Ukulele as Airplane Carry-On Luggage

Chronos

Reaction score
I'll be be hopping on a plane next month for a short trip and the host has asked me to bring one of my ukuleles. I'll be bringing a tenor Lanikai in the standard case it comes with, but I don't know if it will fit as carry-on luggage.

Does anyone here have experience with bringing their instrument as carry-on luggage on a flight?

I have brought a tenor on as a carry on alot. From a big 777 down to a small 9 passenger island hopper in Hawaii. You should have no problem. I see people carry on guitars alot, so you should not have any issues.

I have had airline personnel try to make me check my guitar. I had to fight very hard to prevent it. Hopefully with a uke you won't have a problem, but be aware that they might try.

Just glad I could help. You might want to try and be one of the first on the plane to make sure you get it in a overhead compartment, otherwise you might have some problems putting it under the seat in front of you. I have done that but it takes most of your leg room and only on a window seat.

My last two trips to the 50th, I had no problems carrying my tenor on board. Then again, I flew Hawaiian. Dunno if it makes a difference.

I have had airline personnel try to make me check my guitar. I had to fight very hard to prevent it. Hopefully with a uke you won't have a problem, but be aware that they might try.
Interesting... thanks backdoc. Maybe a tenor will be small enough for them to not care. =)

Victoria Vox did it and she actually played her ukulele on the plane while they were in the air. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQNe9wMZGys
She used her fluke tho cuz its so compact and just fits in a little sling pack. If you go you should just use that fluke or flea that you won from that contest :D

Chronos, a few thoughts:

1. I've flown with my tenor (a Lanikai) several times and have had no trouble doing carry on. Just make sure it's in the upper compartment (it doesn't even have to be over over your seat).

2. I fly with a Lanikai because if some did happen to it, I wouldn't be too upset.

3. There's also a trick, which I claim no credit for, I first heard about it from guys like Daniel Ho and James Hill (don't know them, just know they do this). If you run into gate personnel that tell you your case is too big and must be checked (it will always be at the gate for the plane, not security), don't fight with them. Just let them gate check the case. But first, take your ukulele out of the case, wrap it in your jacket, and carry it on. Just be a little more careful how you put it in an overhead compartment. :)

Have fun on your trip.

-John

3. There's also a trick, which I claim no credit for, I first heard about it from guys like Daniel Ho and James Hill (don't know them, just know they do this). If you run into gate personnel that tell you your case is too big and must be checked (it will always be at the gate for the plane, not security), don't fight with them. Just let them gate check the case. But first, take your ukulele out of the case, wrap it in your jacket, and carry it on. Just be a little more careful how you put it in an overhead compartment. :)

Have fun on your trip.

-John

Ooooo, sounds scary to me, but if James Hill does it, then it might be ok.

Haha... I'm flying to Minnesota. They might not even know what an ukulele is. ;)

Haha, you're right, not very many people know about ukes here.:confused:

I've flown between Minnesota to Hawaii (via Portland) and Las Vegas with ukes before with no problems on Northwest Airlines.

I just flew from Detroit to San Diego, from San Diego to Minneapolis, and Minn to Detroit again with no issues carrying my Kanile'aTenor in a ProPack case with a shoulder strap. To avoid any questions at all, I slung it over my back like a laptop or attache with teh instrument behind me...no one even batted a eye or anything. Just be nonchalant and wal right on like you own the plane. No one will care. I also flew Northwest.

Airlines differ on what they allow on board as "carry-on" luggage. It also depends on what kind of a day the Purser (Lead Flight Attendant) and CS (Customer Service) Agents are having. If they're on the "rag" so to speak - they might give you static.

BUT - having said that... for the most part, MOST airlines don't have problems letting someone bring their ukulele on as carry-on (especially since it's considered fragile) and don't want the liability if it gets broken in the cargo pit.

BTW - our airline allows ukulele's on as "carry-on". Here's who I work for...
l_a5d741bad328f9a65d2150fde3d7111d.jpg

Just a random little thing... if you get a chance to look at the monitor while your uke is going through the x-ray at security... do so. It's a rather neat sight.

There's also this theory that if you gate-check it, it's last to go in and first to come out. But I wager that the uke is safer in the cabin with no case than in the case in the cargo hold.

yea

yea, not to worry...i always carry on my ukulele to and from hawaii and nothing happens...just make sure no one takes it...

i would also recommend a hard case if you dont already have one.

I travel alot with one or two cases of ukulele as carryon. Never had a problem...but i always if i can hold the uke away from the eyes of the gate personal so my body blocks it or if its a lanikai type case with straps strap it on and keep it behind my back so they really dont notice it. Cruise in as if you have no care in the world and NEVER ask if it is okay to carry on. The least they know the better.

I travel alot with one or two cases of ukulele as carryon. Never had a problem...but i always if i can hold the uke away from the eyes of the gate personal so my body blocks it or if its a lanikai type case with straps strap it on and keep it behind my back so they really dont notice it. Cruise in as if you have no care in the world and NEVER ask if it is okay to carry on. The least they know the better.

thats exactly what i did when i came back with my tenor last summer. they just smile.

Top Bottom