FS (Regretfully): Kamaka White label sop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

petah

Reaction score
What sucks up more $$ than my girl friend? School and my 3k tuition fees this semester. I really don't want to sell but a student Loan isn't an option.

No repairs. No needed repairs. All original condition. Solid (one piece)Koa face, (book matched)back, and sides. Mahogany (I think) neck with koa fretboard and bridge. Also a nice tweed case is included.

Issues: crazing, scratches, dings and a dry fretboard. It was also touched by Deach.

I have pictures plastered over UU just check my started threads.

I want to give back to UU and offer it at the price I originally bought it for but I really need to pay for school. So I will go at the going Ebay rate.

and yes, the GF said I can sell it. Sorry.

Send me a PM. if you want more pictures or info.

I say going eBay rate on a Vintage kamaka. what is it? I see on ebay from 100-500. With case and shipping/insurance. Is 350-400 to much to ask? If so offer. ( shipping is around 50 -70 )

I feel bad selling... But I need to pay for school... I already sold a few things that I swore I'd never sell...
Heh... this sucks.

Thanks .FM.

I think I should step in at this point and mention a few things. I am not necessarily trying to defame anyone, or start a flame war, but I think that I should say what I know and believe.

First of all, Petah was fortunate enough to buy this Kamaka soprano at the blowout price of $150 from Deach. I'm sure a lot of people wanted it (and now is their chance to get it, I guess.) That was about a month ago, so this is a quick turnaround sale here.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16682

Secondly, thanks to the excellent customer service at KoAloha,Petah got a brand new, handpicked soprano from the factory to replace a KoAloha that he had bought USED and which had some problems with finish and the saddle. KoAloha warrantees (and those of most major high-end companies) are very generous, but also only apply to the first owner. In other words, Petah’s used uke was not covered. Yet Paul steps in and offers a completely new soprano to replace it. That’s stellar service.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15678

Now, as a college student myself, I need to sympathize with Petah, because I know that school is expensive, and have a lot of friends who are taking out big loans or signing with the military (I'm all for our Armed Forces), to pay for school. For purposes of full disclosure, I receive a very generous academic-merit-based scholarship from my university, and my parents (Asian parents who highly value education) are helping me pay the dorm. So I don't have to sell my instruments. But I do understand if Petah is selling for college.

However, two things bother me.

First, just a few weeks ago, Petah was looking to buy another relatively-expensive uke. Possible bad financial planning, and didn’t foresee school expenses?
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17954

And second, two weeks ago, I received a PM from Petah inquiring about purchasing my Kamaka soprano that I had mentioned a LONG time ago on the forums. That’s all fine and good, but then, he revealed that he was planning on selling the KoAloha that he just got from Paul because it was too bright.

As an economics minor, working as an economic researcher currently, and having competed nationally in economics, I’m all for free market and when someone buys or receives the title to something, they should be allowed to sell it for whatever price they want and for any reason they want.

But really? Getting a great uke from a great company that was honoring a void warrantee, getting a great uke from a great man who makes very generous contributions to the ukulele community, then turning around to sell them both to pay for school, while still actively looking to purchase other Hawaii-made ukes…

Again, I’m not trying to start a fight. I’m just saying what I see.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of how this whole thing is going down either...i'm just saying.

WOW!! Great points. Under other circumstances I'd be interested.

Maybe Petah could step up and re-sell the kamaka for 150, same as he bought it. I'm sure there were people lining up for blocks when deach sold it. That way he gets some scratch, and somebody gets a great kamaka.

I know I haven't been around as long as some folks here, but the sense of family and community is overwhelming. Deals in the marketplace really do feel like dealing with family. There was a little hubbub over somebody pimping their ebay auction a while ago, and just like this, it wasn't against the rules per say, but it doesn't feel like something family does.

It's pretty common to see ukes in the marketplace going for well under what they're worth, and there is a whole vocabulary based on the giving away of ukuleles here. I don't believe in Karma, but I do believe that people take notice of the abuse of generosity. I get the feeling deals will dry up for those who take advantage.

Just my before coffee rambling. Hope this works out like it ought to. :shaka:

Maybe Petah could step up and re-sell the kamaka for 150, same as he bought it. I'm sure there were people lining up for blocks when deach sold it. That way he gets some scratch, and somebody gets a great kamaka.

I know I haven't been around as long as some folks here, but the sense of family and community is overwhelming. Deals in the marketplace really do feel like dealing with family. There was a little hubbub over somebody pimping their ebay auction a while ago, and just like this, it wasn't against the rules per say, but it doesn't feel like something family does.

It's pretty common to see ukes in the marketplace going for well under what they're worth, and there is a whole vocabulary based on the giving away of ukuleles here. I don't believe in Karma, but I do believe that people take notice of the abuse of generosity. I get the feeling deals will dry up for those who take advantage.

Just my before coffee rambling. Hope this works out like it ought to. :shaka:

As the guy who was pimping his uke auction here, I have to say, there's nothing wrong with trying to get fair market value for one's instrument, the problem here seems to be a possible misrepresentation of economic distress. With my latest auction, I did try to follow the unwritten group guidelines and listed my uke here first, and got no nibbles, so I moved it to ebay. Tomorrow I will be updating my original UU listing to indicate the auction is about to close. It's for a couple month old Kala cedar top that goes for $235+ new. Opening bid is for $170--I don't know what else you'd like me to do, I'm not rich, I can't afford to give it away, and as much as I like this group, you're not my family. Then again, if you were, I'd probably be coming here a lot less often than I am! ;)

I think I should step in at this point and mention a few things. I am not necessarily trying to defame anyone, or start a flame war, but I think that I should say what I know and believe.

First of all, Petah was fortunate enough to buy this Kamaka soprano at the blowout price of $150 from Deach. I'm sure a lot of people wanted it (and now is their chance to get it, I guess.) That was about a month ago, so this is a quick turnaround sale here.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16682

Secondly, thanks to the excellent customer service at KoAloha,Petah got a brand new, handpicked soprano from the factory to replace a KoAloha that he had bought USED and which had some problems with finish and the saddle. KoAloha warrantees (and those of most major high-end companies) are very generous, but also only apply to the first owner. In other words, Petah’s used uke was not covered. Yet Paul steps in and offers a completely new soprano to replace it. That’s stellar service.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15678

Now, as a college student myself, I need to sympathize with Petah, because I know that school is expensive, and have a lot of friends who are taking out big loans or signing with the military (I'm all for our Armed Forces), to pay for school. For purposes of full disclosure, I receive a very generous academic-merit-based scholarship from my university, and my parents (Asian parents who highly value education) are helping me pay the dorm. So I don't have to sell my instruments. But I do understand if Petah is selling for college.

However, two things bother me.

First, just a few weeks ago, Petah was looking to buy another relatively-expensive uke. Possible bad financial planning, and didn’t foresee school expenses?
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17954

And second, two weeks ago, I received a PM from Petah inquiring about purchasing my Kamaka soprano that I had mentioned a LONG time ago on the forums. That’s all fine and good, but then, he revealed that he was planning on selling the KoAloha that he just got from Paul because it was too bright.

As an economics minor, working as an economic researcher currently, and having competed nationally in economics, I’m all for free market and when someone buys or receives the title to something, they should be allowed to sell it for whatever price they want and for any reason they want.

But really? Getting a great uke from a great company that was honoring a void warrantee, getting a great uke from a great man who makes very generous contributions to the ukulele community, then turning around to sell them both to pay for school, while still actively looking to purchase other Hawaii-made ukes…

Again, I’m not trying to start a fight. I’m just saying what I see.

i can't plus rep you again because of previous plus rep, but great sleuthing Jon. i knew something smelled fishy here.

to the OP, good luck with your financial situation but reselling something for profit that you bought for cheap on these forums and blaming it on your girlfriend may not have been the smartest move. that said, do what you like. karma or not, it's a free country.

I would have loved to have taken Deach up on that wonderful opportunity. He gave some people here at UU the chance to have something we might usually not be able to afford. Had i have had the funds at the time i would have snapped it up, and i can safely say it would have been with me forever. Not only for the fact that its a Kamaka at a great price but the generosity that was behind it.

It's just a shame it didn't go to someone who really wanted to treasure it.

i can't plus rep you again because of previous plus rep, but great sleuthing Jon. i knew something smelled fishy here...

I'll +1 for you then.

Perhaps the OP can straighten some things out, but until then...

I was also looking at completed auctions on eBay today and it looks like Kamaka standard are averaging in the $250 range shipped. some more, some less depending. But lots to be had for under $300. Just sayin'..

I seriously am not trying to pile on...but the worm can has been opened. I have two issues here...One is that someone who i consider a good friend did offer up some great instruments at unbelievably low prices, and I feel like that was taken advantage of (and yes I wanted it too), but the second thing is that it was purchased under the guise of a great birthday gift for a girlfriend...now it's being resold at a profit to pay tuition? I've never heard of anyone taking a gift back from a person to sell it to pay of debt. I guess that is really none of my business...but whole things smells....

.....also pre-coffee ramblings....:eek:

I agree. Something smells fishy. It seems that the generosity of Paul and the big D have been taken advantage of. Not cool.

It would appear, judging purely by the aforementioned actions on this board, that Petah has some issues surrounding fiscal management, personal responsibility, and maturity that he needs to address. I don't say this to throw stones - I say it as one who has been there before.

Again, the purpose of this post is not to slam Petah but to help him in a way that will benefit him long-term.

I really don't care what he does with the uke. It's his. I didn't give him a special price or any special treatment. He was fast enough to get in on the deal that was offered to everyone. I also didn't read what his intent was when he bought the uke, not that it would have mattered.

I really don't care what he does with the uke. It's his. I didn't give him a special price or any special treatment. He was fast enough to get in on the deal that was offered to everyone. I also didn't read what his intent was when he bought the uke, not that it would have mattered.

Who asked you?!?

:smileybounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom