Dunlop System 65 Guitar Tech Kit - for Ukes

Whoa what a coincidence. I just bought some earlier today from Guitar Center. I'll let you know after I try it out but I purchased it based on all the reviews I read. They ran out of the maintenance kit which is what I originally came in for so picked up the tech kit instead. Nice of them to include the string winder too.

The price in the link you provided is the best price I've found online. I paid $22 plus tax so definately by from zzsounds.

I have only used the fretboard cleaner 01 and conditioner 02 and they worked great. As far as cleaning the body I only use a micro fiber cloth. I think other members are using the whole kit so I'm sure that they can tell you about the body polish part.

Jack

Whoa what a coincidence. I just bought some earlier today from Guitar Center. I'll let you know after I try it out but I purchased it based on all the reviews I read. They ran out of the maintenance kit which is what I originally came in for so picked up the tech kit instead. Nice of them to include the string winder too.

The price in the link you provided is the best price I've found online. I paid $22 plus tax so definately by from zzsounds.

WHAT THE?!?! Dude that's the exact same thing I did for the exact same reason ... today. Whoa. :eek:

[edit] Haha and we're in the same area too. Did you go to the GC in Fountain Valley??

I have only used the fretboard cleaner 01 and conditioner 02 and they worked great. As far as cleaning the body I only use a micro fiber cloth. I think other members are using the whole kit so I'm sure that they can tell you about the body polish part.

Jack

Good to know, pithaya. I was concerned more with my satin finish ukes. Also the KoAloha has a very lite gloss on the body as well as the fretboard so I'm wondering if I could use the kit for that.

I actually just went to the Lake Forest location. Great minds think alike LOL!!!

I just finished cleaning up both my ukes. Ones a satin finish mahogany and the other is a Kanilea built Lanikai which uses the UV coating. The polish/cleaner worked like a charm. Both ukes are new so it wasn't like a night and day difference like cleaning up a really dirty uke. It did a great job of cleaning up smudges/fingerprints on the gloss finish though. Unless your sating finish uke is filthy you won't really notice a thing since they don't show any fingerprints or anything like that. At least you'll know the surface is clean :D

Let us know how you like the product since there isn't much mention of it here on UU.

I just finished cleaning up both my ukes. Ones a satin finish mahogany and the other is a Kanilea built Lanikai which uses the UV coating. The polish/cleaner worked like a charm. Both ukes are new so it wasn't like a night and day difference like cleaning up a really dirty uke. It did a great job of cleaning up smudges/fingerprints on the gloss finish though. Unless your sating finish uke is filthy you won't really notice a thing since they don't show any fingerprints or anything like that. At least you'll know the surface is clean :D

Let us know how you like the product since there isn't much mention of it here on UU.

I actually haven’t used it yet but plan too once my Worth clears arrive so I can do a full on cleaning with the strings off.

So you used the polish/cleaner for your satin finish ukes too? I was scared to do that but sounds like it still worked well, huh? I assume you used a very very small amount especially for the satin finish?

Hey Ronin,

I think the main difference between my Fender kit and the Dunlop you're looking at is that the Fender kit is more hardcore. The Fender has the Haze and Swirl remover that helps to take out scratches. It looks like the Dunlop kit is more for daily polishing and cleaning from the description. I needed the compound to help take out the scratches on my Kamaka that I bought used. The Fender kit did not have a specific fret board cleaner but you could use plain lemon oil or buy the Dunlop fret board kit.

The reason I even knew about the Fender kit is because Brian at Koaloha told me about it.

BTW, the Redondo Guitar Center had one Fender kit left after I bought mine.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Ronnie ... yeah man the photos you posted of the Kamaka looked mint!!

I actually haven’t used it yet but plan too once my Worth clears arrive so I can do a full on cleaning with the strings off.

So you used the polish/cleaner for your satin finish ukes too? I was scared to do that but sounds like it still worked well, huh? I assume you used a very very small amount especially for the satin finish?

I used a very little amount (about 2 pumps) because the directions said a little goes a long way. It worked fine for the satin finish. I jsut did a light cleaning on both ukes and when I do my first string change I'm gonna try the lemon oil on the fretboard and bridge.

There is another product called Virtuoso that yields very nice results. I've seen people polish satin finishes to a gloss finish.

The only thing I wish this kit included was some type of swirl remover.

I used some dark Old English on my Fluke's rosewood fretboard and it looks and feels lovely. I probably ought to invest in the Dunlop or Meguiar's/Fender kit though.

Ok after digging around regarding the polish I found this response from an actual Dunlop rep "Yes, Formula 65 does contain a very small amount of silicone. The overall amount is less than 2% of the overall content. If you are going to use the product, please be advised of the following: If there are any cracks, chips and or checking do not spray the polish directly on the finish. Doing so will cause the polish to get under the finish."

This is very disappointing that they did not put this in the label. I was looking for something of the market with absolutely ZERO silicon :mad: . Although is contains less than 2% the fact that is has silicon is of concern to me.

I think I'll make the switch to the Fender Kit or some other brands that are silicon free. I hope my local guitar center will accept the return especially since I opened it last night.

Good lookin’ out skywalker!

Hmmm ... is 2% really that bad though?

I know the rep from Magauirs (sp?) said that there was no silicone in the Fender kit but I’m not sure that “no” means absolutely 0% or “negligable quantities.”

I better go see if I can fish out the box from the garbage can haha.

I know the rep from Magauirs (sp?) said that there was no silicone in the Fender kit but I’m not sure that “no” means absolutely 0% or “negligable quantities.”

If you're looking for the box to see if it says the Fender kit has any silicone in it the only thing it specifically states is that the Mist contains no silicone. It doesn't say anything about the other two bottles. However, I'm assuming the customer rep who told you that they didn't would have told you if there were any at all since it was a concern to you.

You're a Ronin, go for it! Eddie Would Go!:D

Not sure if 2% is bad or not. I'd rather use something with zero silicon. I'm sure if you use it once in awhile you should be ok. Knowing myself I have OCD when it comes to keeping my stuff clean after playing so I'll be cleaning most often than others might.

I also called Meguiars earlier today and they confirmed that all three bottles contain no silicon. I was able to make the exchange so I'll try the 3 step process later and let you know what I think. Ronnie's pictures really made me a believer of this product. I should have went for it in the first place :p

BTW what's MSDS?

MSDS stands for Materials Safety Data Sheet. In our lab we're supposed to have an MSDS for any substance or material we use or store there. Though they've never called us out for not having this one.

Top Bottom