Sixteen tons

grammy

Reaction score
The classic folk song about the misery of the kentucky coal mines recorded first in 1946 by Merle Travis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kwnAU6lVFU&feature=channel_page

I first heard a version of this back in the 80's at Legends nightclub (Warrington uk) indie disco night aged 18. I think it shaped my attitude to work from that day to this.

So for all the monday morning miserable workers out there, this one is for you with sympathy, and some good advice given to me by an old coal miner from my home town whose lungs were full of coal dust and whose eyes were rheumy with a lifetime of workng down t'pit. 'Son, don't work hard, work smart.'

comments, rating and suggestions appreciated thanks.

(i seem to be having trouble with audio sync in windows movie maker so if anyone can recommend another editor i'd appreciate it.)

I like this one lots, you don't sound Hungarian, could you post the chords, I fancy having a bash. At last a song I can sing without any high notes, well done. Sub+1

Cheers dave, love your ukes by the way , i am deffo saving for a banjolele, im sure you could do one lefty for me right? probably be next year, the mrs will string me up otherwise, i'm allowed one new toy per year, and i've blown this years on a bunch of percussion stuff.

For less skilled players, can play with Em B and Am as per Ukulele Underground, also good for a bluesier rendition....If you haven't heard it yet, you must Listen to Manitoba Hal on Youtube doing 16 Tons "Bluezified for the Ukulele." (there are other versions including others by him)

Last edited:
Top Bottom