Buying a uke as a present?

Reaction score
i need some help! it's my boyfriend's 18th birthday in a couple of months so i want to get him a really good present. he already owns a vineyard which is pretty good sounding but he's always talking about getting another. trouble is, i play ukulele but i'm pretty useless at knowing what sounds good and stuff, and i have no idea where to start. i won't have the money to buy it for a while so just suggestions of makes/sellers/types of ukulele so i have something to go off would be nice.

(oh and also i'm in the uk so preferably something i could access there. i'm willing to pay sort of up to £200 ish for the uke plus shipping.)

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

You're pretty limited in the U.K in what you can get hold of, you have quite a good budget though. You could go for a higher end Kala at that price, possibly a mango Kala or Lanikai brand. Also you could buy from www.ukulele.de the shop is based in Germany, Rigk who runs it is great to deal with (I have bought from them myself and i'm also in the U.K)
Depending on what size ukulele you're looking for you could get a Pono from him, I love mine but like alot of things, the lower end one gets mixed reviews.

You could also order from MGM on ebay http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room__W0QQ_armrsZ1 hes in Hawaii but then you would have customs charges (I'm waiting on something from MGM at present)

There is also the Southern ukulele store on E-bay, they carry Ohana and Kala among others. http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Southern-Ukulele-Store__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZQQ_sasiZ1

I hope i've helped you in some way.

thankyou so much! that ebay site looks like it might have some things that he'd like, hopefully they'll still have some good stuff once i've got the cash. thanks!

You're very welcome, the southern ukulele store updates stock quite often. I hope you find something nice.

What a great catch you are. I can recommend the Ohana over the Kala. I've owned both, and the Ohana's just seem nicer, to me. They have a nicer finish, and I like the sound better. In particular, I think the CK-25 or SK-25 are great bargains. They are beautiful and are loud with great sound, almost like a harp.

i need some help! it's my boyfriend's 18th birthday in a couple of months so i want to get him a really good present. he already owns a vineyard which is pretty good sounding but he's always talking about getting another. trouble is, i play ukulele but i'm pretty useless at knowing what sounds good and stuff, and i have no idea where to start. i won't have the money to buy it for a while so just suggestions of makes/sellers/types of ukulele so i have something to go off would be nice.

(oh and also i'm in the uk so preferably something i could access there. i'm willing to pay sort of up to £200 ish for the uke plus shipping.)

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I highly recommend Lanikai ukes. They are one of the few brands you can actually pick up in the UK too. £200 will get you a decent flamed maple or koa model. Newcastle Music (www.newcastlemusic.co.uk) sell all of them. I've heard good things about Kala too but have never played one so can't really comment on how they sound.

I'm currently selling a Lanikai concert uke for £175 or nearest offer on eBay (with case and tuner), shameless plug but here it is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180403426320

Welcome to the forum by the way.

You didn't mention what size his current uke is. I can't speak for brands, but my inclination would be to get him a different size uke just for the sake of variety. Maybe you could work that into the conversation somehow.

@upskydowncloud; i'd be interested if i had the money now! gotta save up, though, i'm currently poor :) he already has a concert tho so probably won't get him another like that

@itsme; he's got a concert and i've got a soprano so i was gonna get him a tenor or baritone. variety is good!

thanks again guys. difficult trying to find one that's the right mixture of pretty and good to play! i'm new to all this musical stuff.

well baritone is tuned differently to the others just so you know, so he would have to learn new chords.

well baritone is tuned differently to the others just so you know, so he would have to learn new chords.

Not really. Just new names for the same chord shapes.

oh, he's very, very good. not just at uke, music in general. new chord names/shapes will be easy as hell for him. :)

you should dress up as an ukulele and let him take you out to show everyone that he loves his ukuleles. :D

goddamn i wish i'd thought of that first. now my present is just not as cool in comparison.

anyone happen to be selling a ukulele costume? XD

Top Bottom