Advise on buying a soprano uke

Marie-Line

Reaction score
Hi all!

I hope this is the right board to post thie question

I've been playing a cheap but good Oscar Smith Concert uke now for some months, and I LOVE it! However, I would like to purchase a soprano ukelele as I plan to take it travelling with me. I found many good-reviewed $50 models on amazon, and I am happy with my cheap concert uke now, but am also considering 2 more expensive but beautiful ones: OHANA SK-50MG and Lanikai CK-S. Did anyone compare both? I read reviews and on this board, and both seem like a good buy. But I can't find any post here about the Lanikai CK-S.
Any help on deciding would be really appreciated!
Or even if I should just go with the cheaper ones... (Lanikai LU-21, which I also cant find on this board? why is that? seems like a good buy on Amazon) I'll take the uke traveling with me, but still I want one that I am really satisfied with. Preferably with a full, loud sound.

Any advise?
Mahalo!
Marie-Line

Welcome to UU!! When you said "travel", the first thing that comes to mind is a flea ukulele. They have a molded plastic body and are pretty rugged and sound great (albeit they look kinda funky). The Ohana is a good choice. I haven't really heard anything about the Lanikai CK-S other than they are laminate, not solid koa (sure are pretty, though). Some other options are Kala brand from MGM (He's a member here, just give him a call and tell him what you're looking for). If you can go a few more dollars, I can't say enough good things about Mainland (the owner is also a member here and a super guy).

And as far as the Lanikai LU-21...I have one and I like it a whole bunch. Here's a sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp1eDgmX3c0&feature=channel_page

Good luck in your quest.

thanks a lot! I was also looking into the Flea... but it's kind of expensive to b eplastic, and looks like a toy, I think? Maybe I need to get used to the idea more...
I heard some videos and it's hard to really compare... Now I am also looking into the Brueko uke's, they look wellpriced and sturdy too!
I guess I dont want it too be very expensive-looking, so it doesnt get stolen... so wont go for my previoud 2 ideas :) they look a little too shiny...

wow I LOVE the sound of your video! Really niice sound, full and loud but also warm. Makes me really think of buying that Lanikai :) It's so cheap that it wouldnt be a disater if it got stolen or broken (but ver very sad of course! As I tend to just fall in love with my uke :eek:) Just need to find a strong but light bag then to drag it along attached to my backpack...

I tried to find good examples of the Brueko ukelele's but cant... anyone?

Thanks!! :-D

I'm having a hard time with my concertsize to put my pinky on some strings sometimes, am wondering if that would be easier with a soprano? is it all a little closer together then?

I've owned a couple Ohana's, and I've been impressed by their build and finish, and their sound. I don't think you can go wrong with one at their price.

For the money... the Makala Soprano can't be beat (dolphin)

The Ohana 50MG sounds great and so does the Jeny Soprano or Engleman Pineapple......... All around the 160.00 mark

I posted a Koloa and a Koalana (chinese Koaloha) up on the Flea Market site and they are very nice sounding (I have around 40 ukes!) both are solid mahogany

Thanks Ukerazy :) I saw you raving about the Bruko several times in other pots... I think to me it sounds too hard... I want it to sound more 'full', don't know how to explain :)

Thanks Ukerazy :) I saw you raving about the Bruko several times in other pots... I think to me it sounds too hard... I want it to sound more 'full', don't know how to explain :)

I understand what you mean, in some way the Brueko is harsh... I wouldn't like to think it was my one and only uke but i do love it!

Ok so I am down to OR the Flea, or the Lanikai LU-21 .... Reason is that I will be travelling for some months, want to get some kind of case for it and strap it to my backpack... But I want it to sound full and complete... I do like the Lanakai sound a lot... But I just cant decide!! HElpppppp :)
Flea is much more expensive and not so hawaii-ish, but if it is really so amazing ad people claim it might be the right choice?
Its just so hard to decide cause I cant go try or hold them, I will order them online and pick my new uke up in the USA... So thats why :) I am sure if I would see them I would just "fee;" which one will be my true next love :eek:

Hi Marie-Line. I'm a newbie and the Lanakai LU-21 is my only uke. I don't have much experience or any other ukes to compare it to, but I like it a lot. It's easy to play, seems well made, looks cute and sounds really good to me. I bought it from MGM. It came with a little gig bag (not padded, not good for traveling.)

Hi Marie-Line. I'm a newbie and the Lanakai LU-21 is my only uke. I don't have much experience or any other ukes to compare it to, but I like it a lot. It's easy to play, seems well made, looks cute and sounds really good to me. I bought it from MGM. It came with a little gig bag (not padded, not good for traveling.)

I don't have a Lanikai (my only uke is a harmony) but i've heard that the LU-21 comes out of tune frequently. Is that true?

I don't have a Lanikai (my only uke is a harmony) but i've heard that the LU-21 comes out of tune frequently. Is that true?

I've never had any problems. When you get a new uke, or put new strings on, it is normal for the strings to stretch and go out of tune. This lasts for about a week or so (depending on how much you are playing). Once the strings settle, it stays in tune pretty well. Strings will also go out of tune when there are big temperature changes.

ok thanks a lot guys :)
kind of looking into the Kala travel ukulele too now... I just wish I could hold and see them all! But there's really no shops around here :-/ and I'm going to the USA soon anyway so can order it there and pick it up.
But still no decision. Guess there is no bad one, so that makes choosing hard :)

I really like the Kala Fruit sopranos series. They're adorable, and surprisingly loud and a great uke for its price and cuteness.

But they are all laminate, which I suppose isn't as good as a solid top.

I love the look of that Kala kiwi. So fun!
KAKIWI_body-front.jpg

lol :) they definitely look fun! But I'm allergic to kiwi's ;) So it gives me more a "NO! RUUNN!" reflex.

too many great options :)

lol :) they definitely look fun! But I'm allergic to kiwi's ;) So it gives me more a "NO! RUUNN!" reflex.

too many great options :)

Well, they make the same variety uke with watermelon and pineapple prints. It's pretty awesome. This is a really good review here.

I'm deciding myself between two kinds of Kalas and Lanikai's myself. XD

Top Bottom