uke not staying in tune

squizz

Reaction score
hi

You all helped me choose a uke for my husbands anniversary present a few weeks back. I went for the Ohana CK-20S & he really likes it - so thanks everyone!

One problem though, it wont stay in tune. At first we thought maybe it had been knocked, but have left it on table all night & this morning, it's out of tune.

Any idea why this would happen

Last edited:
An 'uku will often go out of tune, especially with new strings. That'll happen quite drastically for about a week until the strings get used to the tension. But even then, you're still gonna have to retune. Gonna have to either learn to tune by ear or buy an electric tuner. They're pretty inexpensive and a very helpful tool. Much luck!

strings

Hi squizz
there are a lot of variables here. First off do you know which type of strings are fitted? Second have you stretched the strings at all? Third how often is it played? I could go on and on. If you trawl thru this site under strings or how to change strings you will find plenty of info on this subject. All strings take a while to settle down so just stick with it and enjoy!

Tutchi
Hope this helps:)

thanks for the speedy responses, very helpful. I was worried i'd bought a duff one! He has a tuner so will have to keep re-tuning for now!

Thanks!

My guess is also the strings being new and still settling in...also check the tuning pegs to make sure the screws are snug. On your pretty concert you have geared tuners, so the screw to check is the one in the middle of the metal backpiece below the worm. It doesn't have to be "gorilla" tight, just snug. I hope you have many years of good strumming, and congratulations on your Uke!:D

When I change my strings on my guitars (Steel or nylon), the srings need to be stretched and retuned. Should this be done on the uke as well?

Watch hoosierhiver's vid it really shows you how to stretch your strings so that your not tuning all the time. I pulled out an old Airline uke today that I haven't played in at least 2 months and it was almost in perfect tune. So just keep tuning and the strings will settle in.

Jack

Top Bottom