Guitar/ukulele Jam / Capo Question

smgold101

Reaction score
Hey this may be a stupid question but I need some help. If I'm playing with someone on guitar and they have a capo on their guitar lets say on the 2nd fret would this mean for my ukulele and the guitar to sound right I would also need to have a capo on the 2nd fret?
Thanks in advance I just like jamming with pple on guitar but sometimes it just doesnt sound quite right.
-Seth

Doesn't matter...as long as you both are playing in the same key. If your guitarist playing a G chord...you too should play a G chord. Your guitarist is using a capo so that he/she can use familiar open chord shapes to play in a different key. If you place a capo at the 2nd fret and play your "C" chord, it will be a "D" chord. G becomes A, and so on.

It's important to remember that there are chord shapes and the actual sound they produce. So as bongofury pointed out, if you're playing a G on your un-capoed* ukulele, the same shape becomes G# capoed at the first fret, A capoed at the second, etc.

There are three reasons to play with a capo:
  • To shift the key of a song you already know into one that a vocalist or other instrument can deal with easily.
  • To make chords in a song that are hard to deal with (e.g., the infamous E major on a uke) more accessible to players who aren't good at unusual chord shapes.
  • For a particular sound. There are songs that I can play just fine with the strings open but sound better in the same chords (but different shapes) capoed at another position.

So a song that goes C#-F#-G# might be called out as "Capo 1" and have its chords (shapes) called out as as C-F-G because that's how it was originally played or because whoever did the transcription figured it would be easier to deal with.

There are songs I play with a capo on the guitar that work out just fine on an un-capoed uke; you just have to know what the chords actually are and see if they fit.

--Mark

*I will be consulting with Dan Quayle on the proper spelling of this word. :D

I had a fly fishing friend that played guitar and mandolin with Ricky Skaggs. We recorded a few tunes in a studio together and Ben would capo up the neck and play in harmony to my guitar. He was not playing the same chord, it was an actual harmony. I first time I tried to wrap my brain around that I thought my head would melt.

Top Bottom