Vanity

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Out with thelabels in with the brand...

Brand.jpg

That looks fantastic, Pete! I would be nervous about over doing the brand or not holding the iron evenly and getting one side darker than the other. But I'm all thumbs and not an artist like you!

That really looks awesome and classy, Pete.

Hi Pete, it's been a while since I've been on the boards.

I love this! Reminds me of my old Martin... it's a simple and timeless look. The pure definition of classy!

What is the method used to make one of these? I'm assuming you send out a design to get it made? And then it's an electric burner type thingy? I dunno.

john

It was an homage to the classic American builders who branded and stil;l brand their work. Electric iron, brilliant company... the first i had done by Rockler was clumsy and 'industrial' but these latest guys just took instructions and went away and did it. very pleased. Now I have to experiment to get the heat right - just about branded every flat piece of scrap wood in the workshop out of excitement!

PS: Desogn for this is from my good friend Phil Powell - a top man if ever there was one! he doesn't like it tho, prefering the paper label from which the legend is extracted.

Brian at Brand First. Just send the art wotrk and Bob's your uncle - three weeks later it looks like you are trying to copy Martin or Pete: for that matter.... :smileybounce:

When I was a lad of 15 in 1954 ..I was in the "Boy Scouts" I and other Scouts spent a weekend at "Hesley Woods Scout Camp" near Barnsley..while I was there! the Scout Leader took all of us to a Log cabin in the campsite centre..There he produced one of these "electric branding irons"..I remember that the switch was built into the iron..it didn't start to get hot untill the pressure was applied..The design was the Standard "fleur de lease Boy scout emblem" with "Hesley Woods" under it ..we all had our leather Scout Belts branded with it (to remember the weekend):shaka:....I wasnt satisfied with mine co's it was a bit "wonky"......So these were in use a long time back in the UK and In the US also.:eek:ld:..It's great to know they are still being made.

Top Bottom