nut hasn't been checked/set I'd do that first as it is relatively easy to change a nut if you make an error!

If you do file the bridge slots, it would probably be best to settle for something like a medium action. If you aim too low then you run the risk of going a tad too far. That said, if you did cut a slot too deep it's not the end of the world. there is a superglue and bone-powder bodge for nut slots that have gone too low. It should be possible to contrive a similar emergency measure for a wooden saddle slot (maybe with wood filler or something), but obviously it's best not to cut too deeply in the first place!

Good luck. :)

EDIT: One more thing - If you do file the saddle, don't forget the obvious. Wood files more quickly than bone. If you're used to filing bone or hard plastic nuts and saddles then you'll find that slots in wood deepen more quickly and with fewer strokes of the file. You'll need to check more often and be more careful than you would with a bone or hard plastic saddle.

Last edited:
Thanks Buddhu,

I re-measured how you said, fretted at the third fret... measurements from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string is around 3.5mm. The nut is fine, the action at the top of the board is perfect. The neck is straight as far as i can tell.

The thing is that there isn't bridge slots as such, its just flat with a little dent from the strings themselves. And although i know how to 'fix' the action on a standard bridge and saddle, this doesn't mean i have actually done it! lol I don't even know how to file my nails!!
From the measurements now would you say its not too bad or does that still sound very high to you? In all fairness it is my 'beater' ukulele, its the one thats gonna go with me wherever i go (when i actually go anywhere and get off this forum!)

Would you suggest me leaving it, as someone who could royally mess it up?

Is it a soprano? When I get home I'll measure the action on my wife's soprano.

Actually, I personally have always measured 12th fret action with open strings - no capo. I'd be more likely to use a capo (or hold the string down) when checking action at the nut, or checking neck relief (bow).

Well, as a rule I'd say if you're nervous about DIY setup stuff then don't do it. You could ask in your local music shop. My local one has a great guitar tech who is excellent at setting up guitars, ukes and mandolins. Many shops have good techs either in-house or a phone call away.

No slots... Hmm... If it were me (a reckless eejit who will have a go at any DIY adjustment except fret work) I'd either file/sand the saddle according to how it is currently executed, or simply lower the action by filing shallow slots.

But as I say, if you're not confident then I'd either leave it or seek assistance.

Yes its a soprano, and measuring open at the 12th fret its almost 5mm. Which i would think is quite a bit. I think i might take it into PMT (Local music shop) they have an in-house tech.

If you could measure your wife's soprano that would be helpful just so i know what it should reasonably be.

Thanks very much for your help, Buddhu! :)

No probs, mate.

Just one thing: judging by the name of your local music store, I hope you catch them on a good day.... :eek:

No probs, mate.

Just one thing: judging by the name of your local music store, I hope you catch them on a good day.... :eek:

LOL!! I thought that when i first saw it! Its a serious music shop though (if you like guitars) They have seperate walls for each brand, a whole wall of strats! It's pretty special lol No ukuleles though :(

Top Bottom